Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We Are Sailing?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
But what else is there? We don't actually HAVE many songs !

That's not exactly a reason for keeping in a song that makes everyone go quiet.

I was happy enough with the choice of songs before the recent tweaking, though the Depeche Mode track works OK.

Songs come and go. We used to sing No Limits for Kurt Nogan and Our House when we had Ian Culverhouse. I'm not bothered that we don't have an equivalent of Glad All Over.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We Are Brighton is a magnificent song and another one that should not be butchered.

There is no reason to rush the song.

I don't understand this rush to finish songs. Most anthems dwell on notes and choruses.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We Are Brighton is a magnificent song and another one that should not be butchered.

There is no reason to rush the song.

I don't understand this rush to finish songs. Most anthems dwell on notes and choruses.

The song sounds good when it's sung loud and proud. But we've always sung it faster than the recorded "We Are Sailing".

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Why don't we stop moaning and instead get the North Stand/WSU lads to start singing it when 'We Are Sailing' comes on, thus making it catch on around the stadium, and truly sound brilliant?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My only reservation is that it comes out the pa a bit too loud, well it does were I am standing. If that track is turn down just a bit it will be easier to sing to as you won't feel you are competing with the pa.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
My only reservation is that it comes out the pa a bit too loud, well it does were I am standing. If that track is turn down just a bit it will be easier to sing to as you won't feel you are competing with the pa.

I have found the PA system to low now which is a shame. The build up to kick off just isn't the same like the first couple of matches at home.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It's brilliant when we all sing it, but it's far too slow on the fanzone music. Needs to be speeded up a bit.
Not 100 miles per hour speed, but faster than it's played at the moment.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
You obviously were not at Wembley in 83? .

I was going to say this- I was ten at the time and I remember the all the Albion singing this at Wembley in 83 - still sends shivers down my spine when I hear the crowd sing it!

Clearly those who think it has no relevance news to realise that this song is MORE relevant to many BHA fans than many of the songs sung nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The problem with We are Sailing as I see it is ... there tends to be a feeling that the fanzone is something for the newer and younger generations at the ground and a lot of the older generation seem to think it is naff. we are sailing is generally associated with the older generation of fans and therefore these "newer" fans do not associate with it. In order to get this accepted and really rocking everyone needs to join in during the fan zone sing along instead of criticising.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can the fanzone people increase the tempo on the Saling song a bit, might help for people to join in. I do agree it's too slow, especially compared to the way Albion fans seem to sing, so if it was eddited a bit, then it might be better. Then again, I'm sure they're aware of this and as has happened a couple of times already, it will probably change to something else in due course. Perhaps more energy should be used in helping them select an alternative?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That would be great if the majority sang along to it!
Well you've changed your tune! (If you'll excuse the pun). Originally you were asking what relevance it had to our club, hopefully that's been pointed out to you now. Complaining that not enough people sing it when 'ordered' to is another matter entirely.

You also said that GOSBTS was 'bad enough'. Actually that has even more relevance to our club than even 'Sailing', what with it being the national anthem of the Seagull Nation and also a song often sung by the fans - although as a new fan you could be forgiven for not knowing that as it's sung so fast.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's just far too slow for people to join in and doesn't have the same uplifting effect as Hey Jude. Comes at a crucial time, right at the end of that medley when you want the stadium singing so it's killing the atmosphere at the moment. Even something like a quick burst of 'Right Here, Right Now' would be better I think... you don't HAVE to be able to sing along to it, as long as it gets you in the mood to belt something out during that gap before the teams come out.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's just far too slow for people to join in and doesn't have the same uplifting effect as Hey Jude. Comes at a crucial time, right at the end of that medley when you want the stadium singing so it's killing the atmosphere at the moment. Even something like a quick burst of 'Right Here, Right Now' would be better I think... you don't HAVE to be able to sing along to it, as long as it gets you in the mood to belt something out during that gap before the teams come out.

Agreed.

For what it's worth, I completely agree with We Are Brighton being one of our strongest songs, but our song is much different from the We Are Sailing song we hear on the fanzone medley. And I'm afraid you can't simply speed it up to make it sound right.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Its much better than that pathetic song that causes so much debate in other threads(and the words made sense). We need to get this type of more inclusive song a chance and really raise the volume in the AMEX. The best sound is when the whole stadium sings as one and you can hear a deep, solid roar to the noise. Thats the type of noise that can be intimidating to away supporters and says 'sit down shut up' without using those words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here