Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was TB right to sack Chris Hughton?

Was TB right to sack Chris Hughton

• Total voters

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Yes. Of course it was harsh and shocking but frankly I would rather it be the way it was than have seen a downward spiral through the autumn to Christmas and crowds baying for his head on a platter. We shall never know if CH could have pushed on but all the signs were there that it was not to be and the way it happened does keep his name and reputation untarnished.

TB took a tough decision but it was the right one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the question misses a crucial question:-

'Would Potter be available to the Albion if Tony had waited?'

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
It's easy to say yes now that we're probably going to stay up but were those people saying yes before the lockdown, when points were few and far between?

At the time I said no, he deserved a shot at another season even though in general we were playing fairly boring and safe football. He still kept us up and managed to get some big results (like 6 points off Palace).

It could also be argued it was the player recruitment that was the problem not CH's management.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
right decision in every sense but I think unceremonious nature of it left left a rather bitter taste for some. it would have been nice if the fans had know before city that he was leaving.

in terms of a footballing choice it was 100% correct. people always say with regards to the 'hughton was sacked due to his style of play' argument "wouldn't you rather play awful football and win games than try to play nice football and get relegated". people forget that hughton wasn't winning games, which is primarily why he was sacked. I think tony has been vindicated in his choice so far, and the club now has a very high ceiling under gp. some people however (*cough* john barnes *cough*) are still struggling to accept that the right decision was made last may. Ch will always be an albion legend though.

Whilst I agree with the vast majority of your post, we won 9 games last season and have only won 8 so far this season. Hopefully, we can match the 9 or even get 10 with wins against Newcastle or Saints.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I agree with the vast majority of your post, we won 9 games last season and have only won 8 so far this season. Hopefully, we can match the 9 or even get 10 with wins against Newcastle or Saints.

Daft as this going to sound I was more interested in seeing a game I enjoyed than staying up. I have enjoyed pretty well all the games this season. After Xmas last season I was actively looking for excuses not to go as every game I came out feeling angry :shrug:

I HAVE actually quite enjoyed large parts of the season in seasons we have ended up being relegated. I actually hated the end of last season.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’d like a poll option for, why on earth does anyone still want to dredge up this dull conversation that has been done 34 million times and nobody is adding anything new to

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d like a poll option for, why on earth does anyone still want to dredge up this dull conversation that has been done 34 million times and nobody is adding anything new to

Fill your boots. Look forward to the poll :thumbsup:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Daft as this going to sound I was more interested in seeing a game I enjoyed than staying up. I have enjoyed pretty well all the games this season. After Xmas last season I was actively looking for excuses not to go as every game I came out feeling angry :shrug:

I HAVE actually quite enjoyed large parts of the season in seasons we have ended up being relegated. I actually hated the end of last season.

This encapsulates my feelings exactly. Would rather go down well, than stay up badly.

As an entertainment form the football was dire and the result (of staying up) just wasn't enough for me to justify what we had to watch.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
In my opinion yes.

We were getting criticism from every quarter about our style of play, we avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth and were in dreadful form from Christmas onwards. Personally I wasn’t enjoying watching us play and was losing a bit of interest, it felt stagnated.

I enjoyed Hughton’s football in the Championship, I like the fella but I’m glad we moved on.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Yes. Performances and results had nosedived, and for me the issue was going to be 'will we be able to recruit decent new players, will they want to come with such a recent record'? Clearly we would have been sifting through a list of desperate choices.
Desperately sorry for the guy though

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

that's nitpicking :D

the real stat is that we probably safe with 5 games to go rather than down to the wire...

I am not sure whether Hughton would have shown a different side after 2 years of success (keeping us in PL) but I think he would have played it even tighter.

He did a fantastic job , the circumstances of him being sacked were not good but the football was dire and he lost the dressing room.

I was talking to some West Brom fans at the away game about sacking Pullis and they were quite clear in their view there is more to football than being in the PL and that you actually should be able to enjoy what you are watching.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
JRGs head is going to explode

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

perhaps, though I definitely should highlight that I think the manner (not style of play per se, but more overall performance) in which we lost these games played a part in the sacking, rather than just the result. I think where we've lost games this season we've generally felt we've mostly played well and there's definitely a clear sense of direction within the team and a desire to improve (again relating back to my comment about the clubs 'ceiling'). I think with hughton it looked as though the team had just run out of ideas, the home defeats to bournemouth and cardiff were both in unacceptable manners and you could see that we were only heading in one direction under Ch. whereas this season I think most of us (tb included) have backed gp to keep getting the team better and better even when we haven't been winning.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
that's nitpicking :D

the real stat is that we probably safe with 5 games to go rather than down to the wire...

I am not sure whether Hughton would have shown a different side after 2 years of success (keeping us in PL) but I think he would have played it even tighter.

He did a fantastic job , the circumstances of him being sacked were not good but the football was dire and he lost the dressing room.

I was talking to some West Brom fans at the away game about sacking Pullis and they were quite clear in their view there is more to football than being in the PL and that you actually should be able to enjoy what you are watching.

Good point about WBA, I remember one of their fans coming on 606 show and saying the same thing. I think there are teams like WBA and Norwich too that are coming to regard relegation as an occupational hazard, rather than the unthinkable that the media like to portray relegation as. Watford and Burnley may come into that category too - they certainly control their spending.

I am surprised that Chris hasn't got another job. I think Fulham, Derby and Forest may all have more points if he was in charge.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Was Mike Bamber right to sack Jimmy Melia?

It's almost as relevant a question as the op.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
100% the right decision and to be honest I was delighted even at the time.

I'll always love Chris but the football was honestly infuriating to watch last season. Setting up for 0-0 draws at home to relegation candidates (e.g Southampton) which inevitably ended in a 0-1/0-2 loss was just painful to see. Potter has us better in literally every single regard and with so much more potential to progress, with his style of football and willingness to use the youth.

The fact people like John Barnes are still trying to say it was unfair/the wrong decision really wind me up too. I guarantee he didn't watch us play because anyone who did would have to understand that it was time for a change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here