Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We only want a point against the Czech Republic

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've no agenda against Southgate. I hope we win the thing and go as far as possible. I just can't get my head around some of his decisions. It's more important he is right than I am.

This.

Having an opinion is not having an 'agenda'.

I think he's a very limited coach, and I EXPECT his conservative selections and tactics will see us underperform. I don't WANT that to happen, obviously :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
stumbling past Colombia is still better than losing to Iceland

Yes, we have talented young players but Erikson had the golden generation and only managed a quarter final

As someone else said lets judge this tournament afterwards, people with minds made up mid-way through the tournament when we are still very much in it, again, clearly have an agenda

But in 2002 we lost to the winners of the tournament and in 2006 we had to play with 10 men. Hardly Erikson's fault our star players couldn't take a pen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We could - should - have won Euro 2004 if Rooney hadn't got injured or Alan Shearer had jumped off the bench to replace him when he did (he retired too early).

I've no agenda against Southgate. I hope we win the thing and go as far as possible. I just can't get my head around some of his decisions. It's more important he is right than I am.

This. See also people suggesting you didn't enjoy your team's win because you've dared to criticise a coach or player. Did I enjoy my team winning? Yes. Yes I did.

I don't expect that Southgate has the tactical nous to get past a difficult team in tournament football. He certainly couldn't in 2018. However, I enjoyed every sun-soaked second of that competition up until the final whistle of the Croatia game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Obviously the best result is to top the group back on subject:

Last 16 at Wembley
If we were to win it (and not sure I can see it v Germany or France) we’d prob get winner from Spain’s group - which may well not be Spain.
The 2 Chelsea lads have to isolate til next Monday - we would play on Tuesday if win the group
We will get some momentum back
We will win a football match
We don’t know why the routes are as the other 2 groups play after us

Win it pls.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Denmark and Greece prove that ordinary teams can win The Euros. That’s what I’m pinning my hopes on.
Come on Ordinary England.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Its inevitable that Englands game will be a bore draw this evening, whilst both Scotland and Croatia need/want to win . . . . . IS there any point watching the England game ?

Unless Ben White starts.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
But in 2002 we lost to the winners of the tournament and in 2006 we had to play with 10 men. Hardly Erikson's fault our star players couldn't take a pen.

You can only judge a manager on their record. Despite having the golden generation Erikson could only muster a quarter final. Southgate semi.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Obviously the best result is to top the group back on subject:

Last 16 at Wembley
If we were to win it (and not sure I can see it v Germany or France) we’d prob get winner from Spain’s group - which may well not be Spain.
The 2 Chelsea lads have to isolate til next Monday - we would play on Tuesday if win the group
We will get some momentum back
We will win a football match
We don’t know why the routes are as the other 2 groups play after us

Win it pls.

As always too much sense

(and i'm going tonight)

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
You can only judge a manager on their record. Despite having the golden generation Erikson could only muster a quarter final. Southgate semi.

I spent far too much time and money on travelling with England between 2000 & 2008. SGE was the biggest fraud of all of them. He didn’t have a clue how to change a game. Wasted the best squad that we’ve had in my lifetime. His worst crime though was to belittle the cap, I don’t think it’s fully recovered, it should be the pinnacle of a players career yet he started giving them out like confetti and changing entire teams at HT etc, all because he was scared of certain club managers and certain players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What do we think the team will be?

I think there's all kinds of attacking permutations that can be played with. Do we give Kane another attempt to play himself into the tournament? Replace him with Calvert-Lewin or Rashford? Or maybe play Foden as a false nine? I think ultimately he sticks with Kane.

I'm going with:

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Maguire
Shaw
Rice
Henderson
Foden
Grealish
Kane
Sancho

There's a certain element of wishful thinking involved with Grealish and Sancho. If Henderson and/or Maguire are to play any meaningful part in this tournament then they have to start. Maguire should be good for the full 90. Hopefully we can get 60 out of Henderson.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The result tonight is immaterial.

In this instance, I agree with people like [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] who have said it is the performance that matters. It's time to tell the players to go out there, take risks, be as creative as they want, and see what they can make happen.

If we are going to go far in this competition then we have to be entertaining, creative, committed and expert on that pitch. Tonight we should see if we have what it takes to be the best.

This.

I actually think he'll (deliberately) confound his critics today and play an attacking team (with instructions to be more positive). With Mount out, will it give Grealish a shot at the no.10 role he wants?

This is what I think* Southgate will put out:

Pickford
Trippier Maguire Stones Shaw
..Rice Bellingham
Grealish
Sancho .......... Sterling
Kane​

*OK, 'think' may be a bit strong... it's part think, part hope!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This.

I actually think he'll (deliberately) confound his critics today and play an attacking team (with instructions to be more positive). With Mount out, will it give Grealish a shot at the no.10 role he wants?

This is what I think* Southgate will put out:

Pickford
Trippier Maguire Stones Shaw
..Rice Bellingham
Grealish
Sancho .......... Sterling
Kane​

*OK, 'think' may be a bit strong... it's part think, part hope!

I really like the look of that. Don't think it'll happen, but it's pretty much what I'd pick

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This.

Having an opinion is not having an 'agenda'.

I think he's a very limited coach, and I EXPECT his conservative selections and tactics will see us underperform. I don't WANT that to happen, obviously :shrug:
Yes, thank you. I've been trying to say that in about half-a-dozen more wordy posts, but that sums it up nicely.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
f7e8a4ef-b2de-4f84-8e99-7aef1c2b900e.jpg

Play for the draw

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The missing England boys tonight deserve all they’ve got………. spending an additional 120 seconds close to a Scot when there was no need…….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here