Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

we cant afford his wages.....

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Why do people post this when a possible target is brought up on NSC. Does the poster have some sort of inside info as to what the said players wages will be or some knowledge as to what our budget is ?

If somebody started a thread this time last year titled "Vicente could do a job " you can bet loads would of laughed and quoted wages. Same could be said about CMS choosing us over big spending west ham and Leicester.

I would suggest that only play the wages card on a thread only if you have some facts to back it up.

Rant over !

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Agreed, I would think it all depends on the player in question. Would like to think we don't pay over the odds. But I would be confident we can compete for the right players.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think its more to do with the calibre of player, for example someone mentioned going for jay Bothroyd, he must be on high wages and the like, but is proven at this level, so people wouldn't mind splashing wages on him, another poster said said dean marney, also high ish wages, but hasn't set work alight, so I think people who demand higher wages then what we normally fork out needs to be backed up with a proven record

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Another thing is the wage cap thing, there isn't one, not a specific monetary ceiling. The club will decide what a player is worth paying, not the player. If the player doesn't like it, he doesn't get signed, look at GM last year. He wanted more than the club would offer, not more than the club can pay.

I think a few Premier League clubs, and in fact clubs throught the leagues could take advice from that policy, don't be held ransom to players, tell them to sling their hook if you don't want to pay what their agents are trying to get. Pompey fell foul of that, and without promotion I would be curious how West Ham would have kept hold of half their players next season.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I think its more to do with the calibre of player, for example someone mentioned going for jay Bothroyd, he must be on high wages and the like, but is proven at this level, so people wouldn't mind splashing wages on him, another poster said said dean marney, also high ish wages, but hasn't set work alight, so I think people who demand higher wages then what we normally fork out needs to be backed up with a proven record

How do we know what their wages were/are and how do we know what we would pay ? Also sometimes its not all about wages as proved with a few of our squad last season !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It wouldn't be needed if people didn't start a thread about every single player who just happens to possibly be leaving their current club. Could do a job is up there with Can't afford his wages.

I believe some people actually think Gus reads those threads and only looks at a player once his name has been posted on nsc.

Soon be August and everybody will be moaning about Barnes again.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
FFP will mean that the club can only spend a certain % of revenue on wages or face being "taxed" for overspending and running the club at a loss. Players wages will have to fall into line to meet the budget.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Whilst NSC is superb entertainment (for me at least) the thought that Gus even casts his eye over it seriously raises considerable questions as to his judgement. At one time I was concerned what individual players thought about comments but now virtually everybody has come in for criticism here I reckon they may look at it more lightheartedly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Perhaps it should be rephrased from "we can't afford his wages" to "we are unlikely to pay his presumably high wages" - would that annoy you less?

yes, yes it would. at least this would acknowledge that we dont acutally know either a players current or expected wages, or what the club is able or willing to offer.

Window Licker

May 17, 2012
We should get a private detective to snoop around and get inside info about the budget to put this argument to bed?

Ah, shit... We can't afford his wages.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
As Gus likes to point out, we don't have one of the bigger budgets in the division. However, I suspect we pay more in wages than people think.
Paying players like harley 8k a week doesn't help,our budget will increase this season obviously and getting rid of the average players will help as we had a large squad last season and a lot of loans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here