Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

was tonight the 1st mistake made by the club?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

The club don't set the prices. The event organisers do, in this case the FA.

Not true as when I got the tickets for the previous England game they said the CLUB priced them at 50p and they didnt expect many people to come, but once people were buying 50 + at a time they new they got it wronge, the FA just get a % of the income made.
Neither the Club nor the FA set the prices for tonight's game.

It was the English Schools' Football Association.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Prices were too high, end of. I can watch professional ice hockey for that price at Guildford. £4 maybe £5 is the most you get away with charging for this game. Let kids in for a pound and you would have at least doubled the attendance. Whoever set their prices needs to poke their head out the door and get a sniff of the real world.

Football fans will pay lots to follow their clubs. But their not all idiots who are so desperate to watch any live football that they will get fleeced at a kids game.

The last time I saw an England Schools' international team (at Crawley), there were quite a few of the England team who qualified to play senior football for countries other than England. Following in Ryan Giggs' footsteps.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Was unable to turn up until half time and then was REFUSED entry into the ground despite having paid. Steward had to call a supervisor, who took ages, by which time I was joined by 3 generations of a family who had also turned up late.

Apparently it's 'policy' so, should you be having a nightmare journey to a game next season then you might as well give up because turning up late is not allowed.

Eventually some common sense prevailed and we were all allowed in.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Was tonights pricing for the Centenary Shield the 1st major mistake the club have made since moving into the Amex?

As the Attendance was a grand total of 2,822.

Tickets were £8 for adults and £5 for kids, I believe but Im pretty sure if the club priced it like the England vs Denmark game this could of sold out easy, even if they had the tickets at £2 for adults and £1 for kids instead of 50p a ticket, but £8 for an adult is abit of a p!ss take IMO and poor judgement by the club.

Also parking was £10 ! where as last time it was free.

I wonder if this will effect us hosting more important future England games at the Amex as the FA are not happy with the amount of tickets which were sold & I dont blame them.

I logged on to buy 10 tickets as i did for the last one , took nephews my daughter and friends,but saw the prices this time round and thought what a fcuking rip off as it seems did everyone else

Dec 29, 2011
and the atmosphere was possibly the worst and most forced of any game I've been to
Agree and it was the same tonight. Horns and kids shouting "who are ya" is just cringe worthy.

What was the name of the Irish number 10? He was an incredible player - outstanding prospect. Wonderful dribbling, passing and vision.
Stood out amongst some shit players. Faded from 35-60 minutes but was very good in the other two sections. He's one of probably four players who will actually make it based on tonights performance.
Not true as when I got the tickets for the previous England game they said the CLUB priced them at 50p and they didnt expect many people to come, but once people were buying 50 + at a time they new they got it wronge, the FA just get a % of the income made.
BAHA had nothing to do with ticket pricing or distribution.

His name is Sweet, scored our two goals.
Can see the headline now, Sweet wraps up victory.
Wrong team, but our number 10 was pretty decent too.

The Irish no 10 scored both England's goals?
lol
The football wasn't bad to be honest
Lets not lie, it was pretty bad.
The Irish played some lovely stuff. I switched my support after ten minutes!
this

Was unable to turn up until half time and then was REFUSED entry into the ground despite having paid. Steward had to call a supervisor, who took ages, by which time I was joined by 3 generations of a family who had also turned up late.

Apparently it's 'policy' so, should you be having a nightmare journey to a game next season then you might as well give up because turning up late is not allowed.

Eventually some common sense prevailed and we were all allowed in.
Not at all like my experience once at Doncaster. Because of a suicide on the railway at Peterborough, we arrived at the ground at half time (in a taxi, arranged and paid for by another Albion fan who had been stuck on the same train - a nice guy, name of Bloom, as it happens). Mr Bloom had no trouble using his hospitality pass to get into the ground. But us ticketless fans found all the gates locked. Until a friendly Donny steward offered us a cheap deal. "Give us a tenner and I can get you in, no problem". Cheapest game I've paid for in years. Somehow I doubt that DRFC ever saw the money, though.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

As above. The Club do NOT set prices for any non Albion related match. :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It was my first visit to the Amex for one reason and another, and Arthurs first proper football match. All enjoyed and £25 for a family outing is a bargain ( add a tenner for the train) pies where good too.

Its no Goldstone ground, but I think the concept will grow on me. nothing will replace that walk from Hove station through the houses though.

I saw much worse football at the Goldstone, at Gillingham . . . and, on occaision, at Withdean.

it must cost thousands just top open the ground.

nearly 3000 for a kids match is a good turn out, and I think it made a good opportunity for families to introduce younger children to the occaision.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My dad almost had a heart attack when he saw England versus Ireland on the big screen. And then it said schoolboy, it hard to get excited about that. At least U21 level you get a decent feeling of who might be in the future national team. Players flit in and out at U18 level

Id definitely attend any U21 fixture.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I don't think they play those games at the right time either, 7.30 on a school night means most young kids wont be able to go. I was considering giving my grandsons their first Amex experience but the time and cost put me off.

Why don't they play at midday on Saturday or Sunday? They would get more kids along, and could have given some tickets to local football clubs (like they used to when I played for Bevendean Barcelona U12's!), my first 2 games at Wembley were schoolboy internationals and were Saturday afternoons in the school holidays.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Far too expensive in my view for what it was

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Was it a really mistake - and if it was, did it happen prior to September last year?

Because I'd say that the club banning a long-standing supporter and then refusing to compromise or even listen was definitely a mistake and definitely happened *before* the setting of prices for this game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here