Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are officially title contenders

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fixtures been kind to us thus far? Oh no, can't be that shirley! Nor the timely multiple interventions of woodwork. Heaven forbid! Must be down to luck not yet even STARTING to even itself out over the course of a season. If that's the case then 2nd half of the season promises to be BRUTAL. Potter knows damn well he's riding his luck to the utmost. Or as he would blandly put it 'thin margins' :lolol:

Will consider 15th place finish to be progression on the assumption we won't sign an EPL-fit-for-purpose striker in January either :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fixtures been kind to us thus far? Oh no, can't be that shirley! Nor the timely multiple interventions of woodwork. Heaven forbid! Must be down to luck not yet even STARTING to even itself out over the course of a season. If that's the case then 2nd half of the season promises to be BRUTAL. Potter knows damn well he's riding his luck to the utmost. Or as he would blandly put it 'thin margins' :lolol:

Will consider 15th place finish to be progression on the assumption we won't sign an EPL-fit-for-purpose striker in January either :thumbsup:

You are of course correct ....
..... and you're also a HUGE party pooper! :p

#votebrighton

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Voted.

Obviously not happening - not now and highly likely never - and while the season started well, top 10 would still be a huge achievement.

Instead I'm going with a shock prediction that Manchester City will win the title.

You are of course correct ....
..... and you're also a HUGE party pooper! :p

#votebrighton

No idea what he wrote, but no he is not.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I guess they are thinking that there's an outside chance of us 'doing a Leicester'.

We are nowhere near as good as they were and the other top clubs are much stronger than when Leicester won the PL. The chances are practically zero imo. But I still voted for us.

If the big four are close, and take points from each other, it makes it a little more possible.
If we get the same results as last season with Man City at home and Liverpool away in the next few games, it will look increasingly possible.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If the big four are close, and take points from each other, it makes it a little more possible.
If we get the same results as last season with Man City at home and Liverpool away in the next few games, it will look increasingly possible.

Well it won't. But it does mean we can properly lord it over Palace and spend (even more) hours a day looking in disbelief at a league table

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well it won't. But it does mean we can properly lord it over Palace and spend (even more) hours a day looking in disbelief at a league table

I don't quite understand?
We would have 6 more points, both of them would have dropped 3 possible points, and unless we lose against Norwich in the mean time, we would be above both in the table, but you don't think that would increase the possibility of us finishing above both of them come the end of the season?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Its a good giggle putting ourselves in with the title contenders. On a more realistic bent, to test the theory that you should never look at the table until after 10 games, I've taken a look at what happened to teams in our position after 7 games over the previous 5 seasons:

Teams in 6th after 7 games have finished 13th, 6th, 11th, 7th & 6th over the last five seasons. Wolves' tumble after Raul's injury last year was the biggest fall;
The worst finish of a team in the top 6 after 7 games was West Ham's drop from 5th to 16th in 2019/20. Southampton dropped from 5th to 15th last season. West Ham also came the closest to relegation in terms of points difference, surviving by 5 points. Southampton actually ended 15 points above Fulham, the same points gap that they had over 18th placed Fulham when they sat third in December.
The worst finish of a team with 14 points after 7 games was 7th by Spurs last year with 62 points, equalled by Everton in 2016/17 with 61;
The highest after 7 games position of a team who were subsequently relegated was 8th by Bournemouth in 2019/20. They had 11 points at this stage which is also the highest points tally achieved by a subsequently relegated team. West Brom were 10th with 9 points in 2017/18 before sacking Tony Pulis and appointing Alan Pardew and Stoke City were 13th with 8 points in the same year. All other (12 out of 15) subsequently relegated teams over the five seasons were sat in the bottom 6 after 7 games.

Sing up everyone:

"I know you're gonna believe us.....With a brief look at a very small data sample, we seem to have a statistically higher chance of finishing in the top ten than of being relegated this season!"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Fine margins.

We have definitely had a kind fixture list and a healthy chunk of luck.
But the games we have won, were the games we weren't winning last season.

However from the next 3, we took 6 points form the corresponding fixtures last season.
If we better that haul, this season, then I would say we are definitely in the mix.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Its a good giggle putting ourselves in with the title contenders. On a more realistic bent, to test the theory that you should never look at the table until after 10 games, I've taken a look at what happened to teams in our position after 7 games over the previous 5 seasons:

Teams in 6th after 7 games have finished 13th, 6th, 11th, 7th & 6th over the last five seasons. Wolves' tumble after Raul's injury last year was the biggest fall;
The worst finish of a team in the top 6 after 7 games was West Ham's drop from 5th to 16th in 2019/20. Southampton dropped from 5th to 15th last season. West Ham also came the closest to relegation in terms of points difference, surviving by 5 points. Southampton actually ended 15 points above Fulham, the same points gap that they had over 18th placed Fulham when they sat third in December.
The worst finish of a team with 14 points after 7 games was 7th by Spurs last year with 62 points, equalled by Everton in 2016/17 with 61;
The highest after 7 games position of a team who were subsequently relegated was 8th by Bournemouth in 2019/20. They had 11 points at this stage which is also the highest points tally achieved by a subsequently relegated team. West Brom were 10th with 9 points in 2017/18 before sacking Tony Pulis and appointing Alan Pardew and Stoke City were 13th with 8 points in the same year. All other (12 out of 15) subsequently relegated teams over the five seasons were sat in the bottom 6 after 7 games.

I like this stat, and hope it remains true.

A bit disappointing that no 6th placed side at this stage has improved their position at the seasons end, we will have to work on that one.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We’re now 23%, with Liverpool on 24% and Chelsea 27%.

Anyone not voted yet?

Can we overtake the Scousers today, to give us something to lighten the mood on an otherwise grim day for BHAFC?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Quite amusing for us to be featured, and fair play to the Premier League for not taking the more obvious route of forgetting us and just putting Arsenal/Spurs on there. Of course we won't win it, but i'll enjoy the ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here