Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We have NEVER won...on the 27th Jan.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Is this a bad omen or will it inspire the lads to do what no other Albion team have ever done and WIN on the 27th January?

Of the 11 fixtures on this day, from 1923 to 2007, we have drawn 5 and lost 6. I remember the 5-1 thrashing at Fulham in 1973, as we wenre relegated back to the old 3rd div after just the 1 season.

In 1974 we also played on Jan 27th, playing on the same date as it was a Sunday fixture. Back in the 'good old days' we had strikes, power cuts, 3 day weeks and these were troubled times.

Floodlights were banned, due to the power shortages, and football was allowed to be played on Sundays as an experiment to draw in crowds. And it certainly worked with bumper crowds.

Admission could not be charged, under Sunday trading laws, so you had to buy a day's membership of a 'Club' (Albion had the Dolphin club) and that was the same as a match ticket.

Following a relegation hangover, Albion had hit the headlines in appointing Brian Clough as manager and were rarely out of the headlines. Many players came and went but Albion were 18th and Cambridge in the bottom 4 for our 1st ever league visit to the Abbey.

Albion fans turned out in force. I don't think there were any trains either but i remember getting a supporters coach from st Peters church and we had a few stowaways.

To be honest, i don't remember much of the game. the crowd was 7,700 and there was no segregation or gates between stands so it was 90 mins of terrace mayhem as mobs roamed and fought throughout the game. We drew 1-1 and Mick Brown (who?) scored our goal.

After the game, running battles, flying bricks and bottles, continued on the streets. Wouldn't advocate going back to those days but future visits to Cambridge have always seemed somewhat dull.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Oh i don't know. you may be one of the few who could say "I was there...." Any luck with your lift back?

Floodlights were banned, due to the power shortages, and football was allowed to be played on Sundays as an experiment to draw in crowds. And it certainly worked with bumper crowds.

Admission could not be charged, under Sunday trading laws, so you had to buy a day's membership of a 'Club' (Albion had the Dolphin club) and that was the same as a match ticket.

I thought that Sunday football was introduced as an alternative to early Saturday kick-offs, prompted as you mention by the floodlight ban (my first Sunday match was Trowbridge Town v Poole Town in the Southern League).
Also, most other clubs used to admit fans on the purchase of a (rather expensive) programme.

And yeah, Tay's sorted now, he's sleeping on St Margaret's Bus Station until 04.10.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
cant see that changing tomorrow to be honest

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
cant see that changing tomorrow to be honest

its about time it did and this game it WILL

I'm sure I went to that game at Cambridge bloody awful and did not see much of the game either...............don't know they are living some people

57f4dd2d586b30ffbc1412a5d9214075.gif

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
We seem to raise our game/get a bit of luck against the better teams, so I think we might nick something :ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here