Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wasted Talent.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I agree that time for Forest against us before his transfer to Germany he looked like a very special player - big, strong and fast
Agreed, he gave us all sorts of problems that night with his direct, powerful running (Bale-esque, even). Fairly sure that was a lot longer than 2 years ago, mind! More like 2016.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Jack Wilshire. When he burst onto the scene he looked a tremendous talent. Was it injuries that stopped him from being seriously good?

When I went on a tour of the Albion training complex, they said that they were specifically concerned about young players having to much too soon, and to combat it they have tried to show the youngesters what they can have if they get to the first team, but keep them seperate so that they have to work towards it, keeping them hungry.

Seeing this reminds me of something we were told on a small media tour of the training ground when it was still a building site. We were shown the blueprints and it was explained that one of the reasons for the building being set up in the Y shape was that it would allow them to separate the younger age groups from the first team in a way that would allow them to see the progression they are making. The idea was that the dressing room for the youngest age group would be at the furthest end of one section of the building away from the centre, and the incentive was that the further they progressed through the age groups and into the next dressing room along the corridor, the closer to the centre of the building and the first team section of the complex they would get.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Same here at ADO Den Haag. Made 1 start, made a few appearances off the bench and then left a couple of months ago. He was also in a documentary arguing with the now-departed manager who wasn't very popular.

But if anyone is interested, Rio Ferdinand did a great interview with him the other day. It's a heavy watch. He was stealing boots just to put food on his family's table.

Morrison, meanwhile, claimed that Zaha gave off a bad energy in the team.

“You know what? Wilf likes the attention,” Morrison said on the show. “I go there to play football, I enjoy myself. I go on the pitch and I don’t try and drop ten step overs, it’s just natural, do you know what I mean?

“I didn’t understand in his interview where he said ‘Everyone else can do that.’ If everyone else can do it, go and do it.

Surprise, surprise.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I always wondered why Bryan Wade wasn't given more of a chance after scoring 4 goals against Newcastle in what 20 odd minutes. We hardly saw him again.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
I agree about Robson and even more controversially, I don't think Rooney made the most of his talent either and I think that was mainly down to lifestyle and drinking. I know, I know, this is ridiculous as he's United's and England's record scorer but he could have done even more. I have never seen a kid as frighteningly talented as he was between 16 and 18, I think he should have been the best ever, better than Messi, Ronaldo and Maradonna but he peaked at 18.

Don’t think it was entirely Rooney’s fault.

Ferguson used to play him all over the park because he was so good, so he never really had a chance to concentrate and build on one position.

He also picked up several injuries at critical times, usually just before big tournaments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Robin Friday...You cant trump that !

https://www.joe.ie/sport/feature-robin-friday-the-ultimate-football-maverick-511537

Its a great read...few bits copied below.

The hardy showman who truly didn’t give a f**k.
In 1990, Robin Friday died in his apartment from a heart attack, suspected to be caused by a heroin overdose.

He was just 38. In 2004, both Reading and Cardiff City decreed Friday as their all-time cult hero – he only played 21 times for Cardiff. In his two full seasons at Reading he was awarded back-to-back player of the season awards, as well as finishing top scorer each year.

This is the same man who was sent for a short spell at Her Majesty’s pleasure for impersonating a police officer in order to confiscate drugs for his own personal use. And the same centre forward who showed up for one training session, naked, holding a swan he had just borrowed from the local lake.

There were mavericks like George Best and Paul Gascoigne, and then there was Robin Friday. He was the punk rockstar of football.

His life reads like a story that would be deemed as too far-fetched in a particularly creative Hollywood blockbuster. Which is funny, because that is exactly what is in production at the moment.

Henry-Alex Rubin is set to direct the Robin Friday biopic. Russel Brand had been rumoured to play the titular character, but Friday will now be portrayed by Hunger Games actor Sam Claflin.

The movie will be based on the biography The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw which was co-written by ex-Oasis bassist Paul McGuigan and one of the movie’s producers, the renowned music journalist Paolo Hewitt. After reading about the man, understanding the fascination does not take long.

There is a reason that Super Furry Animals dedicated their 1996 single The Man Don't Give a **** to Friday.

Friday’s ability was immense from a young age, even joining the Chelsea youth team. However, the precocious talent had other hobbies as a teenager, namely in the areas of illegal substances, the female of the species and petty crime.

The latter activity actually landed the long-haired renegade a year-long stint in a borstal. Already, Friday’s football career appeared as though it would be ephemeral. Upon his release, the youngster had to start all over on the football field. He, of course, still found other means to piss off the establishment.

At the tender age of 17, Friday married – tying the knot with a black girl. One has to remember that this was 1970’s Britain and mixed-race partnerships were seriously taboo.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/932558.The_Greatest_Footballer_You_Never_Saw

The book you mention is excellent, although I haven't read the last chapter as I lost the book at a Charlatan's gig in Melbourne.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Gai Assulin - was touted as a wonder kid at Barcelona, turned into a journeyman and is now playing in Serie D.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The wife nodded off in the chair last night, (sxhe works hard poor lady), so l had an absolute footie feast on tv. One of the games I watched, were the highlights of the SPL clash between St. Mirren and Livingstone.

The former club's no. 9 was one Jonathan Obika, it seems like he has bagged a fair few goals since he has migrated north of the border, maybe he has finally found his level. Strange how players can do well for some clubs but not others.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
OK I'll bite:

Gareth Barry
Craig Johnston
Owen Hargreaves
Jamie Carragher
Adama Traore
Craig Mackail-Smith
James Milner
Jordan Henderson

Quite a lot of Liverpool in there :whistle:

As for big fish in a small pond, I'm not sure that Zaha is really a big fish, and allegedly, unlike Le Tiss, he wants to leave his club but can't :shrug: :wink:

:laugh:

The answer is David Bentley. There was a man that could play and literally chose not to.

I disagree with your choices because I think you've chosen players that disappoint you rather than having not used their talent. Henderson, for example, is incredible.

EDIT : I can't be sure you weren't joking.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Seeing this reminds me of something we were told on a small media tour of the training ground when it was still a building site. We were shown the blueprints and it was explained that one of the reasons for the building being set up in the Y shape was that it would allow them to separate the younger age groups from the first team in a way that would allow them to see the progression they are making. The idea was that the dressing room for the youngest age group would be at the furthest end of one section of the building away from the centre, and the incentive was that the further they progressed through the age groups and into the next dressing room along the corridor, the closer to the centre of the building and the first team section of the complex they would get.

They did say that on the tour. Incredible to think that they built it with psychology in mind. I believe the youngsters have a separate canteen as well, which looks across at the first team. They idea being that they grow up and develop with that clear goal of where they want to be. As you say, they gradually move along the corridor getting closer to that goal. Its immensely impressive.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The answer is David Bentley. There was a man that could play and literally chose not to.

I disagree with your choices because I think you've chosen players that disappoint you rather than having not used their talent. Henderson, for example, is incredible.

Jordan Henderson until a year or two ago l didn't rate terribly highly, since last season's title win though, and having seen how much Liverpool have missed him bossing their midfield whilst he has had to play as a defender, lcan see how much he means to them.

One of our greatest current players l think, and an absolute shoe in as far as England are concerned.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I think these were players who tried hard and didn't rely on natural talent.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

You need to read the earlier post in that thread. The list of players you have commented on is a list who have made the very most of their, possibly limited, talent through hard work and application.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I’ll trump that with Bryan Wade whose 9 goals in 18 games was pretty impressive on paper. His one redeeming feature is identified on Wikipedia as
During the 1988-89 English football season Wade received a three match ban for violent conduct as a result of elbowing Sheffield United's Chris Wilder in the face.

Re Duffy, I was never too sure about him. Yes, he did have a reputation for his Friday nights out, but he never really looked the part and was naturally far too dumpy to be a winger.

Duffy got very fat rather quickly after his first few matches for us. I'm guessing he got a bit too involved in the local nightlife and not enough on the training ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here