Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need to talk about Kevin

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Strange mental film, enjoyed it but mental, i'm guessing the book the film is based on is nuts.

I would recommend watching it but the film is a bit hard to watch at times, but you feel for the Mum a great deal.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Elephant is a FAR superior film.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife talks very highly of this film and book. Not seen it myself.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I got round to watching elephant. I preferred We Need to Talk About Kevin. I thought Elephant was an interesting take on the subject but I wasn't blown away by it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I put it in the same category as Requiem for a Dream (though I don't rate it anywhere as highly). The kind of film you finish watching and think, 'that was a great film but I don't think I could watch it again!'

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Swinton gave a great performance but the whole premise was ridiculous. This child was the devils spawn but unlike the Omen films there was no reason or explanation as to why this child was like he was and even less realistic was the father who somehow after 17 years of living with this kid thought he was perfect. From crying constantly as a child, shitting its nappy on purpose, playing violent video games with dad whilst sreaming DIE DIE DIE in a demonic way, which his dad thought was perfectly normal to possibly blinding his sisters eye, we don't know as that wasn't explained adequately either, to apparently causing a slaughter merely with a bow and arrow all without logic or reason or explanation and the only merit in the film was to highlight Swinton's acting talents, again imo.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Saw this flick a few weeks ago. Strange ambience to the film considering it's subject.

Why though did he keep his Mum alive and kill his Dad when it was clearly his Mum who he hated so much.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Swinton gave a great performance but the whole premise was ridiculous. This child was the devils spawn but unlike the Omen films there was no reason or explanation as to why this child was like he was and even less realistic was the father who somehow after 17 years of living with this kid thought he was perfect. From crying constantly as a child, shitting its nappy on purpose, playing violent video games with dad whilst sreaming DIE DIE DIE in a demonic way, which his dad thought was perfectly normal to possibly blinding his sisters eye, we don't know as that wasn't explained adequately either, to apparently causing a slaughter merely with a bow and arrow all without logic or reason or explanation and the only merit in the film was to highlight Swinton's acting talents, again imo.

Thats the point of the story; that these parents dont know why their son has grown up like this and then done this thing. You are left to ponder the reasons why.

The Omen wasnt a true story by the way.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thats the point of the story; that these parents dont know why their son has grown up like this and then done this thing. You are left to ponder the reasons why.

The Omen wasnt a true story by the way.

The Dad thought he was fine, totally unbelievable , basically then he was possessed by the devil as that is the only conclusion the film allows you to have. So basically The Omen but not as good.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So that she would have to live with what he had done.

Correct. The director said when they met in prison and she asked him, why did you not kill me ? his reply was " I did not want to kill my audience " but she left it out.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
The Dad thought he was fine, totally unbelievable , basically then he was possessed by the devil as that is the only conclusion the film allows you to have. So basically The Omen but not as good.

No its not its based on if Children are born evil or if they become evil.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No its not its based on if Children are born evil or if they become evil.

I am not sure what it is based on mate and that's my point, there is no message or meaning to the film whatsoever, Kermode raved and wanked over it but he has " form " for salivating over pretentious twaddle. As I said Elephant on a similar theme was a much more structured and thought provoking film and Kevin really when you cut through the hype is just a cut above Problem Child.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House

No. The Omen is a supernatural, horror film not based on anything real.

This is a study on why children are like they are and do the things they do.

No one was posssessed by the devil, no one needed to be killed by a silver bullet and no one was granted eternal life by sucking opal fruits every other wednesday for 5 years.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No. The Omen is a supernatural, horror film not based on anything real.

This is a study on why children are like they are and do the things they do.

No one was posssessed by the devil, no one needed to be killed by a silver bullet and no one was granted eternal life by sucking opal fruits every other wednesday for 5 years.

So basically the film offered no explanation, no logic, no structure, no history, nothing and it gave no explanation on why he was like he was and why he did what he did. Wanky overblow twaddle.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
So basically the film offered no explanation, no logic, no structure, no history, nothing and it gave no explanation on why he was like he was and why he did what he did. Wanky overblow twaddle.

U need to watch it again

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No thanks. My point being there was no reason why he hated his Mother. He was not abused, cared for and looking after. So the whole " I hate Mum " thing was just stupid. I guess the book was good but the film was very poorly executed imo. Crying all day as a kid, why ?, shitting pants, why ?, screaming and refusing to do things, why ? possibly blinding sisters eye, why ?, No sorry for a film that I was looking forward to it rated as a huge dissapointment and only Swinton redeemed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here