Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was the original yes to Falmer sabotaged?

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Lord Bracknell said:
LDC's early hostile comments were all about how they disagreed with Prescott's assessment of the relative weight to be given to the various conflicting policies that apply to an application as complex as this - but those matters are "within the exclusive province of the Secretary of State", so count for nothing at the end of the day. It was some weeks before LDC found the Built Up Area error. And that's the only one with any legal weight.

Which, as I'm led to believe, was why the individual concerned in the Gov't Dept was "devastated".

Nobby's Betamax Video said:
Which, as I'm led to believe, was why the individual concerned in the Gov't Dept was "devastated".
Can you ask her to run the next decision letter past the FFA team before it goes along the corridor for ministerial approval?

:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
perseus said:
Yep, somebody delayed it deliberately!

I think they know they can do this (I have suspected this before) when the Government are not really satisfied with the plan, but can find no legal or planning reason to stop it.
Oh shut up, Judas.

Two people who know 50 times more about this than you do have already said what happened. Go back to your frogspawn and your pondlife in the mysterious fantasy island of Pende. (Soon to be known as 'Brighton City Airport runway extension'.)

Last edited:

C.Gull

Jan 29, 2007
The board have used Falmer for doing very little in the transfer market,what are they going to do if its approved.
They have little financial clout so it will be very interesting to learn the next excuse for not buying decent players.
Any suggestions?

Gully said:
It might sum up a Labour government, but I am convinced that if we had had a Tory one the closest we would get to seeing the Albion play now is at home during a game of Subbuteo.

:clap:

They tried their damnedest to stop us playing at Withdean for those who have conveniently forgotten. Also, let's not forget every Sussex tory mp is against Falmer.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
C.Gull said:
The board have used Falmer for doing very little in the transfer market,what are they going to do if its approved.
They have little financial clout so it will be very interesting to learn the next excuse for not buying decent players.
Any suggestions?
I'll have a pint of the Swan's Best Bitter, Mr Woodruff.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Nemesis said:

They tried their damnedest to stop us playing at Withdean for those who have conveniently forgotten. Also, let's not forget every Sussex tory mp is against Falmer.

Some of our fans have very short memories. I suspect Norman Fraudster and his IllibUndem cronies opposed the stadium so that they could appeal to the football-hating Tory types that rule village Sussex.

mona said:
I'll have a pint of the Swan's Best Bitter, Mr Woodruff.

I wouldn't-I've heard the beer in the Swan isn't kept too well. Something to do with the landlord trying to discourage beer drinking oiks from frequenting his crappy pub.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You can bank your life on Tory supporting immigrants to Sussex (from Surrey etc) that are anti-football (they went to Public School where they they pay rugger: these shits are too stupid to kick the ball, they have to pick it up).

These fuckers weigh eighteen school and run at 15 mph or so. No good shooting them double barrelled once, got to blast them a few times and then get out of the way. Momentum of these fuckers carries them on.

:drink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nemesis said:

And don't forget it was the Tory-controlled Hove council that let Archer sell the Goldstone for redevelopment.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Gwylan said:
And don't forget it was the Tory-controlled Hove council that let Archer sell the Goldstone for redevelopment.

All the council would have done was give permission for the development. At the time I don't remember that being seen as a bad thing as it raised the value of the Goldstone and meant we weren't wound up. The council didn't control whether Archer then sold it or not.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
m20gull said:
All the council would have done was give permission for the development.

Isn't that enough? They could easily have refused it or set conditions on the developers paying for a new ground, but no, they just let Archer have what he wanted.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Gwylan said:
Isn't that enough? They could easily have refused it or set conditions on the developers paying for a new ground, but no, they just let Archer have what he wanted.
.. which I don't recall being seen at the time as a bad thing. I thought the Hove council was unpopular because they tried to impose conditions on its use that limited its value (such as stopping it being a DIY store),

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
m20gull said:
.. which I don't recall being seen at the time as a bad thing. I thought the Hove council was unpopular because they tried to impose conditions on its use that limited its value (such as stopping it being a DIY store),

My memory is different. I remember that there was outrage when the Goldstone was sold and there were no plans for a new ground but we would be ground-sharing with Portsmouth.
I certainly don't recall any Albion fans thinking the sale of the Goldstone was beneficial to the club.

Gwylan said:
My memory is different. I remember that there was outrage when the Goldstone was sold and there were no plans for a new ground but we would be ground-sharing with Portsmouth.
I certainly don't recall any Albion fans thinking the sale of the Goldstone was beneficial to the club.
True.

But the earlier aim was just to get planning permission for development in order to increase the value of the site and allow the Club to borrow more against that increased value.

There was a massive fans' petition submitted to Hove Council in support of planning permission being given.

Disposal of the site with nowhere to go was a completely different issue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
True.

But the earlier aim was just to get planning permission for development in order to increase the value of the site and allow the Club to borrow more against that increased value.

There was a massive fans' petition submitted to Hove Council in support of planning permission being given.

Disposal of the site with nowhere to go was a completely different issue.

I stand corrected.

I don't remember anything about a fans' petition and I was a season ticket holder in the early 90s - did I spend several years being totally pissed or something?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
It inrigues me that Perseus has appeared to have completely forgotten his anti Falmer past

I have never opposed Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here