Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Votes for 16 year olds

alanfp

Feb 23, 2024
I understand that's one of Labour's ideas (sorry if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't see one).

Personally I'm not in favour, based on the fact that they have such little adult life experience (some won't even have taken their GCSEs) and they haven't been exposed to the breadth of political discussion that most of us only got in our first few years at work or during 'free periods' in the 6th Form.

Also, is there any robust evidence that they really are, on the whole, 'left-leaning'? (which seems to be the rationale behind the suggestion).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Conservatives are planning to introduce National Service for 18-21 year olds. I think it's only right that people who would have to do it, have a say in whether it should be implemented.

Even without that suggestion, if a government lasts five years, someone who's 16 will be an adult for three of those years. As Motogull suggests, perhaps there should be a maximum voting age, as they could be voting for something that won't affect them at all.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
I personally think it's ridiculous. Remembering back to being 16 I wouldn't have had a clue. I was more interested in football, girls and trying to get served in wine rack! Having fun as a 16 year old.
As a parent of 2 children now beyond 16, I wouldn't have seen them being ready to vote.
While there are no doubt children of 16 who get it, I'm confident many won't give a care to politics and don't have the life experience to make an informed choice. I was probably still politically niave into my early 20s.
Absolutely ridiculous policy, I see being in service being mentioned as an argument for dropping voting age, they can't be deployed until they are an adult at 18 years old.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
drink? nope. tatoo? nope. marry? not without parental consent. open a bank account, get or a phone contract? nope.

but think we should vote at 16. yep. i assume all these things and more will change for 16yo too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
“No taxation without representation” used to be a thing

16 year olds can work full time and pay income tax / NI as a result. Therefore they should get a say in how it’s spent.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I understand that's one of Labour's ideas (sorry if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't see one).

Personally I'm not in favour, based on the fact that they have such little adult life experience (some won't even have taken their GCSEs) and they haven't been exposed to the breadth of political discussion that most of us only got in our first few years at work or during 'free periods' in the 6th Form.

Also, is there any robust evidence that they really are, on the whole, 'left-leaning'? (which seems to be the rationale behind the suggestion).
Sorry, but that's a pile of shite.

The vote is allowed to all sorts of people who have limited life experience (and limited political nuance) too, many of which are in their 80s.

You've answered your own question. You don't want them to vote because you perceive them as being left wing. The reality of course being that most 16 year olds would have voted for Thatcher in 1979 because she offered them hope.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
“No taxation without representation” used to be a thing

16 year olds can work full time and pay income tax / NI as a result. Therefore they should get a say in how it’s spent.
it's an American thing, not sure was ever a view anywhere else.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I personally think it's ridiculous. Remembering back to being 16 I wouldn't have had a clue. I was more interested in football, girls and trying to get served in wine rack! Having fun as a 16 year old.
As a parent of 2 children now beyond 16, I wouldn't have seen them being ready to vote.
While there are no doubt children of 16 who get it, I'm confident many won't give a care to politics and don't have the life experience to make an informed choice. I was probably still politically niave into my early 20s.
Absolutely ridiculous policy, I see being in service being mentioned as an argument for dropping voting age, they can't be deployed until they are an adult at 18 years old.
So because you personally at 16 wouldn't have had a clue, 16 year olds today shouldn't be able to vote?

Makes sense.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m gonna say no (late 30s for reference).

My reasoning is 16 year olds are children in most aspects of the law (IMHO rightly - and I think the legal age of consent should be 18 too). Exceptions on a case by case basis should be made for crime.

I’m not suggesting more than a small majority of voters actually read the
manifestos of each party before voting.

What I will say is that one’s understanding of the world changes in the crucial years moving into adulthood from 16 to 18. I know my own personal views changed a lot.

If I had my way I’d RAISE the age to 21 to allow people to actually live a few years as an adult in the society provided by their government and then make a decision.

In my view it certainly shouldn’t be lowered.

Dec 29, 2011
Sounds like you still don't have a clue tbh

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You can join the Army at 16, why shouldn't you be able to vote at 16?
I disagree with this too. I think it’s absolutely disgraceful. Not to mention coaching into a military life at the top public schools from a very young age. Absolutely appalling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here