Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was there a pub in Brighton station once upon a time?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Defintely called Bonapartes.

Brighton Gull

Apr 14, 2011
Brighton
it might have been Bonapartes later on but nothing so great in the late 1950s. When my mother & friends used to take us kids up to London they always went in there on the way back (long journeys in those days!). it had a longish bar & I remember it was very, very quiet. Can't remember the name but there are tours of Brighton Station (usually during the Festival) where you can see tunnels & all sorts of things - perhaps they remember the name of the bar. I think it was next to the cafeteria & a bit further up from where M&S is now. My mother was very chuffed one day when we got on the Brighton Belle just behind Sir Laurence!

Talking of long journeys - did anyone take the coach to London in those days? It seemed to take forever, before the M23. The route meandered through the Surrey Hills & near Reigate, I think, it used to stop for tea & toilet. I always remember there was a tiny caff, with someone playing the piano! However long was that journey then?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
It was Bonapartes at the end but before that it was a proper pub which I used most days after work.
It closed then reopened as Bonapartes which I rarely used, wasn`t the same.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Definitely called Bonapartes. I met my girlfriend there and I said to her that my Mum wanted to call me Napoleon when I was born but was worried I'd be bullied. She thought that was so sweet and the rest is history. We've been together ever since. She often says I remind her of Napoleon. I tell her it makes me feel ten foot tall when she says that and for some reason she seems to think I'm taking the piss.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Definitely called Bonapartes. I met my girlfriend there and I said to her that my Mum wanted to call me Napoleon when I was born but was worried I'd be bullied. She thought that was so sweet and the rest is history. We've been together ever since. She often says I remind her of Napoleon. I tell her it makes me feel ten foot tall when she says that and for some reason she seems to think I'm taking the piss.

Not denying it was called Bonapartes but that was very short lived and opened after the original Whistlestop closed.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Drank there once in 96 after the Brighton - Cardiff game and it was a war zone. Cardiff were drinking in there and a mob of Brighton walked in and trashed the place and I mean trashed it and Cardiff got a good kicking. No windows left outside or inside, all tables and chairs were smashed and there were no optics left.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Moving on from the pub in the station, does anyone remember the Connex trains which had a buffet car with seating area? it was like a moving pub. Must be about 15 years ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here