Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vokes and CMS

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Are we going to play 4-4-2 then??

I can certainly see CMS playing a David Villa type role, coming in off the flanks in a 4-3-3 - alongside Vokes and Buckley/Noone/Lua Lua (in any given game). Frankly he's spent enough time playing from that position due to his chasing anything in the final third - and against Cardiff and others he's created chances cutting inside from that position. Also, rarely does he get much change from CBs when the ball is played to him in the air.

However, with CMS making the runs in between full back and centre backs, in front of midfield and link-man has potential to be VERY DANGEROUS

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Not drooling yet but mildly excited and hopeful that they can develop a partnership.

Also glad to have someone that is more mobille and able to head a ball than Paynter.

Totally agree. I never felt Paynter would do a job for us but feel far more optimistic about Vokes who is younger and hopefully hungry to make a name for himself. Don't know if he is match fit so may not feature in the starting XI tomorrow but when he does play will be curious to see how Gus sets up the team and wonder who the fall guy will be - Barnes maybe?

I also feel that Hoskins needs a decent run in the side as and when he is fit, should CMS get rested or injured. I note one or two on here have written him off without him having a proper chance to show what he can do.

Finally CMS is good enough to regain his goal scoring touch so shouldn't panic just yet. Yes he missed one or two sitters but has also been unlucky of late with efforts that have only missed by a coat of paint. Considering the way we play he isn't getting the same service he enjoyed at Posh in League 1 so is never going to get 30+ goals a season in the Championship. Sooner or later his game will click and batter some team, hopefully starting tomorrow night. Would love to see him run rings around Gardner and McShane.

Either way I like seeing the competition among the forwards in our squad, can only be a good thing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sam Vokes could be the new Glenn Murray

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think/hope that he will be allowed to play closer to CMS in a way that Barnes - because he lacks the height and because he is needed to play wide and act as an additional defensive midfielder (a role Hoskins was also told to play when he came on as a sub recently) - could not do.

However that does mean a change in playing style - either a classic 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 that accomodates one of the front men acting in the wide defender role but restricts our attacking options in midfield.

Going to be interesting to see how it pans out but if Vokes isn't allowed to play close to CMS there seems to be little point in signing him so change (to the way we have been setting up) seems very likely.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This deal is win win for me. If he does well, we've already arranged a fee of around 500k to buy him at the end of the season. If it goes badly, we can send him back to Wolves!

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
In Vokes you have a great lad... Tbh he got sold from AFCB on the cheap, just cos we needed to pay the bills in administration... Should really have been with us for a couple of seasons after that for him to develop. Since then he has done the usual 'out on loan' thing and never really established himself anywhere...

Think now is his time :) Good luck to you and him...

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
In Vokes you have a great lad... Tbh he got sold from AFCB on the cheap, just cos we needed to pay the bills in administration... Should really have been with us for a couple of seasons after that for him to develop. Since then he has done the usual 'out on loan' thing and never really established himself anywhere...

Think now is his time :) Good luck to you and him...
He is now at the right club, I have no doubt he will be a massive success and will prove to be a bargain at 500k

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I think/hope that he will be allowed to play closer to CMS in a way that Barnes - because he lacks the height and because he is needed to play wide and act as an additional defensive midfielder (a role Hoskins was also told to play when he came on as a sub recently) - could not do.

However that does mean a change in playing style - either a classic 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 that accomodates one of the front men acting in the wide defender role but restricts our attacking options in midfield.

Going to be interesting to see how it pans out but if Vokes isn't allowed to play close to CMS there seems to be little point in signing him so change (to the way we have been setting up) seems very likely.

Gus seemed to alude to this in his interview, said he gives us options & may mean a change in the way set up

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Got a semi at the moment but reckon that I could become engrossed in the ladies tennis final tomorrow night if things go well!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think he will start tomorrow. Palace would have had scouts watching us and will think they have it all worked out, as we are quite predictable, or have been. Gus will change the system tomorrow if not the style of play, take Palace by surprise and walk away with a nice 1-3...Oh I can see it now, happy days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is mouth watering in my view, can't wait to see them paired up in a 4-4-2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here