Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was FIFA right to ban games at high altitude?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Difficult one really innit. Although not for Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru I guess - who think they are being PICKED on.

But the fact is that Ecuador qualified for the last WC off the back of a FINE home record with opposing players complaining of breathing difficulties.

Personally I'm torn - I do think that the likes of Brazil and Argentina were acting like whinging kids and should be turning over these nations anyway. On the other hand, what is the point of playing games in unreasonably harsh conditions? Which begs the question, what is an acceptable level or heat? Should Norway be expected to play in hot conditions that they might not be used to in the next WC if they qualify? I bet you won't hear Brazil and Argentina moaning about that...

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru etc should be able to and MUST be allowed to play their games in their own country. If a home team has advantage then fine.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Downloaded Penguin said:
Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru etc should be able to and MUST be allowed to play their games in their own country. If a home team has advantage then fine.
They can. Just not in their captial cities, which are all above the "acceptable" altitude level, apparently.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
More than a little unfair on the club sides that play in Quito, La Paz, Cusco and so on. It's a ridiculous ruling ... which is pretty much the norm for FIFA, I guess.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Making players play in a location that could be medically dangerous shouldn't be allowed to happen. I guess thats why a line should be drawn above which teams would have to find an alternative location to play. Harsh but fair I think.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's bollocks. In the same way that an away game in Russia in winter is a tough proposition, it's part of the game. And it hasn't exactly stopped Brazil and Argentina qualifying.

The only thing would be if there was a unanimous medical consensus that playing at that altitude was actually putting people in mortal danger, but as far as I'm aware, that doesn't exist. People haven't died - those countries have just got a few better results.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
tedebear said:
Making players play in a location that could be medically dangerous shouldn't be allowed to happen. I guess thats why a line should be drawn above which teams would have to find an alternative location to play. Harsh but fair I think.

As mentioned above, do you apply the same conditions to extreme heat/cold?

And what are the clubs who come from those regions supposed to do?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Tooting Gull said:
I think it's bollocks. In the same way that an away game in Russia in winter is a tough proposition, it's part of the game. And it hasn't exactly stopped Brazil and Argentina qualifying.

is it any worse than playing in a smog ridden Rio ? or the humid far east ?

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Schrödinger's Toad said:
As mentioned above, do you apply the same conditions to extreme heat/cold?

And what are the clubs who come from those regions supposed to do?

I should have put quote marks around the words "medically dangerous". Meaning the debate should be around what is considered "medically dangerous" for these players. If someone can prove with acceptable credibility that something is unsafe - heat/cold/elevation etc. then why should they be expected to play, was my point...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If Sep Blatter gets his way and the world cup rotates between continents it is only a matter of time before there is no choice but to play a tournament at altitude

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
Brazil are fine ones to talk though aren't they.

South America 1993 - Apart from Brazil that was allowed 2 cities to play at, they got drawn with Peru & Ecuador whos chosen cities were at altitude

They didn't like playing at altitude, so put pressure on them to change location (only ecuador did and got royally thumped)

Brazil, on the other hand, got booed by their own fans in the qualifiers in Rio & Sao Paulo & moved the final 3 games to another part of the country.....& qualified (Broke the rules)

Now Bolivia have chosen to MOVE their qualifiers to another city (be it at altitude) Brazil decide to complain...........

1 rule for one me thinks

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Cant we get Oldham to change as well as they have the highest altitude in England :angry: :angry: :angry:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Surely they should be allowed one of two things:
1 - stadia that have systems that control the flow of oxygen supply with closeable roofs and vulture-snipers.
2 - stadia built at least a mile into the ground that could equalise the equilibrium of opposing teams. Maybe at the roots of a mountain, all builders wary of those accursed, prickled south american hedgehogs we read of and they hear the music of, all carrying at least 7ft in height and human suffering in their you're-next faces.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
when I lived in Joburg, that was 6000 FT above sea level!

Do i take it the South Africans will be banned from playing there then as there is a WC about to be played.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Cant we get Oldham to change as well as they have the highest altitude in England :angry: :angry: :angry:

West Bromwich Albions ground is the highest above sea level in England

:jester:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I always thought that was West Brom's the Hawthorns?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you'll find it's the Hawthorns actually.

:jester:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In all fairness to FIFA, have you seen some of these high altitude pitches in La Paz;

Attachments

• soccerhill.jpg
    soccerhill.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 129

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tooting Gull said:
I think it's bollocks. In the same way that an away game in Russia in winter is a tough proposition, it's part of the game. And it hasn't exactly stopped Brazil and Argentina qualifying
I don't think Russia play at home in winter, do they? Certainly their domestic season is not on during winter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here