Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We can't blame the ref!

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
we can't blame the ref for the 4th shocking performance on the trot. We lacked any creativity and showed no desire to get forward. Reading were also poor but the better team won and thats saying something.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
We can't blame the ref for missing Forster slam dunking the ball in and not giving us a penalty when Mcphee was mugged in the box?

Are you sure??????

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
gerbil said:
We can't blame the ref for missing Forster slam dunking the ball in and not giving us a penalty when Mcphee was mugged in the box?

Are you sure??????

Has it come to it that the both us and the players will appeal for anything and resort to desperation. What happened to grinding out results like at west ham, leicester, leeds and forest?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
It's not a case of appealing for everything is it.
McPhee was bundled over in the box so therefore it was a penalty.

Forster handled the ball before he scored so it was handball. 2 or 3 of our defenders all appealed for it at the time as well.

Referees this season have been total pony and decisions like these that go against us could be what sends us down.

So yes WE CAN BLAME THE REFEREE.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
gerbil said:
It's not a case of appealing for everything is it.
McPhee was bundled over in the box so therefore it was a penalty.

Forster handled the ball before he scored so it was handball. 2 or 3 of our defenders all appealed for it at the time as well.

Referees this season have been total pony and decisions like these that go against us could be what sends us down.

So yes WE CAN BLAME THE REFEREE.

Even a point would not be good enough out of a game we should have quite honestly won, even rotherham beat reading last week and.

I saw the goal on TV after the match and it would have been a brave decision by the ref to disallow it, his arms were by his side. As for the penalty I havn't seen the replay but to be honest who would've scored it?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I would have been quite happy with a point. Didn't think Mr Friend was that bad compared to previous officials, but he still got the big decisions wrong ... we really are due some diabolical decisions in our favour!

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Kaney said:
Even a point would not be good enough out of a game we should have quite honestly won, even rotherham beat reading last week and.

I saw the goal on TV after the match and it would have been a brave decision by the ref to disallow it, his arms were by his side. As for the penalty I havn't seen the replay but to be honest who would've scored it?

The referee is paid to make "brave" decisions that's what he's bloody well there for. If he can't do that he shouldn't be there. There are far too many refs these days that won't make decisions and are "guided" by how the crowd react to things.

Who would've scored a penalty??? You're joking right? It would've been nice to have had the chance to miss it.

Tom the Croc

Oct 12, 2004
Brighton - where else?
I have to agree with Kaney here. It would have been very harsh to rule out the goal, and I cant see where we should have had a penalty from. There are far too many excuses made about refs when we lose, when perhaps we should simply admit we are not good enough. We have to play at our very best to even stand a chance of gaining results in this league, so when we dont even average teams like Reading will outclass us.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Tom the Croc said:
I have to agree with Kaney here. It would have been very harsh to rule out the goal, and I cant see where we should have had a penalty from. There are far too many excuses made about refs when we lose, when perhaps we should simply admit we are not good enough. We have to play at our very best to even stand a chance of gaining results in this league, so when we dont even average teams like Reading will outclass us.

You don't know where we would have got a penalty from??
Did you see the game??

Nobody's making excuses,we were crap last night end of but when decisions go against you you've got no chance.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
gerbil said:
The referee is paid to make "brave" decisions that's what he's bloody well there for. If he can't do that he shouldn't be there. There are far too many refs these days that won't make decisions and are "guided" by how the crowd react to things.

Who would've scored a penalty??? You're joking right? It would've been nice to have had the chance to miss it.

Referees are not there to make brave decisions, they are there to make the right ones and I can't say I disagreed with either the two points you have made and feel we need to sort our own game out before concentrating on the refs, or we'll find ourselfs at bournemouth next season.

Don't get me wrong we are capable of staying in this division, however in order to do so we are gonna have to get out of this complacent mind frame that we've been in since Millwall and actually play football and work for the results. We are no where near as good as many of the teams in this division on paper and it is teamwork and commitment that have got us this far and will get us any further in the table.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
gerbil said:
You don't know where we would have got a penalty from??
Did you see the game??

Nobody's making excuses,we were crap last night end of but when decisions go against you you've got no chance.

Again bringing the ref into it, we were crap last night fullstop! I'm as disappointed as the next guy and felt like shit after the match, not only at the result but also at the performance and looking ahead to the next fixtures in which we have possiblyy the biggest game of the entire squads career.

Tom the Croc

Oct 12, 2004
Brighton - where else?
And I still fail to see where we deserved a penalty?? I most certainly was at the game and I saw no incident in that match last night in which we were worthy of a penalty. Another case of blaming the officials I think?!

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Kaney said:
Again bringing the ref into it, we were crap last night fullstop! I'm as disappointed as the next guy and felt like shit after the match, not only at the result but also at the performance and looking ahead to the next fixtures in which we have possiblyy the biggest game of the entire squads career.

Bringing the ref into it?
The thread's about not blaming him!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say that we weren't crap.We were f***ing awful last night.
What I'm saying is we probably would've had a point if it wasn't for incompetant officials.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Tom the Croc said:
And I still fail to see where we deserved a penalty?? I most certainly was at the game and I saw no incident in that match last night in which we were worthy of a penalty. Another case of blaming the officials I think?!

How about starting with Mcphee getting shoved in the back by the defender???

Maybe me,nearly everyone in the south stand and the commentators are all wrong then???????

Tom the Croc

Oct 12, 2004
Brighton - where else?
Pushing will happen in every penalty area in the country every single week. I refuse to accept that because of one shove we were cheated out of a point. We lost because we were slower and second best throughout, and if we are going to stay up this will have to change.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
gerbil said:
Bringing the ref into it?
The thread's about not blaming him!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say that we weren't crap.We were f***ing awful last night.
What I'm saying is we probably would've had a point if it wasn't for incompetant officials.

There you go again blaming the ref yet contradicting yourself in saying we were "f***ing Awful", The post is about the ref, full marks for observation there but it is about NOT blaming the ref and I feel we have to take responsibilty for defeat and not forget "ifs" and "buts" because whats done is done

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Kaney said:
There you go again blaming the ref yet contradicting yourself in saying we were "f***ing Awful", The post is about the ref, full marks for observation there but it is about NOT blaming the ref and I feel we have to take responsibilty for defeat and not forget "ifs" and "buts" because whats done is done

FFS I'll say it slowly for you.

We were crap but the ref bottled giving us a penalty therefore denying us the chance of a point.
How the f*** is that contradicting myself???

I never once said that we played well.

If we have to accept what's done is done why start a thread saying we can't blame the ref ???

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
Because many of us are blaming the ref coz its the easy way out. You can't rely on soft penalties to get you even a point at this level. We didnt look like scoring so we didnt deserve anything even with a penalty.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Theres no point in blaming the ref (as even mcghee has said many a time), decisions for and against you- whether fair on not- even themselves out over the season and yes it always seems that when you're stuck in a rut decisions do tend to go against you but what can you do at the end of the day. we've just gotta keep plugging and hopefully a few decisions will go our way in the next few games that'll keep us up.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
we were shit
Reading were shit though not quite as shit as us
The ref was shit
The weather was shit

blame everybody

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here