Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo Adams Love In Part 20

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Virgo: The players are to blame
8:50am Monday 16th February 2009

By Andy Naylor »

ADAM Virgo insists the players are to blame, not the boss, for the latest home setback which has dropped Albion back into the relegation zone.

Micky Adams kept faith with the team beaten 4-2 by Peterborough at Withdean last Tuesday for Saturday’s game against Carlisle.

His loyalty backfired as more poor defending from two set pieces in the first half sentenced the Seagulls to a 2-0 defeat, their sixth out of seven at home in the league.

Virgo said: “I take responsibility for my performance on Saturday and in the last couple of games, I haven’t been good enough.

“It is the same for everyone. When everything goes well it is all hunky dory and the players get the credit. When it goes against you it is unfortunate that the manager gets the stick.

“It’s not that everyone isn’t giving 100 per cent. What I am saying is that sometimes it isn’t quite good enough.

“I’ll hold my hands up for the second goal. It was me marking the man, not Micky Adams or Dean White or anyone like that. I just wasn’t tight enough and he scored from it.

“Teams are not scoring great goals against us. I don’t think we have conceded many screamers. That is not the manager’s fault, it is the players’ fault.

“The manager will get the stick, I know he will. It is easy for the players to hide but it’s the players’fault that we lost. The manager kept the faith in the same team to go out there and get the three points.”

Albion go to Luton tomorrow night in the southern final second leg of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, with the teams locked at 0-0 after the first leg.

Virgo said: “We are 90 minutes away from Wembley. Having got this far in the competition we don’t want to lose.

“We have got to show why we are in the league above them. If we can win it would be fantastic for the club and hopefully a great boost for everyone.”

Virgo comes to the rescue of Adams AGAIN. Apparently none of it is his fault. This is silly now. Its getting like a Monty Python sketch.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No they are not.

Its down to tactics
Formation
Coaching
Wrong players in wrong postions etc

Oh whats the f***ing point, the apologists will say look at the bigger picture etc.

So basement football it is.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No one has ever confirmed if Virgo had a clause in his contract that he would be picked to start every game if fit. It was a rumour when he was signed and sounded plausible - if a bit stupid. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps the Adams out brigade should let off of Adams a little and take note of what Adam Virgo has said and put the blame where it lies at the feet of the players.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Perhaps the Adams out brigade should let off of Adams a little and take note of what Adam Virgo has said and put the blame where it lies at the feet of the players.

You can blame the players a bit, but as I said before, what can you expect when

Virgo playing at right back - OUT OF POSITION
El Abd playing in centre midfield - OUT OF POSITION
Forster, 20 years a striker on the right wing - OUT OF POSITION
Andrew big centre forward playing on the left wing - OUT OF POSITION
Championship and FA cup finalist on the bench sitting next to a World Cup finals player

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

if the players aren't performing, then it is up to the manager to drop them - something that, especially in the case of virgo, adams just doesnt do

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Come on everyone, time for some sense here, everyone KNOWS it's the fault of the BAD FANS...

That's the OFFICIAL party line.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You can blame the players a bit, but as I said before, what can you expect when

Virgo playing at right back - OUT OF POSITION
El Abd playing in centre midfield - OUT OF POSITION
Forster, 20 years a striker on the right wing - OUT OF POSITION
Andrew big centre forward playing on the left wing - OUT OF POSITION
Championship and FA cup finalist on the bench sitting next to a World Cup finals player

1. Whing was injured and Virgo or El Abd was the next best choice.
2. Every team needs a holding/defensive midfield player and El Abd has done that job well also acting as an extra defender.
3. I will agree that one ridiculous decision.
4. Having nothing on the bench to come on and attack Carlisle he performed well in that position for the 2nd half.
5. Livermore played in the cup final a couple of years ago anmd last season despite what everybody says about the championship and Hull, he didnt get a new contract with Hull because he played insufficent games and spent time on loan at Oldham, in our division.
6. If you had a pair of boots you could be in the T & T World Cup Squad, although I think he could be the creative midfielder that we are missing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I blame Virgo and Adams.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
1. Whing was injured and Virgo or El Abd was the next best choice.
2. Every team needs a holding/defensive midfield player and El Abd has done that job well also acting as an extra defender.
3. I will agree that one ridiculous decision.
4. Having nothing on the bench to come on and attack Carlisle he performed well in that position for the 2nd half.
5. Livermore played in the cup final a couple of years ago anmd last season despite what everybody says about the championship and Hull, he didnt get a new contract with Hull because he played insufficent games and spent time on loan at Oldham, in our division.
6. If you had a pair of boots you could be in the T & T World Cup Squad, although I think he could be the creative midfielder that we are missing.

1. Virgo has been SKINNED in recent weeks at right back. Play El Abd there.
2. El Abd is NOT a League 1 midfielder. Livermore is. Go figure.
3. Forster on the wing is stupid, we all agree on that one.
4. Other than Dean 'plays LEFT WING' Cox you mean?
5. Livermore is better and more experienced than most of our central midfield options. Adams signed him. His lack of games is BAFFLING.
6. Birchall can cross a hundred times better than Carole. Something we need to Andrew and Davies in the middle.
7. You clearly have not got a RUDDY clue...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
5. Livermore is better and more experienced than most of our central midfield options. Adams signed him. His lack of games is BAFFLING.
6. Birchall can cross a hundred times better than Carole. Something we need to Andrew and Davies in the middle.

Do not bother, he clearly watches the games in a parallel universe.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Not if you have wealthy parents who can pay for your place and keep you out, even though you may be a better player. This being Fraser being selected over Birchall as has been suggested in another thread!

We didn't need new midfielders!! - North Stand Chat post 7

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Is it just coincidence that Carlisle have made a marked improvment since their disastrous run earlier in the season? Now what was it they did again?? Hmmmmmmm...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think Adam's got a point here, I mean clearly they are a well drilled, well organised unit, cohesive, with a clear game plan in mind and strong leadership from the touchline.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I. Virgo had a bad game against Peterborough who had the best player in the division against him and he received no back up service from right midfield because it didnt exist unlike when he played right midfield he helped out Whing. I would agree that in the absence of Whing, El Abd would be a better option at right back because we need Virgo in the centre of the defence.
2. To be a div 1 destroyer you do not need a lot of ball skill more to do with tackling ability and stopping other players playing, which is what he is able to do quite effectively.
3. Agreed
4. Dean Cox hasnt exactly excelled when he has come on and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired unless you want the ball to go to their first defender.
5. Livermore was a championship player but like all players time waits for no man so perhaps he hasnt shown in training to be up to the task anymore. I dont know as I havent seen him in training but would like to see him in given a try in the first team.
6. I would agree with Birchall but believe he should be in the centre of midfield where he has played most of his career but I wouldnt go into raptures over the fact that he plays for T & T although I do believe that he is good enough for a regular place in our side and that he could be the creative midfielder we need with his little touches.
7. You are obviously an expert and have all the coaching badges and managerial experience etc.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton

I. Virgo had a bad game against Peterborough who had the best player in the division against him and he received no back up service from right midfield because it didnt exist unlike when he played right midfield he helped out Whing. I would agree that in the absence of Whing, El Abd would be a better option at right back because we need Virgo in the centre of the defence.
2. To be a div 1 destroyer you do not need a lot of ball skill more to do with tackling ability and stopping other players playing, which is what he is able to do quite effectively.
3. Agreed
4. Dean Cox hasnt exactly excelled when he has come on and his crossing leaves a lot to be desired unless you want the ball to go to their first defender.
5. Livermore was a championship player but like all players time waits for no man so perhaps he hasnt shown in training to be up to the task anymore. I dont know as I havent seen him in training but would like to see him in given a try in the first team.
6. I would agree with Birchall but believe he should be in the centre of midfield where he has played most of his career but I wouldnt go into raptures over the fact that he plays for T & T although I do believe that he is good enough for a regular place in our side and that he could be the creative midfielder we need with his little touches.
7. You are obviously an expert and have all the coaching badges and managerial experience etc.

1) It wasn't only George Boyd that has got the better of Virgo this season, every time he's been right back he has performed fairly poorly.
Took another 30 minutes and another loss for Adams to see it...

2) I like El-Abd and think he does get some harsh abuse. But the fact remains he is not good enough to be an automatic starter in central midfield. He is a good squad player but his positional sense isn't good enough. He gets caught chasing after the ball and falling flat on his arse, which is not what we want from our defensive midfielders...

3) Forster right wing. Don't get me started.

4) Whether Dean Cox is good enough or not, there was no doubt that we needed some substitutes on with 30 minutes to go. To just sit there and accept defeat isn't good enough from MA.

5) I haven't seen Livermore enough to make too much of a comment but people are saying that he can't be that good because he only played 24 times for a team that got promoted to prem. Erm let's think about that one for a second. How many other players in our team are good enough to start even 1 or 2 games for a promotion pushing championship side? Not very many, possibly none.

6) Birchall looked very good against Hartlepool. Why he was subbed off I will never know. Fair enough he had jet lag so couldn't start but he should definately have come on. Caroles crossing was getting worse and worse and he was exactly what we needed...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
4. I thought that Calvin Andrew did well on the left of midfield in fact better than Cox would probably have done. My regret was that McLeod wasnt there to put some crosses into the front men.
5. I can only assume that he hasnt shown up to well in training.
6. I like Birchall and would have brought him on for Carole also.

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
From what i could see ( which lets be honest, wasn't too much)

12) a 30 yr old cripple & a 35 yr old veteran completly dominated your midfield
13) 2 goals from 2 set pieces...inexcusable really
14) suprisingly virgo was NOT to blame for either of them...
15) was suprised that Adams didn't try something different in the 2nd half...
16) Our 17...Cleveland taylor only knows one way..forward... he really can't defend yet carole couldn't beat him...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here