Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virus Protection

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
What would anyone recommend as the best virus protection, preferably for free as my Norton subscription is expiring soon and i cba to renew it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Always done Norton and it has been fine

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have always done Norton too, but mine has just run out so I need a quick replacement.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
As above AVG is one of the best out there and is free.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
AOL are doing a free anti-virus program.

Its getting some excellent reviews.
It blocks just about all types of internet nasties, viruses, spyware, ads, malware, trojans, rootkits etc.
And it updates itself regularly (several times a day).
Apparently it is free for 12 months, then you have to re-register. Its not clear yet whether AOL will keep it free for the second year - but they may well.

But at least you will get it free for now.

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Superphil said:
When will they start charging for it?

From the register.co.uk....

AVG anti-virus stays free (true)
Pop-up confusion
By John Leyden → More by this author
Published Tuesday 21st November 2006 15:42 GMT
Receive the days biggest stories by email

Users of a free version of GRISoft's AVG anti-virus software have begun receiving pop-up messages this week warning that their package would no longer be supported from 15 January.

This prompted concerns among a number of Reg readers that GRISoft was ditching the free version of its security software. Actually, the firm is simply encouraging users to upgrade from AVG Free version 7.1 to AVG Free version 7.5, which boasts improved performance and compatibility with Windows Vista.

A spokesman for GRISoft confirmed that the firm had no plans to ditch its line of free software, while stressing users would enjoy improved support with the paid-for version of the software.

"Users should be presented with a dialogue which explains their options," a GRISoft spokesman said. He conceded that, judging by the handful of responses we've received, this dialogue box was perhaps not as clear as it might have been. ®

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
If you are willing to pay for one, then Nod32 is winning awards all over the place (and has been for years).

Its regarded by many in the industry as the best there is.

http://www.eset.com/

Even though it is Australian
:lolol:

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Slightly off topic-ish. But can someone help me?
I think my Antivirus has vanished.
I had a little Sophos logo on the bottom right hand of my screen with all the other logos this morning. It's gone now.
Please help before my computer catches VD.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Started having probs with AVG a few months ago and shifted to Avast (also free).

No probs since.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
ginadim said:
Slightly off topic-ish. But can someone help me?
I think my Antivirus has vanished.
I had a little Sophos logo on the bottom right hand of my screen with all the other logos this morning. It's gone now.
Please help before my computer catches VD.
Can you just re-install it

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Woodchip said:
McAffee for me. Too many programs confilct with Norton, and AVG isn't going to be free for much longer.

Oh yes it is! :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here