Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was I dreaming ?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Like most of you, I'm completely and utterly hacked off with the amount of cheating both on and off the pitch in football. I'm convinced that whilst playing for Chelsea and Hove Albion in the early 70's, Chris Garland actually got the referee to rule out one of his 'goals', because his effort on goal was wide, and actually entered the goal via a hole in the side netting. Can you imagine a player doing that now ?!!

I've trawled the internet, but have been unable to find anything to prove that this actually happened. Can anyone on NSC help me to substantiate this incredible act of sportsmanship.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like most of you, I'm completely and utterly hacked off with the amount of cheating both on and off the pitch in football. I'm convinced that whilst playing for Chelsea and Hove Albion in the early 70's, Chris Garland actually got the referee to rule out one of his 'goals', because his effort on goal was wide, and actually entered the goal via a hole in the side netting. Can you imagine a player doing that now ?!!

I've trawled the internet, but have been unable to find anything to prove that this actually happened. Can anyone on NSC help me to substantiate this incredible act of sportsmanship.
Yes. I have no corroborating evidence, just my, not always perfect memory, but I do recall that happening. Can't give any more details, sorry, but it does ring a bell. I think there was a bit of controversy and the ref actually asked him what he thought had happened, and he said that he thought it may have gone in through a hole in the net.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The sad thing is, that when you look up Chris Garland on the internet, there are plenty of references to his alcoholism and gambling addiction, but this great act of sportsmanship doesn't appear to get a mention !

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
C'mon you lot ! NSC has proved itself to be a source of all knowledge over the years, but apart from an excellent contribution from Brovion, my question remains unanswered, and definitive proof continues to elude me.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Not finding any incident like it in the British Newspaper Archive but maybe wasn't newpapers worthy stuff

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It has happened in recent times, in fact it looks like the player did try talking to the ref but he was not for changing his mind.

Keeper shouldn't get beaten at his near post like that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here