Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Other

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I can only see 3 reasons why Sven would have picked Walcott,

1. Wenger wanted him to. The lad hasn't played so to keep Wenger's so called record of 'developing' young talent up and to keep the lads spirits up Wenger has exerted pressure for him to play.

2. Big Stevie M wanted him to. SM sees Walcott as part of his future squad and has asked Sven to take him at the expense of a more appropriate striker.

3. Sven is an even worse manager than I thought, going from one extreme (conservatism) to another (impulse selection).

What do ya reckon?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Maybe he thinks Walcott could be explosive and help us win us a World Cup. Maybe he doesn't think the same about Darren Bent.

Oct 25, 2003
6. theo is actually quite good, and sven thought that he could do a job

7. beckham made him, cos he's desperate to see whether the nickname theo "babies arm" walcott is accurate

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A lot of this has already been said, but my problem with Walcott being picked is not about the selection per se, but the context in which it was made.

To only pick four strikers when two of them are major doubts, and then to have the fourth as Walcott with everything we know (or don't know) about him seems insane.

If he was a fifth pick of five fit strikers, I could just about buy it. Because it is highly possible that in 10 years we'll all be looking back saying 'How was there even any discussion?' I think the kid will be dynamite soon. But in this squad we needed some more experienced cover up front first.

As for the decision, it's obviously Sven's decision.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
DJ Leon said:
Maybe he thinks Walcott could be explosive and help us win us a World Cup. Maybe he doesn't think the same about Darren Bent.

So you think it is a good idea to pick a player with no Premiership experience?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tooting Gull said:
A lot of this has already been said, but my problem with Walcott being picked is not about the selection per se, but the context in which it was made.

To only pick four strikers when two of them are major doubts, and then to have the fourth as Walcott with everything we know (or don't know) about him seems insane.

If he was a fifth pick of five fit strikers, I could just about buy it. Because it is highly possible that in 10 years we'll all be looking back saying 'How was there even any discussion?' I think the kid will be dynamite soon. But in this squad we needed some more experienced cover up front first.

As for the decision, it's obviously Sven's decision.
My thoughts exacty.

Essentially you're gambling on three out of your four strikers, and the other while effective is not really the sort of player you want to play from the start, and will never be prolific.

Although to me the fact he's picked a lot of midfielders and these 4 strikers suggest he's thinking about playing 4-5-1.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is a good chance that our World Cup strikeforce will be Crouch and Walcott with no one in reserve for injuries, suspensions or poor form. That is madness when you could have taken Defoe, Bent or Johnson.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Les Biehn said:

It might be a good idea, it might not, it's a gamble - as confessed by Sven himself. I think the idea is simple - he wants an impact player and he thinks Walcott, light on experience though he is, is that person. He obviously doens't think that Bent or Defoe can have the same kind of impact. Maybe the element of surprise is a factor.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Les Biehn said:

Most of the other nations have. Apart from the French team :jester:

I think if you are good then experience can mean very little. His pace is outstanding and he shows great composure. I am not convinced premiership experience is essential for Walcott. I think he will take the tournament by storm.

Mark my words Les. He will!

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Les Biehn said:

Who in the T&T team would get a deal in the Premiership bearing in mind they have players from Port Vale and Wrexham?

Whilst I appreciate this dosen't apply to Brazil etc, it means he can be played agianst poor opposition to see how he might get on.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
DJ Leon said:
It might be a good idea, it might not, it's a gamble - as confessed by Sven himself. I think the idea is simple - he wants an impact player and he thinks Walcott, light on experience though he is, is that person. He obviously doens't think that Bent or Defoe can have the same kind of impact. Maybe the element of surprise is a factor.

I usually find myself agreeing with you DJ Leon but on this occasion I have to say I think Sven has got it wrong. If you look at the bare facts, Bent: Scoring goals for fun against Prem defences, seems to be being judged on one international appearance, Walcott: Didn't score goals for fun against Championship defences, has been put in despite making no international apperances. It basically says to players, play as well as you like but if some massively hyped 17yr old's manager rates him he will get in ahead of you. Don't get me wrong I am not dismissing Walcott, he has shown in flashes that he could become a very good player. But at the moment it is still very much in the 'could' category.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Walcott owns a ball.

"If you don't pick me, you're not having it"

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Hannibal smith said:
Who in the T&T team would get a deal in the Premiership bearing in mind they have players from Port Vale and Wrexham?

Whilst I appreciate this dosen't apply to Brazil etc, it means he can be played agianst poor opposition to see how he might get on.

Well we might as well pick a team of 17yr old potential stars and see how they get on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here