Warney to retire after ashes

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Thank f*** for that :)

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think he's a top bloke. Obviously I hate him when we're playing them, but I think if you had a beer with him you'd have a right laugh.

He should've been English.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Barrel of Fun said:
I will also enjoy seeing him back in England winning.....nothing with Hampshire.
Only thing he did against Sussex last year was throw his toys out the pram and chain smoke on the balcony, dirty cheating druggie twattwattwattwat.

:)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sport needs players you love to hate, it seems a lifetime ago when he made his Ashes debut and bowled out Gatting pitching the ball twenty metres outside leg stump and spinning back and removing his wicket.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Gazwag said:
…his Ashes debut and bowled out Gatting pitching the ball twenty metres outside leg stump and spinning back and removing his wicket.

That ball's becoming ever more legendary with the mists of time. As far as I can recall, it pitched somewhere near third man, before turning through 565 degrees and coming 70 yards BACK UP THE PITCH, removing all three stumps in succession and leaving just the bails in midair. Awesome.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Warney.

Fantastic Bowling
Terrible Sledging
Follicularly Challenging
Serial Womanising
Pie Munching
Binge Drinking
Howzat Shouting

Record Breaker!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Great, great bloke - met him in Club Barcelona the night before Sussex played Hants in the B+H. Given that he was earning about £300,000 playing that season, he was very tolerant when one of the ugly thick slappers I was sitting with recognised him and asked him if his "hobby" was playing cricket...then he happily signed a fag packed of mine - he'd recently been done for smoking while endorsing nicotine patches. Greatest bowler ever.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Shame, although its been coming for some time... Can't keep the old dog going at International Test Match level for that long.... I hope he'll be around commentating and or playing county cricket for a while to come yet...

All round good bloke, parties hard and plays hard...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
tedebear said:
You know him personally?

Yeah iv'e met him a few times, my cousins play football for the team he supports in Melbourne.

He hangs around with Fraser Gehrig and Gehrig is a prize tosser, he's part of the St Kilda FC party boys culture.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Shame for England that we were in such a rush to get Down Under and give them a chance to regain the Ashes. 15 months, have two Ashes series ever been that close together?

If it had been next winter, then I wonder how many of their current side would have been able to hang around the extra 12 months? Warne, McGrath, Langer, Hayden are on on the verge of going, while only Michael Clarke is under 30. They face a mass exodus of players very soon, and it will be very interesting to see what talent they have coming through, because it's a long time since they've replaced that many players.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Tyrone Biggums said:
Luckily we have a very good replacement for Warney.

Bring on McGill. :clap:

Hmm, Staurt MacGill will be 36 in February!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gritt23 said:
Shame for England that we were in such a rush to get Down Under and give them a chance to regain the Ashes. 15 months, have two Ashes series ever been that close together?

If it had been next winter, then I wonder how many of their current side would have been able to hang around the extra 12 months? Warne, McGrath, Langer, Hayden are on on the verge of going, while only Michael Clarke is under 30. They face a mass exodus of players very soon, and it will be very interesting to see what talent they have coming through, because it's a long time since they've replaced that many players.

Jaques, Watson, Tait, Bracken and Johnson are all coming through. Hussey and Clark will be around for a few years and I believe that Ponting is still only 32. The Australian habit is to replace gradually so don't expect all the oldies to go at once.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gwylan said:
Jaques, Watson, Tait, Bracken and Johnson are all coming through. Hussey and Clark will be around for a few years and I believe that Ponting is still only 32. The Australian habit is to replace gradually so don't expect all the oldies to go at once.

I just would have expected it to have started by now. It's unlike them to have reached a stage of 10 out of 11 players are 30 and older. With Martyn gone during this series, Warne expected to go straight afterwards, I can't see Hayden, Langer or McGrath going another 12 months, so I think they will change 5 in the space of 12 months. That's pretty rapid for them.

Hussey is a superb find, but he's 30, I'm used to seeing players come into their side - such as when Ponting first broke in - and I'm looking at them being around for 10 years or more.

Michael Clarke I've already mentioned, but if you mean Stuart Clark, he's also in his 30's as is Brett Lee. The ponding of fast bowling tends to take it's toll in the 30's. Tait and Bracken don't look in the same class to me, and Watson looks pretty ordinary. I like the look of Johnson and Jacques though, they do impress me.

But the players they are about to lose are some of the best that have played the game. McGrath and Warne will take quite some replacing. If they were to lose most of your top 4 in the batting order in the same 12, then it will make for a difficult transition.

Based on past experiences they will probably replace them very effectively, but it's always an interesting time to watch. I'm sure the Windies always expected to replace their aging team in the mid-80's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here