Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We Need Two Forwards Up Front At The Start

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think that is a good formation away but we need to show more intent at home, two forwards

Agree.

I dont think that he looks as likely to score as Jake Robinson. It was blatantly obvious that Forster was needed at half time and I agree with Beech Hut I think Poyet still has a major problem with NF.

How demoralising would it be to hear that comment, ' not as likely to score as Jake Robinson'!!!! I don't think he has had anywhere near enough service to have opportunities to score.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The 4-5-1 has its advantages for a counter attacking side, which if you look at the games it has worked well in, that has been how we have played. A quick break after the opposition have been attacking and we use the width well and cause problems.

But when a side comes to "park the bus" it's not the formation to score.

Man Utd seem to have perfected the formation this season, but think about how many of their goals are started by Rooney from deep finding a wide man and finished by Rooney at the other end.

A 4-4-2 is better for a passing team as it gives players the ball to their feet in key areas.

as Gus played a vital part within a 4-4-2 throughout his premiership days I'm sure he knows its value and it's weakness. But Gus also has a job to do which is to get us promoted next year. This year can be used to experiment with formations and assess the abilities of his squad before he goes and brings in the additions to get us promoted.

I do believe that we are not far off being a top 6 side. In Gus we trust

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
4-5-1 congests the centre a little and limits the opposition's attacking options. When we went all-out, or even just 4-4-2, we didn't seem to have the players for that and El-Abd had more space to run around insanely in.
I think it's the formation to use until we get a more expert defence that don't need so much cover. It sures things up more and we have to hope the forwards are on song to nick a goal here and there. That was a possibility today, and sadly didn't work.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Regardless of all the bluster expressed by all the armchair managers in this thread, the formation we played today did not create any goals and the shots on target can yet again be counted on one hand!

Lua Lua was getting forward all game, if a little weary at the end, and putting a ball into a penalty area void of blue and white shirts. Murray was busy but ineffective again, IMO. His job is to score goals not to get become part of the midfield.

We needed a second striker today and that was apparent way before Swindon were handed their customary "away team's three points" by our two clowns in the central defense. Gus reacted too late instead of siezing the initiative to unlock the Swindon defence with a second striker, Fossie, not Holroyd.

Yet more points lost due to poor tactics I'm afraid. If we were up the top pushing for promotion, it would have really stuffed us up. Good job we're at the bottom only fighting to stay in the League for another season!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
But that takes one away from the midfield and weve been playing well wth 5 in the middle!

Lets face it, in the last 6 games against Leeds, Nowich, Charlton, Exeter, Colchester and Swindon weve lost 2!

Thats 5 of the teams in the top 6!!!!!

clueless post, painfully short of attacking options today, Gus needs to bury the hatchet with NF and play him up front with Forster tuesday

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
The 4-5-1 has its advantages for a counter attacking side, which if you look at the games it has worked well in, that has been how we have played. A quick break after the opposition have been attacking and we use the width well and cause problems.

But when a side comes to "park the bus" it's not the formation to score.

Man Utd seem to have perfected the formation this season, but think about how many of their goals are started by Rooney from deep finding a wide man and finished by Rooney at the other end.

A 4-4-2 is better for a passing team as it gives players the ball to their feet in key areas.

as Gus played a vital part within a 4-4-2 throughout his premiership days I'm sure he knows its value and it's weakness. But Gus also has a job to do which is to get us promoted next year. This year can be used to experiment with formations and assess the abilities of his squad before he goes and brings in the additions to get us promoted.

I do believe that we are not far off being a top 6 side. In Gus we trust

top 6 side??

you've been to see us what, once this season then??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here