Jul 7, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Anyway who said youth has no fear?

Gary Glitter's defence lawyer?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Les Biehn said:
Another point is people keep banging on about how Wenger knows it all. Well if this is true and Wenger doesn't think he is ready for his Premiership debut who is he ready for the world cup?

The answer is quite simple - 'Thierry Henry'.
Walcott and Henry are similar players and you are not going leave out or bring off one of the best players in the world out of the team at Arse end of the season in favour of a 17 year old when there is so much up for grabs. You are also not going to play the same types of players up front together.

The point that people seem to be missing is that Sven has picked a squad of players to fit into a particular system. Wallcott is obviuosly the type of player that is needed to do the job Sven requires. Also - we are not talking about the first XI here. He is probally been picked to be brought on with 30mins to go or incase there is an injury.

He has made the substitutes bench for Arsenal and with the quality of players they have got that in itself is an acheivement. Do you think that Jermaine Defoe or Andy Johnson would get a game for Arsenal? - I doubt it very much.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, cos that Adebayor is brilliant isn't he?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Les Biehn said:
I usually find myself agreeing with you DJ Leon but on this occasion I have to say I think Sven has got it wrong. If you look at the bare facts, Bent: Scoring goals for fun against Prem defences, seems to be being judged on one international appearance, Walcott: Didn't score goals for fun against Championship defences, has been put in despite making no international apperances. It basically says to players, play as well as you like but if some massively hyped 17yr old's manager rates him he will get in ahead of you. Don't get me wrong I am not dismissing Walcott, he has shown in flashes that he could become a very good player. But at the moment it is still very much in the 'could' category.

Well, I don't disagree with you. Sven has said it's a risk, so the decision will either be proven to be a poor one or a great one. The proof will be in the World Cup pudding.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Pavilionaire said:
Yeah, cos that Adebayor is brilliant isn't he?

Well he top scored in the a African group for world cup qualification (ahead of Eto, Drogba etc) so he cant be that bad!
Like I have said it is Horses for Courses - Adebayor is Tall and good in the air and gives Arsenal an option that they havent had for a while. Walcott is the same type of player as Henry so obviously Henry will get into the team ahead of him.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
This point may be gash, I'm not even sure of it myself really. One of my thoughts however was that the Premiership is very tough and physical, Henry can handle that but Walcott isn't as big and physical as Henry. My feeling is that at the World Cup games are not as high tempo and as phsycial. Is it not more technical. I don't get the feeling people will try to knock him out of the game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Half Time Pies said:
The point that people seem to be missing is that Sven has picked a squad of players to fit into a particular system. Wallcott is obviuosly the type of player that is needed to do the job Sven requires.
How the f*** does SVEN know ? He's not seen him. He's not spoken to him. All he's done is heard about him.

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Easy 10 said:
How the f*** does SVEN know ? He's not seen him. He's not spoken to him. All he's done is heard about him.

Thats not true I believe that he has watched him train several times and spoken to him or more than one occasion. He said that he had been thinking about Walcott since January - February time so he has obviuosly done his homework on him.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
He's seen him train a couple of times. Don;t try and make out it is well researched. It's a punt. It may work out - it may not work out. But he clearly feels Theo is more likely to break down a top defence with his pace than Bent or Defoe. Time will tell.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dick Knights Mum said:
He's seen him train a couple of times. Don;t try and make out it is well researched. It's a punt. It may work out - it may not work out. But he clearly feels Theo is more likely to break down a top defence with his pace than Bent or Defoe. Time will tell.

But what I don't get is they are both quick to and if that was all we were looking for then why not take our best 100 metres runner?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Dick Knights Mum said:

Of course its a punt - hes not played at the top level. Like you said he is there to do a particular job and if it pays off then everyone will be licking Svens shoes.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Walcott's pace is on another level though. Matches Henry when Henry does his electric power run! Walcott his the technique and balance to control a football at that speed unlike a 100 meter runner and he has a good strike on him too.

Go to the utube online video thing. Some very good Walcott videos on there. A lot of em knicking my work at Saints TV!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Half Time Pies said:
He said that he had been thinking about Walcott since January - February time so he has obviously done his homework on him.

But the little fella was only born in March, he's still in nappies now. Sven saw the twinkle in his father's eye and promptly relegated Defoe to the standby position. World Class management there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Half Time Pies said:
Thats not true I believe that he has watched him train several times and spoken to him or more than one occasion. He said that he had been thinking about Walcott since January - February time so he has obviuosly done his homework on him.
He may have watched him train, but he has NEVER spoken to him. They interviewed Walcott on Sky Sports News and showed it last night. The interviewer asked Walcott if Sven had spoken to him, and the answer was "No, but I've seen him at the training ground a couple of times". So no, he's not even had so much as a conversation with him yet.

And "thinking about him since January/February" is hardly doing homework on him, is it. I bet he'd never even heard of him till Wenger bought him in January.

£4.5 million a year. Jesus.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Easy 10 said:
he has NEVER spoken to him.

don't see this as a relevent point. i doubt most managers have spoken to alot of foreigners they end up putting in offers for

i think walcott amongst 5 strikers would've been more acceptable but he's obviously got something special

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Everyone seems to be missing the point by going on about his pace, not long ago he was being out thought by the likes of Danny Shittu. So how will he cope against people like Nesta, Stam, Puyol, Thuram etc...

I just can't get my head around people defending it. What if Sven had picked Bardsley from Man Utd or Scott Sinclair from Chelsea or Phil Ifill from Spurs? All highly rated by their respective clubs, and indeed within the game. All have had experience at first team level, from the Prem to Lge 2. Yet I can't see people going along with them in the same way they have Walcott.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easy 10 said:

I have never seen or spoken to Adolf Hitler or Fred West, but, on balance, I don't think they are very nice people.

I think it would have made more sense to only pick two out of Downing, Lennon and Hargreaves, and take five strikers.

For me it has to be Defoe, Bent was playing for Ipswich against us only 12 months ago, and if anyone on NSC had suggested that Sven take him to the World Cup they would have been ridiculed non stop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here