Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We missed out on Polish international Marcin Zewlakow and R. Martin goes to Everton

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
Besides which according to there forum they've taken loads of players on trial and signed none of em.

Which club? Everton or Derby?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gritt23 said:
Is it just me, or does it seem a bit late in the day for scouting missions to return with the news, "Nah he's crap boss." It's halfway through the transfer windows for crying out loud.

Maybe I'm being naive but I would have thought players should have been getting scouted in November / early December, so that we at least went into January 1st with a clear list of players we have watched who we want at this club. Ideally we would have even sounded out clubs and players a bit in December so that we knew which targets were within our range.

Am I being harsh or have we failed to plan ahead well enough for the transfer window? We must have had a pretty good idea for the last two months that we would be looking for a man to lead the line from January.

This is exactly the point I have been making season after season... we are always too slow / reactive in the transfer market... the deal should have basically been done before the window opened... other clubs have done this, including Sheff Wed... why not us?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
B.W. said:
Which club? Everton or Derby?...

Sorry... should have read whole thread!...

B.W. said:
This is exactly the point I have been making season after season... we are always too slow / reactive in the transfer market... the deal should have basically been done before the window opened... other clubs have done this, including Sheff Wed... why not us?...

:thud: Why is it with you that it's always because the management team are not working hard enough? Most people can see that it's a Catch 22 problem, the targets we identify as good enough usually have other better teams to try first like this Pole, and the players who do want to come here often aren't better than the ones we got (which is what we decided with the guy Dean White has been watching).

We get very narrow options and it can be like finding a needle in a haystack. And yet you think it's a simple job that all should have been wrapped up by December?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Thats why you have scouts Irish to go scouting before the window opens up.They have had a few months preparation.After all it's what they get paid to do

Last edited:

algie said:
Thats why you have scouts Irish to go scouting before the window opens up.They have had a few months preparation.After all it's what they get paid to do

Yep, and are you suggesting they haven't been doing that the last few months?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
B.W. said:
Sorry... should have read whole thread!...

As it happens Derby as well. They released 3 of 4 trialist last week. So who knows, the Polish guy could end up here.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
London Irish said:
Yep, and are you suggesting they haven't been doing that the last few months?

Then how has it taken until the middle of the transfer window for Dean White to decide that the guy we are looking at isn't actually very good?

I'm not saying it is easy, but the fact that we are back to square one in the search for a striker, does suggest we should have taken this search a bit more seriously a bit earlier. Perhaps if we had, the Pole (for example) could have been snapped up before Derby took a look.

We don't have much in our favour due to the perilous financial state and the shoddy facilities, so we MUST have organisation and planning in our favour. Get to someone first, slap an offer in, and see if they are brave enough to wait around for another club, that may never materialise.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Gritt23 said:
Then how has it taken until the middle of the transfer window for Dean White to decide that the guy we are looking at isn't actually very good?

I'm not saying it is easy, but the fact that we are back to square one in the search for a striker, does suggest we should have taken this search a bit more seriously a bit earlier. Perhaps if we had, the Pole (for example) could have been snapped up before Derby took a look.

We don't have much in our favour due to the perilous financial state and the shoddy facilities, so we MUST have organisation and planning in our favour. Get to someone first, slap an offer in, and see if they are brave enough to wait around for another club, that may never materialise.

Agree.You have to be quick and cunning.Thats the only tool we have otherwise we will lose out to other clubs.Wednesday moved straight in for the kill as soon as the window opened.This player from the Isles should of been watched ages ago.Not now.

Gritt23 said:

Because all judgements about players we can afford are very fine value judgements. Who knows what the exact circumstances are with this particular player, he may have been injured or simply not being selected for games elsewhere previously. Who knows. But what I find ridiculous is the notion, dumbly repeated on here so often, that all it would take is a "bit more effort" or a "bit more speed" by our manager/scouts and we would suddenly get the player we want. Bollocks. It's a tough assignment with the odds all stacked against us.

Last edited:

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
London Irish said:
But what I find ridiculous is the notion, dumbly repeated on here so often, that all it would take is a "bit more effort" or a "bit more speed" by our manager/scouts and we would suddenly get the player we want. Bollocks. It's a tough assignment with the odds all stacked against us.

Never ever though I'd say this but LI is spot on, its not like the scouts have sat around and not realised the window is open, there is more than meets theeye I'd wager.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Redhead said:
Never ever though I'd say this but LI is spot on, its not like the scouts have sat around and not realised the window is open, there is more than meets theeye I'd wager.

Its not the scouts that are the problem, they have probably got a list of 20 strikers they think could do a job but were always going to have trouble attracting top players to withdean!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Gritt23 said:

You haven't added agents into the equation. The suggestion seemed to be that the Pole's agent engineered the move to Derby through his connections. We're losing out on Henderson for precisely the same reason having identified him ages ago and sorted out a deal with his club. The whole transfer window saga is like an auction, those with money have a much larger clout than those without. I've always believed we'll get nothing until the last week of the window when the big clubs have got more players in and those who've been sidelined get more desperate to pick up a permanent deal at a club rather than spend the rest of the season in the stiffs or on short term loans.

I'd also imagine that we scout many players but identify very few that are within our price range, consequently, when we try to move other richer clubs can make better offers. We'll suffer from this until the stadium is sorted. Lastly, my interpretation of the Dean White scouting trip was that we've obviously watched the player before but have not been sure whether he'd be able to do a job so went on another trip to get a definite answer. We don't know because we don'tt have access to MM over what he does which means a lot of hypothetical nonsense seems to be written on the thread.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Theatre of Trees said:
You haven't added agents into the equation. The suggestion seemed to be that the Pole's agent engineered the move to Derby through his connections. We're losing out on Henderson for precisely the same reason having identified him ages ago and sorted out a deal with his club. The whole transfer window saga is like an auction, those with money have a much larger clout than those without. I've always believed we'll get nothing until the last week of the window when the big clubs have got more players in and those who've been sidelined get more desperate to pick up a permanent deal at a club rather than spend the rest of the season in the stiffs or on short term loans.

I'd also imagine that we scout many players but identify very few that are within our price range, consequently, when we try to move other richer clubs can make better offers. We'll suffer from this until the stadium is sorted. Lastly, my interpretation of the Dean White scouting trip was that we've obviously watched the player before but have not been sure whether he'd be able to do a job so went on another trip to get a definite answer. We don't know because we don'tt have access to MM over what he does which means a lot of hypothetical nonsense seems to be written on the thread.

Completely agree. Would loaning a striker (with a view to a peranent deal) be worth considering. Then we might attract some better players, because if we do get relegated they can go back to their clubs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
algie said:

Dean White was abroad scouting in November I think, way before Christmas.

I was suprised when his trip was mentioned by Dick Knight recently, because either he was referring to something that happened a few months ago or he's been back out to the country in question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here