Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

water+laptop=:(

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Well SOMEHOW(and this is the really bizarre thing, I have no idea how) water appeared to get on my laptop at some point during the course of last night/this morning.

The weirder thing was the only cup with any water in was only a minimal amount.

The thing isn't turning on yet but I have left it to try, I just wondered if NSCers(having experience of such things) reckon it has much of a survival chance?

It is under warranty though, so it's not a problem, it's just I'd rather not have to deal with all that hassle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
water damage isnt always covered by warranty though unless you got some kind of extra "accidental spillage" warranty

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Let it dry out normally for a day or two then try it again . It may be OK !!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
take out the HD and all the replacable bits.

Once you are happy it is dry ( about 36 hours) then put the HD back in and switch it on...you may be lucky

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
You may be covered under your house insurance?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Springal said:
water damage isnt always covered by warranty though unless you got some kind of extra "accidental spillage" warranty

Yeah well I won't tell them it's water damage!

There was so little spilt on it anyway.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
they'll know it is, i used to work for a company that repaired laptops and mobile phones and its highly obvious

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I was afraid you'd say that.

god knows how much it will cost to repair then.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Springal said:
they'll know it is, i used to work for a company that repaired laptops and mobile phones and its highly obvious

Is it the fact that it is generally WET that gives the game away? ???

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm just hoping that the fact it was such a small volume of water(initially we had no idea where it came from because it appeared there was nothing that could have been spilt on it) might aid its recovery.

then again, my friend managed to get a new mp3 player on the insurance he had on it when he fell in Brighton Marina, so anything is possible.:lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
A friend of mine somehow left his out in the rain one evening. Kept it in the airing cupboard for a couple of days and it still worked fine!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I am hoping for luck like that!

Thing is, I didn't even spill anything on it. The closest explanation I have is that a small glass(whiskey type) got knocked over when someone knocked against my desk.

There was so little water in it I have my fingers crossed.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
bigc said:
The closest explanation I have is that a small glass (whiskey type) got knocked overQUOTE]

Must have been a tumbler...?

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Happened with mine, but currys said that it was accidental damage and they would not fix anything wrong with it!

The charger had also broken, they claim its to do with water :ohmy:

Sent to a shop in hove to see what they can do

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I had an MP3 player once that I dropped in a Virgin Trains toilet after approx forty-eight hours of ownership.

I just took it back to Dixon's and said: "Here's the receipt. It's stopped working."

They took it to the back of the shop and came back and said, "you're right, it has stopped working" and gave me a new one. Marvellous!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I had an MP3 player once that I dropped in a Virgin Trains toilet after approx forty-eight hours of ownership.

I just took it back to Dixon's and said: "Here's the receipt. It's stopped working."

They took it to the back of the shop and came back and said, "you're right, it has stopped working" and gave me a new one. Marvellous!

Marvellous indeed apart from you've had your hand down a public toilet :)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
do what dave said, get the thing apart, if theres water in there the longer its there the more likely it will become beyond repair.

Leave all the bits to dry, hair drier on cold worth a go as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here