Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Want to vote Lib Dem but won't

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What and Baker wasn't a national figure, every time I turned on the TV and listened to the radio that bufoon was on it. Liberal Democrat run Lewes District Council abused community charge money by using it to pay their solicitors etc. against Dick Knight et al and locked out Lewes taxpayers out of a council meeting specifically to discuss that fact and their continual objection to the stadium, how is that democracy? How is that giving the people what they want (see the page from the Argus in 1999 above)? How can they possibly deserve my vote.

Baker is a f!cking good MP, just a shame about the Falmer business.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What the LibDems did to us over Falmer was done at a local level and shouldn't be an indictment of their attitude in the rest of the country.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
its true we wouldnt have got the stadium without labour in power, but are we to hold on to our liberal hatred til we die irrespective of any other aspect of our life being affected by politics? Ive always tried to vote to keep the tories out and as labour is a complete nonstarter in our area theres only one real alternative.

Not sure what your point is, if I can paraphrase for you then...........we shouldn't bear an eternal grudge against the Liberals because of Baker and Bellotti as its essentially irrational.

Whatever we do though don't ever ever vote for the Tories?

Glad to see you are keeping hold of your objectivity during the election.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Baker is a f!cking good MP, just a shame about the Falmer business.

So you don't disagree with me then about LDC abusing council tax payers money to pay for solicitors fees, locking out Lewes tax payers from a meeting and flying completely in the face of a massive mandate from the vast majority in a referendum/plebecite.

And it does matter nationally because it shows the Lib Dems (as those individuals on LDC e.g De Vecchi etc represent them) when they have power in their true colurs. Actions speak louder than words.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They will get their comeuppance sooner than later.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So you don't disagree with me then about LDC abusing council tax payers money to pay for solicitors fees, locking out Lewes tax payers from a meeting and flying completely in the face of a massive mandate from the vast majority in a referendum/plebecite.

And it does matter nationally because it shows the Lib Dems (as those individuals on LDC e.g De Vecchi etc represent them) when they have power in their true colurs. Actions speak louder than words.

One thing - the Lib Dems on LDC and Norman Baker don't get on.

The fact that they both opposed Falmer shouldn't hide the fact that they can't really stand each other. Just as one small example of a for instance, did you ever seen them together on the same platform talking about that particular issue?

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Blimey, seems like I've created a bit of binfest:lolol:

Seriously though any Albion fan who votes Lib Dem and can't see the wider benefits (that were nearly destroyed) and that the stadium will bring not only locally but also politically needs their head testing. It is a fundamental reason for not voting for them in my book, the Lib Dem party as a whole should hang their head in shame, especially when they make out they are so 'local' in their policies. Bunch of liars and not a particularly good bunch of liars at that.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

The fact that they both opposed Falmer shouldn't hide the fact that they can't really stand each other. Just as one small example of a for instance, did you ever seen them together on the same platform talking about that particular issue?

I don't care whether they get on or not. Both opposed Falmer with a pathological and unnecessary hatred flying in the face of public opinion and in the process abusing council tax payers money, when Brighton and Sussex in general so needed this stadium. Because they thought this I don't like them and the party they stand for, so surprisingly enough they won't be getting my vote.

True.

I remember Baker making a very astute observation about Ann de Vecchi. Unfortunately, this never received a lot of publicity at the time.

A few years back, De Vecchi arranged for an e-mail message to be sent out to all Lib Dem members in Lewes constituency, telling them that membership of a bonfire society was incompatible with membership of the Lib Dems. Not a message that wins any friends in Lewes, of course.

Baker's comment on this?

... "What fuckwit wrote this nonsense?"

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Not sure what your point is, if I can paraphrase for you then...........we shouldn't bear an eternal grudge against the Liberals because of Baker and Bellotti as its essentially irrational.

Whatever we do though don't ever ever vote for the Tories?

Glad to see you are keeping hold of your objectivity during the election.

I didnt say it was irrational at all. I merely made the point that maybe there are just as important things in life other than the stadium protests that as an individual you may want to consider when voting.

I also dont care if you want to vote tory, thats entirely up to you, but for me personally I could never vote tory and as I said, if the labour vote is one man and his dog I have no other choice to make a difference as a voter than to vote liberal cos they are the only party in my catchment that could possibly win it. In reality they probably havent got a cat in hells chance of beating the tories either but you never know.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
True.

I remember Baker making a very astute observation about Ann de Vecchi. Unfortunately, this never received a lot of publicity at the time.

A few years back, De Vecchi arranged for an e-mail message to be sent out to all Lib Dem members in Lewes constituency, telling them that membership of a bonfire society was incompatible with membership of the Lib Dems. Not a message that wins any friends in Lewes, of course.

Baker's comment on this?

... "What fuckwit wrote this nonsense?"

:lolol:

Was that about Firle or all the Societies ?

Dandyman

In London village.
There are a few things more important than the stadium and Great Britain is one of them.

As I have even more experience than Lord Bracknell of living in a country being neutered by, in order, Attlee, Churchill, Eden, MacMillan, Home, Wilson, Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair and Brown, I really feel I have no alternative than to vote LibDem.

Having the slippery Nick Herbert and a no-hoper called Lunnon as the Tory and Labour candidates in my constituency makes the choice easier. I don't know what I'd do if I lived in Lewes.

Clem Attlee was the best PM this country has ever had. The Lib-Dems are only an option now because Labour have swung so far from what should be their core values.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't care whether they get on or not. Both opposed Falmer with a pathological and unnecessary hatred flying in the face of public opinion and in the process abusing council tax payers money, when Brighton and Sussex in general so needed this stadium. Because they thought this I don't like them and the party they stand for, so surprisingly enough they won't be getting my vote.

Both opposed Falmer, it's true.

But both didn't abuse council taxpayers' money. Only one did.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Both opposed Falmer, it's true.

But both didn't abuse council taxpayers' money. Only one did.

Regardless, it shows the Liberal Democrats in their true colours, it shows how they act when they have power. People should remember that if they intend to put an X next to the Liberal Democratic candidate in a fortnight.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Regardless, it shows the Liberal Democrats in their true colours, it shows how they act when they have power. People should remember that if they intend to put an X next to the Liberal Democratic candidate in a fortnight.

It show ONE council's behaviour - nothing about other LibDem councils, nor about other LibDems in Parliament.

Seeing as you know the LibDem's true colours (whatever that means), I assume you can furnish us with accounts of other LibDem councils or MPs being equally non-liberal, anti-democratic.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
It show ONE council's behaviour - nothing about other LibDem councils, nor about other LibDems in Parliament.

Seeing as you know the LibDem's true colours (whatever that means), I assume you can furnish us with accounts of other LibDem councils or MPs being equally non-liberal, anti-democratic.

Look I know of no other Tory or Labour council or MP's locally that have acted like the Lib Dem Lewes council or Norman Baker or David Belloti, and their actions have massively effected Brighton (&HA) FC and thereby me as I support Brighton. If you want to vote Lib Dem you can, I most definitely will not nor will ever again.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The Lib Dem candidate for our area came to my house during the last election and I told her my thoughts, she told me she was'nt against the stadium but when I checked the list of local prospective MP's opposed to it, it turned out she was. She told me this bare faced lie in my kitchen :rant:

Was that Marina "Page 3" Pepper? I've been told that she's no longer a LibDem; neither apparently is David Neighbour, former Chair of LDC Planning Committee, who led the arguments for the alternative Toads Hole site.

I think the LD's have drawn a line under the whole issue, whilst the Tories have conveniently "forgotten" that they stood alongside the LD's in LDC against Falmer.:rolleyes:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This is the real question I need to resolve.

I would vote LibDem on their current performance, but can I forgive Baker etc.?

My local LD candidate is Elgood, who was allegedly openly pro-stadium. But was this just words? Equally, is it fair he should carry the can for the actions of Baker and his dinner party cronies?

No Elgood did campaign for Falmer publicly at an LD conference, but on the other hand he seems to think that Gay Rights are more important than anything else.

Hence I suspect that LD's have only 2 seats out of nearly 50 on Brighton Council.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here