Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was forcing Sanchez out the worst decision our club has made in years?

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Nah, that was beautiful!

A truly delightful game that 4-1 was. Three points in the bag and 30k people being more excited about Graham Potter than they've ever been about their own team (judging from the amount of 'loudest we've ever been' comments).

That's literally how football - in stadiums, rather than dispassionately watching from the Internet- works. Momentary human pleasure in the moment.

Spontaneous, petty grudges, schadenfreude and drunkenness.

Is it hard to imagine why that might have been the best atmosphere that season.

I suppose we could always get some helmets with drums, a megaphone and coordinated clapping to make an atmosphere.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I would argue that booing the entire Chelsea team, bench, coaches, fans in that 4-1 win at the Amex and making Cucurella play like a lost child was one of my favourite ever football memories.

It's topped off by the fact that it was the first Albion win my son watched live so it'll always have wonderful memories
Like X 1000

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Of course he will, you're absolutely deluded if you think people enjoy meeting and passing by hundreds of people every day who all think you're shit and should get the f*** out. And thats what happens to a scapegoat in a big club like Chelsea.

This one of the core issues of sport: the players are human, and fans think that humans are automatically always happy if they have money, because thats what the Hollywood brainwashing shit tells them. But there's plenty of depression and dark feelings within football.

Agree to a point, but I don’t think you can say “this player refused to sit on the bench for Brighton and may feel sad at criticism from Chelsea fans, so deserves our sympathy and respect, when he considered himself “above” Brighton’s level.”

When you set yourself up as above human, and impervious to criticism from the club you’re contracted to, you can’t then be above criticism because you’ve moved club.

I do feel he’s a solid keeper, I also believe there are quite a few better keepers. I don’t believe any side wins the title with Sanchez as their no. #1

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
That's literally how football - in stadiums, rather than dispassionately watching from the Internet- works. Momentary human pleasure in the moment.

Spontaneous, petty grudges, schadenfreude and drunkenness.

Is it hard to imagine why that might have been the best atmosphere that season.

I suppose we could always get some helmets with drums, a megaphone and coordinated clapping to make an atmosphere.
In England you mean? Possible. In stadiums elsewhere the home team is often enough to get people going but we're all different.

Like I said, it was great fun.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Back in the day, Barber called us "customers" I think it wound people up because of the comments above. I remember Dan Harding getting rinsed against Will Buckley and Cucurella against us for Chelsea in that game. Why I remember it, is that the more we booed, the more abuse they got, the worse they played.

Now, that is what being a fan is all about. There is no doubt it make a difference. Everton gave up yesterday when they all left.

Last edited:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
In England you mean? Possible. In stadiums elsewhere the home team is often enough to get people going but we're all different.

Like I said, it was great fun.
People regularly 'get going' - and then there are special atmospheres for special reasons.

English crowds are pretty well know for reacting and acting with spontaneity (which can also be spontaneously being overcome by torpor - but it's an honest reaction to what is being displayed and the politics at hand)

But this is a club in England, and Brighton fans taking about Brighton atmospheres on a Brighton messageboard in key games seems reasonable.

Mr Phil

Nov 29, 2022
Carbon copy of the Connolly thread when he went all gangster outside a Brighton nightclub.
Fans got sick of his off field antics and then got accused of bullying the knob.
Hang on I know he was a bit of a tit but what do you mean by “went gangster”?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back in the day, Barber called us "customers" I think it wound people up because of the comments above. I remember Dan Harding getting rinsed against Will Buckley and Cucurella against us for Chelsea in that game. Why I remember it, is that the more we booed, the more abuse they got, the worse they played.

Now, that is what being a fan is all about. There is no doubt it make a difference. Everton gave up yesterday when they all left.
Yep 👍

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Harding is another great example. I remember him being made to be a total fool at the Withdean. Booed from minute one and subbed at half time.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! 😂

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Harding is another great example. I remember him being made to be a total fool at the Withdean. Booed from minute one and subbed at half time.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! 😂
That was at the Amex. 2nd Jan 2012. He was subbed off after 40 mins, on a yellow, utterly broken and taken off before he got himself sent off. We totally got in his head that day.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
People regularly 'get going' - and then there are special atmospheres for special reasons.

English crowds are pretty well know for reacting and acting with spontaneity (which can also be spontaneously being overcome by torpor - but it's an honest reaction to what is being displayed and the politics at hand)

But this is a club in England, and Brighton fans taking about Brighton atmospheres on a Brighton messageboard in key games seems reasonable.
Having someone facing the crowd getting them to chant and having a drum banging on is not an atmosphere. They aren't even watching the game as some twats has brought along a load of 20 ft high flags. . Oh and let's look good and light a flare. Great.

At least our crowds react to the events on the pitch.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Having someone facing the crowd getting them to chant and having a drum banging on is not an atmosphere. They aren't even watching the game as some twats has brought along a load of 20 ft high flags. . Oh and let's look good and light a flare. Great.

At least our crowds react to the events on the pitch.
The tifo culture you're referring to, which is all over Europe, is about proactively helping the team create better events on the pitch - not waiting around for the pitch to cause a reaction.

The fans of Löberöd, Marseille, Cagliari, Dortmund or wherever won't agree with you that singing throughout the game and pushing your team on "isn't an atmosphere".

Its different. No better or worse. The quiet people in the Amex silently waiting for a goal aren't more super fans than those who have a capo starting chants that 30k, 40k, 50k people participate in. And vice versa.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The tifo culture you're referring to, which is all over Europe, is about proactively helping the team create better events on the pitch - not waiting around for the pitch to cause a reaction.

The fans of Löberöd, Marseille, Cagliari, Dortmund or wherever won't agree with you that singing throughout the game and pushing your team on "isn't an atmosphere".

Its different. No better or worse. The quiet people in the Amex silently waiting for a goal aren't more super fans than those who have a capo starting chants that 30k, 40k, 50k people participate in. And vice versa.

Ich frage mich, was P. Gross von der Tifo-Kultur hält.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

And demonising an ex manager, creating a hostile environment which everyone particpated in,, leading, to an improved performance and various opposition players losing their heads,was us proactively helping our team create 'better events on the pitch'. Despite you characterising that process as those present as simply 'being more excited about Graham Potter than they've ever been about their own team'

You're right that there is no better or worse . But that doesn't feel like your real view.

And, it was the same quiet Amex super fans last season who watched a number of tifo led fan groups at their stadium bang out incessant loud drum beats and nuremberg rally style choreographed chants which their own team barely even registered due to its monotony, as they were comprehensively outplayed.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
And demonising an ex manager, creating a hostile environment which everyone particpated in,, leading, to an improved performance and various opposition players losing their heads,was us proactively helping our team create 'better events on the pitch'. Despite you characterising that process as those present as simply 'being more excited about Graham Potter than they've ever been about their own team'

You're right that there is no better or worse . But that doesn't feel like your real view.

And, it was the same quiet Amex super fans last season who watched a number of tifo led fan groups at their stadium bang out incessant loud drum beats and nuremberg rally style choreographed chants which their own team barely even registered due to its monotony, as they were comprehensively outplayed.
Yup, you managed to be proactive and it was - as I've said - delightful even on the TV screen. But normally you guys describe your fan culture as "reactive", so clearly that was an exception from the normal?

That they're no better or worse: it isn't my real view, it is the real view though.

As for the European teams visiting, at least Ajax and AEK (dunno exact about Marseille) doesn't even pay a third of the wages Brighton does, yet the AEK fans helped their team to a win against a billionaire bankrolled Premier League club. That's the power of fans.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
That's so weird, I have such a vivid memory of us doing him at Withers
We gave him shit whenever he played against us. I think his only appearance against us at Withdean was a 2-2 draw with Southampton but he never got subbed off.

There was another Amex game where he got taken off at half time when playing for Forest but the Southampton game in 2012 was definitely the one where he’d lost his head totally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here