Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We have done lager,bitter..........Now whats your favorite Spirt.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
metaxa.jpeg

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
For those that live near Preston Park, get ya arse down to thresher, it is shutting down and they are selling everything off. Got a couple of large bottles of JD for a tenner each.

charlieoatway

through thin and thin
Aug 22, 2009
Bristol
For those that live near Preston Park, get ya arse down to thresher, it is shutting down and they are selling everything off. Got a couple of large bottles of JD for a tenner each.

Is Threshers shutting down all over the UK? the one up the road from me in Southville, Bristol is also shutting down

Surely in a recession drinking at home increases. Threshers need to look at that business model, get out the flip charts boys!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is Threshers shutting down all over the UK? the one up the road from me in Southville, Bristol is also shutting down

Surely in a recession drinking at home increases. Threshers need to look at that business model, get out the flip charts boys!

It does increase to an extent, but the problem is the supermarkets undercutting consistently as part of a loss-leading deal to bring shoppers in and buy other things alongside the alcohol.

The other problem was too much expansion too quickly, picking up the old Unwins stores, leading to a vast array of 1200 stores, too many of which were loss-making, which eventully dragged the company down I think.

Also, the inability to make people see that 3 for 2 was actually a very good offer - saved them time, effort and money when buying wine and champagne...

Great shame...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It does increase to an extent, but the problem is the supermarkets undercutting consistently as part of a loss-leading deal to bring shoppers in and buy other things alongside the alcohol.

the loss leading certainly doesnt help the small offlicences but they do themselves little favours. one near me sells only the mainstream lager brands and a token few fancy ones like hoegaarden (ale really), and for a ridiculous price (over £2). on the other hand Tesco's and Morrisons sell a wide range of german and dutch lagers/ales, nearly as many as the range of bottled ales. these are not loss leaders (like say 24 packs of carlsburg/stella etc for £10), they are a regular product with relativly premium price. seems the offy hasn't identified the interest in wider range of beers... so i dont go there. too much focus on the wine i think.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here