Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was I Wrong To Throw Something At A Traffic Warden?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The problem is differentiating between the 'letter of the law' and the 'spirit of the law'.

Hitting a single yellow-lined residential area the very second any remaining parkers are liable for a ticket is applying the letter of the law and not the spirit. And it is these type of occurences that will give traffic wardens a bad name.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
bhaexpress said:
Normally I might have gone along (to a degree) with Looney. You're right, I see no problem with penalising selfish drivers but the Parking Wardens in Brighton are a case apart. They have a nasty habit of ignoring disabled stickers and other such facistic actions.

As I discovered, one day when parked outside the Seagulls Shop in Queens Road with disabled badge in windscreen and Mother inside the shop I got a swarm of Traffic Wardens who had been allerted to my parking by the cameras telling me to shift it as it was causing an obstruction. It wasn't cars could pass, but hey!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
marvin said:
As I discovered, one day when parked outside the Seagulls Shop in Queens Road with disabled badge in windscreen and Mother inside the shop I got a swarm of Traffic Wardens who had been allerted to my parking by the cameras telling me to shift it as it was causing an obstruction. It wasn't cars could pass, but hey!

And they had no right to do that, my point exactly, hence I don't have a problem with byf's actions.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well said Marvin and bhaexpress. I've got no time for this 'they're just doing their job' argument. They are a curse on Society and they do it because they want to. In residential areas 90% of yellow lines are there simply to irritate residents. They should stick to city centres and quite correctly penalise people eho park in bus lanes etc.

Make it a brick next time byf.

PS - I should add I've never got a parking ticket in my life.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brovian said:
Well said Marvin and bhaexpress. I've got no time for this 'they're just doing their job' argument. They are a curse on Society and they do it because they want to. In residential areas 90% of yellow lines are there simply to irritate residents. They should stick to city centres and quite correctly penalise people eho park in bus lanes etc.

Wandsworth council asked the residents of my last street whether to introduce a parking zone and the overwhelming majority said 'yes'. I don't know that squares with this idea that yellow lines are there to irritate residents, seeing that most residents wanted parking restrictions.

And advocating throwing anything at people doing their job is cowardly in the extreme.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gwylan said:
Wandsworth council asked the residents of my last street whether to introduce a parking zone and the overwhelming majority said 'yes'. I don't know that squares with this idea that yellow lines are there to irritate residents, seeing that most residents wanted parking restrictions.

And advocating throwing anything at people doing their job is cowardly in the extreme.

Because it's a parking zone, not a blanket ban (which is what double yellow lines are) I would love a properly controlled parking zone outside my house as opposed to the current free-for-all.

And originally I said I didn't condone byf's actions (see page 1). However I'm frankly appalled by the sanctimonious attitude of a lot of NSC posters, both over this issue and speeding; this "if you break the law you deserve to get punished so don't do it" attitiude. Rubbish. With all laws there is a letter and a spirit: parking in a bus lane is a no-no, parking overnight on a residential double yellow isn't. Doing 50 mph past a childrens' crossing patrol should be punished most heavily, doing 80 on a motorway shouldn't. A woman who in self-defence kills a drunken and abusive husband after years of torment shouldn't be judged the same way as Ian Huntley.

I'm appalled that people can't see the differences and just support the Authorities whether they're right or wrong. As Marvin said in the old days Traffic Wardens knew the difference, they came with a human face, human values and a sense of doing a useful job, now their just corporate ticket machines whose job is to generate revenue.

So if I have to side with people who throw things at traffic wardens or those who defend them I'm on the side of the chuckers. Sorry. I hope one day it doesn't have to be like this.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It's not sanctimonious it's a fact that if you don't do it you can't get caught. If you get caught, life's a bitch, but hey, pay up and move on there's no point whinging and bitching about it to everyone.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
nobody likes a traffic warden. they derserve all they get. lets have riot against them.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Traffic wardens are not scum, they are (as numerous others have pointed out) just doing their job. Where I live, we don't have a traffic warden and believe me the roads are a nightmare with all the illegally and dangerously parked cars. And what would solve this? A warden would, so instead of having a go just park legally (it's much safer if nothing else) and then sit back and laugh the next time someone gets ticketed.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i always park legally anyway. cannot afford parking tickets. just cannot stand traffic wardens. must admit i parked on double yellows years ago, to get a bacon and egg sarnie, and got ticketed. but the car park were the shop was, was full.

:nono:

glosterseagull

Oct 2, 2003
If you think they are scum then they will return the favour.

you park illegally you have a risk of gatting a ticket...so dont do it if you dont want a ticket.

I park illegally and accept the risk - if i catch the warden before hand I make sure I do not abuse him or her. That tactic worked as on one occasion the warden ripped the ticket up and wrote spoilt on her copy. "She said that I was a refreshing change!" :angel:

Treat people as you wish to be treated.

:clap:

MRRF 10

traffic wardens are just doing there job, and i totally agree with looney with what he said about the emergency services unable to get through, resulting in people getting killed just because of some lazy git who cant be bothered to walk an extra few steps.

And i also agree with glosterseagull saying treat them how you want to be treated. Be nice they may be nice to you, be horrible, how is that going to make them not give you the ticket?

ffs be reasonable and try not to be so lazy, but i know that will never happen until we get better public transport.

To answer the question, of course it's bloody well wrong to throw something at a traffic warden.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We had to wait for 6 months for a residents parking permit in Brighton which regularly meant parking up to a mile away from our flat. When it finally came we parked the car (legally) and within three days it had had it's back window smashed and radio stolen.

Less that a week later we were unloading shopping with our front wheel barely touching a single yellow.

This fuzz-faced neo-Hitler then stands there with me and the missus with our hands full shopping and starts seriously telling us that if we didn't reverse he'd ticket us (of course we couldn't reverse because the "legally", but selfishly, parked person beind us had taken up a quarter of the legal space).

Two days later we sold the car and have never owned another one since.

byf, I hope it was my guy you hit but if it wan't please keep trying :clap:

MRRF 10

byf said:
GOOD POINT MARVIN!

But i just had to throw it!

yes you are rather boring aren't you?

six_yard_punisha said:
Yep, I'm with Looney! Abusing a public official for doing their job is pretty low. If you don't like the rules why not have a go at the people that make them, not those earning a living to support their family etc. It's like abusing people in a utility call centre for high prices - pointless and rude.

The reason people do abuse TWs is because they are easy targets. Would you do the same to a copper because you saw someone being arrested for a crime you didn't think should be one? Thought not.

:clap: :clap:

alan partridge said:

oh and i hope you picked up your litter after you chucked it young man

don't be stupid, he has no brain.

and.....

Byf if you think it's right to throw things at these people then you obviously wouldn't mind if they through it back, or they punched you.
Or would you?

But they wouldn't do that, thay have a brain, and respect people, unlike you, it seems.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Reliant said:
yes you are rather boring aren't you?

:clap: :clap:

don't be stupid, he has no brain.

and.....

Byf if you think it's right to throw things at these people then you obviously wouldn't mind if they through it back, or they punched you.
Or would you?

But they wouldn't do that, thay have a brain, and respect people, unlike you, it seems.

Yes but bear in mind, as I said earlier, these are BRIGHTON Traffic Wardens who are far more obnoxious than most. In the days when I used to read the Anus there was always a constant stream of complaints about these over zealous little facists.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I am really torn on this issue. The reasonable side of me agrees with the "only doing their job" argument, but then there is a side of me that thinks some of them deliberately antagonise motorists. I would object to a brick having been thrown at a traffic warden but as it was only a bit of paper I cannot understand why the reaction of the passing pedestrian was so strong. I would hate to have a job like that, and it must be awful facing daily abuse from normally reasonable people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here