Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warney to retire after ashes

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gritt23 said:

if you mean Stuart Clark, he's also in his 30's as is Brett Lee..

I do. He's 31 but he's not express pace, if he lasts as long as McGrath, he's got another five or six years in him, I think the Aussies would settle for that.

...Watson looks pretty ordinary....

He's a good batsman but an ordinary looking bowler. However, Cooley is supposed to have worked wonders on him and he's a bit sharper now. The Aussie selectors certainly rate him and they generally know what they're about.

But the players they are about to lose are some of the best that have played the game. McGrath and Warne will take quite some replacing.

Aye, that's the rub. It's not just losing good players, it's losing a genius and a really, really world-class performer - any side would struggle after losing those two.

Based on past experiences they will probably replace them very effectively, but it's always an interesting time to watch. I'm sure the Windies always expected to replace their aging team in the mid-80's.

The Windies had problems though. There was a dwindling interest in cricket amongst youngsters and some great inter-board rows. And again, they had a genius in Richards who proved to be impossible to replace.

I'm sure that Australia will recover, but they won't be quite as awesome as they have been, particularly in bowling.
However, Ponting, Hussey and Clarke is going to be a formidable middle order for some years yet.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
great bowler.
great bloke.
even if he is aussie.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here