Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****Warwickshire v Sussex, Edgbaston, 20-23 July 2011, LVD1**** (merged)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Laurie Evans passes 50, looks set for a massive score, he's nailed on for a ton at least against our pitiful attack.

Sten, I obviously haven't been paying enough attention! I see Wells dropped Porterfield, early doors, but a very tough chance.

In other Sussex news...

SCCT: Generous Donation by Mushtaq Ahmed - News - SCCC Sussex County Cricket Club official website

Top work from Mushy.

We are suffering from exactly the same problem as last season - as soon as Bell and Trott go our batting is crap. Giles tried to strengthen the batting over the summer, and I think Porterfield was a great signing; but then he was let down by Younis Khan (who signed a 2 year contract after he'd be banned by Pakistan, but then decided he'd rather play for them than us when he was reinstated) and turned down by a couple of others (including Eoin Morgan). Yousef stepped in as overseas player for a bit, and did a decent job, and we have Chanderpaul arriving shortly, but in the meantime we are struggling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Loving the reverse psychology AGAIN! 133-4 - Laurie Evans jacknifed by Monty.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The man newly-arrived at the crease is none other than former England wicketkeeper and ex-Sussex man Tim Ambrose.

How and why did we ever let him go, leaving us with the joker incumbent gloveman Hodd? Hopefully Hodd will learn how to bat properly from this craftsman.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Pavilionaire on fire - 2 wickets for 5 posts.

Top work from Mushy.

We are suffering from exactly the same problem as last season - as soon as Bell and Trott go our batting is crap. Giles tried to strengthen the batting over the summer, and I think Porterfield was a great signing; but then he was let down by Younis Khan (who signed a 2 year contract after he'd be banned by Pakistan, but then decided he'd rather play for them than us when he was reinstated) and turned down by a couple of others (including Eoin Morgan). Yousef stepped in as overseas player for a bit, and did a decent job, and we have Chanderpaul arriving shortly, but in the meantime we are struggling.

I had no idea you supported Warks! Are you perhaps being a little unfair? The table says you are second in batting bonus points and you have yet to lose. Again, I haven't really paid a great deal of attention to Warwickshire.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And Troughton, with 2 runs off 26 balls. You just KNOW he's toying with us and will cut loose at any moment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Bears now comfortably in control. This partnership is nudging towards 100. Rain is our only hope of avoiding defeat.
2 minutes later:
Loving the reverse psychology. 117-3!

Laurie Evans passes 50, looks set for a massive score, he's nailed on for a ton at least against our pitiful attack.
4 minutes later:
Loving the reverse psychology AGAIN! 133-4 - Laurie Evans jacknifed by Monty.

It's working nicely

I had no idea you supported Warks! Are you perhaps being a little unfair? The table says you are second in batting bonus points and you have yet to lose. Again, I haven't really paid a great deal of attention to Warwickshire.

It's the county of my birth. It's only my dad's keen interest in football (and specifically BHAFC) that kept me from supporting Coventry or *shudder* Aston Villa.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of negativity when it comes to county cricket :lolol:

I probably am being unduly negative, but we started strongly last season as well, and as soon as Bell and Trott went we fell away horribly; in fact it was only Bell's injury (which then meant he had time playing for us at the business end of the season as he was recovering) which saved us from CC relegation, and he brilliantly captained us to the Pro40 title. Giles, while he's done a fantastic job, seems to like bits-and-pieces cricketers, that can field well and put together flighty 40/50s rather than big scores. Our team is jam-packed full of that kind of player. Chopra briefly looked like the exception to the rule, but has now reverted back to type.

A lot of money in recent years has gone on the redevelopment of Edgbaston; I'm hopeful that now that's been completed we'll start reaping the financial benefits and a bit more money can be spent on the playing squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The runs appear to have dried up. I haven't seen 4 maidens met with such stiff resistance since Thin Lizzy bumped into the Nolan Sisters backstage at Top Of The Tops 1978.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
my calculation is that this partnership has put on 35 from about 150 balls......yawn or what ? No wonder the county championship is dying on its arse in front of 3 men and a dog

my calculation is that this partnership has put on 35 from about 150 balls......yawn or what ? No wonder the county championship is dying on its arse in front of 3 men and a dog

It's the old reverse psychology striking again. I said that the Warks batsmen were only capable of flighty 50s so they set out to prove me wrong... although to be honest I'd prefer flighty 50s to dour 20s...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here