Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching the Euro's in the Pub

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
fatbadger, do you were an England shirt or anything? Are they 100% against us or do some of them have lives of their own as opposed to just being anti-English?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
zefarelly said:
The Duke in Shoreham has a superb big screen up, sit at the bar, next to the stella tap, comfy stool, perfect . . . .until I woke up for work this morning !
heard the pubs been brought by the chap who owns the shore,which is being sold

Brovian said:
fatbadger, do you were an England shirt or anything? Are they 100% against us or do some of them have lives of their own as opposed to just being anti-English?

Actually, quite a lot of the Scots support England in the tournaments (a recent survey said that 55% of Scots wished England well in Euro2004). Not a lot of Scottish football fans, it has to be said, but there you go. Certainly, wearing an England shirt in the pub for the game isn't too wise. You probably won't have a problem - but if you do get some attention, you won't get any sympathy for your plight. Having said that, I've never experienced real trouble - just a few shouts of abuse, which are easily ignored.

The point is more that the pubs are full of Scots wearing the shirts of whoever we are playing against. Croatia shirts, apparently, sold out over the weekend. At the last WC it was pointed out that, as Argentina's replica shirts were made by a Scottish company, you could be doubly patriotic by buying a shirt and thus supporting the Scottish economy as well as the team England was playing. Please note that all of this came, not from the Scottish media, but the Sun (nominally up here the 'Scottish Sun'). They did it again this year - running a front-page story on how Scots were going mad for the 'Euro2004 underdogs' Croatia. So, for all you patriotic English who buy the Sun and put their StG's flags up, remember that it is the Sun which does most to promote anti-English hostility in Scotland.

A little story:

Just before the 98 WC, I was traveling in a taxi and the driver and I got to talking about the football. I asked him what he thought Scotland's chances were and he said he didn't care - he and all of his (Rangers-supporting) friends were following England, because Celtic players had been picked for Scotland. So, you see, Old Firm bigotry can even outdo national bigotry.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Well when i go to the pub to warch the footer i don't stand there like a retard listening to people i enjoy myself drrrrr some people A.:nono:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
watching at the pub is the next best thing to going to a game (my experience from the font and firkin)
unlike withdean:
- you can drink
- you can sit where you want (no ticket allocation) meaning you can sit with your mates
- people dont leave early to get on a bus
- songs and dances

like withdean
- there is always someone whinging about a player you think is playing well
- a stupid bouncer tells you, you cant do this, you cant do that
- you get soaked
- you start singing songs, some (minority) people give you dodgy looks and tell you to shut up

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
fatbadger said:

The point is more that the pubs are full of Scots wearing the shirts of whoever we are playing against. Croatia shirts, apparently, sold out over the weekend. At the last WC it was pointed out that, as Argentina's replica shirts were made by a Scottish company, you could be doubly patriotic by buying a shirt and thus supporting the Scottish economy as well as the team England was playing.

So they'll all be buying Portugese shirts now?

It must expensive being anti English :dunce:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
the full harris said:
they should ban women from pubs during the games. :)

Possibly a bit harsh, but when France scored their penalty and I wanted to stand in stunned silence, I didn't need some dumb cow going on at the top of her voice about how it was Beckham's fault because he was probably out shopping with Posh Spice all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here