Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waving imaginary cards

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't like the imaginary card waving but agree that there's a lot worse that goes on in terms of gamesmanship that it's far more important to cut out. If it's a massive star doing it, then a ref might be influenced. At our level, I can only imagine it having a negative attitude to the player that's trying to tell him what to do.

Perhaps I'm secretly annoyed that Spanish Dave hasn't worked hard enough on his English to be able to ask the ref to send an opponent off without resorting to mime.

Dec 29, 2011
How is waving an imaginary card so bad?

It's just the same as telling the ref "you've got to book him for that" and not as bad as feigning injury or diving.

I agree with this. I bet the players who are fluent English give the ref an earful about booking players, we just can't hear it. Dave struggles with English so it's easier to gesture.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unsporting, unnecessary, ungentlemanly ... hated seeing Spanish Dave do it tonight. I'd like us to be better than that.

Perhaps Pawson should have waved some real ones a bit earlier. He was certainly happy to do so against Burnley. Lua Lua's leg must look like a badly butchered Sunday joint.

By the time he started to get a grip my hand gestures were slightly ruder than imaginary card waving....

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Perhaps I'm secretly annoyed that Spanish Dave hasn't worked hard enough on his English to be able to ask the ref to send an opponent off without resorting to mime.

At least he's given up on rolling around holding his leg while looking for the ref to get the book out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here