Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Wasp sting pain

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
is this a good time to mention that i'm immune to wasp stings? (i think)
When you say you think, have you ever been stung by a wasp? The last time I was stung by a wasp was 60 years ago so I may imagine I may be immune too, but....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Antihistamines and alcohol is an interesting combination.

If only we had a pharmacologist on the board who could advise on this.

Er, many people take antihistamines every day through the pollen season, no need to stop alcohol.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When you say you think, have you ever been stung by a wasp? The last time I was stung by a wasp was 60 years ago so I may imagine I may be immune too, but....
Well said sir. I haven't been stung for years probably 20 year, back then nothing, now the reaction is a shitload more including the need to a look at me thread :ROFLMAO:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Earlier today a large bumble Bee visited me, we have a large nest of them in our eves near the front door (I live in a bungalow) As he wondered in I could see him struggling. I gave him a sugared water drink. He sat on my hand for a while and then asked to go out. You go from lovely bumble bees. who you should talk to every time you see them to wasp the bastards.
I have a ‘bee hotel’ on a south facing wall. Nearly every tube is occupied by masonry bees,now. It’s only been in place for two years.

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpeg
    IMG_3784.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Last time I got stung the pain was bad, but the itching a few days later was insufferable; something to look forward too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Er, many people take antihistamines every day through the pollen season, no need to stop alcohol.
Cetirizine, loratidine and fenofexadine, the modern H1 selective ones, correct.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Right.

It depends whether the antihistamine is one of old nonselective variety such as diphenhydramine or a modern 'non-sedating' antihistamine. The old ones cross the blood brain barrier (BBB) and interfere with ACh and 5-HT receptors in the brain causing sedation which exacerbates the effects of alcohol. Avoid heavy machinery, driving or calling me a poof.

The new ones such as cetirizine and loratidine are more selective for the H1 histamine receptor and cross the BBB less avidly and so won't interact significantly with sauce.
DUR ! Anyone could have told us that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have a tractor mower I use really just to move things about as I have a trailer for it. Went to move it, unbeknown to me there was a wasp nest in the engine cowl. Ended up being stung over 4 times. Never had a reaction before but today all sites are swelling up. I've taken antihistamines, double dose. Never had pain from stings like this. Screw the garden I'm having a beer :ROFLMAO:
Wimp

Many years ago my dad was doing some work in the back garden, and opened up what had previously been a shelter that earlier home owners had used during WWII, to release a wasp colony, I don't think that any part of his upper body wasn't stung.

But rather like the Black Knight, his response basically was it is but a flesh wound. It must however have been painful as he came in from the garden sat down in his chair and had a cup of tea.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Drink the antihistamine and rub the beer on the sting.

You never know until you try it.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Although not necessarily of medicine.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Fair question. I was stung multiple times in one year when I had a wasps nest in the wall cavity next to my bedroom (I was about 10). By the end of that summer stings no longer hurt. The fearlessness you have when you believe yourself to be immune means that I have only been stung once in the 40 years since then (it didn't hurt). I happily clap wasps out of the air with bare hands. If I wasn't fat and 50 I think the women would fall at my feet.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I have a tractor mower I use really just to move things about as I have a trailer for it. Went to move it, unbeknown to me there was a wasp nest in the engine cowl. Ended up being stung over 4 times. Never had a reaction before but today all sites are swelling up. I've taken antihistamines, double dose. Never had pain from stings like this. Screw the garden I'm having a beer :ROFLMAO:
You need to man up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here