Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wales vs South Africa World Cup semi final

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sadly it's very common that, though the worst outbreak of it I've ever seen was during Euro 2016. That was deeply disturbing. For example, there's a bloke who drinks in a pub I frequent and although we're not really acquainted, to this day I can never forget the fact he was wearing a Wales football shirt on the day of the England game because his Mother was apparently born somewhere-or-other in Wales whenever I see him still.

My dislike of the Welsh came from conversations I used to have about rugby in the years that the Welsh weren’t very good. He wasn’t that interested in rugby and moved the conversation on. Once they won another grand slam it appears he had a drawer full of Welsh shirts which he then proceeded to wear at every opportunity and try and engage in conversations about how good the Welsh were and how much better than the English. It was a long time ago but from that my ABW mentality kicked in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My dislike of the Welsh came from conversations I used to have about rugby in the years that the Welsh weren’t very good. He wasn’t that interested in rugby and moved the conversation on. Once they won another grand slam it appears he had a drawer full of Welsh shirts which he then proceeded to wear at every opportunity and try and engage in conversations about how good the Welsh were and how much better than the English. It was a long time ago but from that my ABW mentality kicked in.

I worked with a Welsh supporter for years (he'd lived in SE England his entire life, but his Dad was Welsh). God he loved any England rugby setback, a bit obsessive.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

So, correct me if I have it wrong, your 'dislike of the Welsh' is formed on the basis of conversations you had with one glory hunter many years back ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So, correct me if I have it wrong, your 'dislike of the Welsh' is formed on the basis of conversations you had with one glory hunter many years back ?

Yep, that’s where it started, there have been plenty of incidences since to strengthen that feeling. Are you OK with that, pathetic as you may see it to be?

Max Boyce didn’t help either :smile:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't watch but if, as suggested, SA were playing attrition rugby don't expect an open final. They'll try to wear England down and make an ugly game of it.

The Saffers do play an ugly game. That's why I was hoping for Wales.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep, that’s where it started, there have been plenty of incidences since to strengthen that feeling. Are you OK with that, pathetic as you may see it to be?

Max Boyce didn’t help either :smile:

It's neither here nor there whether I'm okay with it, it just seems a little irrational.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If England and South Africa both play to a similar standard next week as they have in their respective semis, England will be out of sight by half time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bad day yesterday for rugby following Cardiff City fans.

:sheep:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If England and South Africa both play to a similar standard next week as they have in their respective semis, England will be out of sight by half time.
I know, that's what worries me. There is no way SA can play that badly again, and I'm not sure England can play that well again either. Could easily see us getting sucked into playing a power game which I don't think we'll win. However I trust Eddie Jones to stop that from happening.

Oh, and I was supporting Wales, the same way as I always support any NH team against a SH one. I don't care if it isn't reciprocated; as far as I'm concerned people can support whoever they want and for whatever reason they want.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I know, that's what worries me. There is no way SA can play that badly again, and I'm not sure England can play that well again either. Could easily see us getting sucked into playing a power game which I don't think we'll win. However I trust Eddie Jones to stop that from happening.

Oh, and I was supporting Wales, the same way as I always support any NH team against a SH one. I don't care if it isn't reciprocated; as far as I'm concerned people can support whoever they want and for whatever reason they want.

I’d rather we’d lost to NZ than get beaten in the final by Wales and so I would much rather lose to SA in the final than have let Wales have the opportunity.

“Relaxed”

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’d rather we’d lost to NZ than get beaten in the final by Wales and so I would much rather lose to SA in the final than have let Wales have the opportunity.

“Relaxed”

This.

The fallout if Wales had turned us over in the Final would have reached almost scouse-levels of utter insufferability. Forever.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Totally agree. If SA kick the ball high into the sky at every breakdown England have the power to run it back at them. Wasn't expecting a heap from Wales but thought SA were better than that. If they play through the forwards iaw SA tradition it will be a very close game. If they kick away possession to England all the time they will get stuffed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here