virgin v sky

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
off tomorrow I think

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
think someone on her said they had till 11 tonite to sort it out,gonna miss my dream team:nono:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sky will not back down, Virgin will heomarage customers according to some bloke on bloomberg an hour or so ago.

Yeah I think they will agree a deal last-minute... up to now it has just been gamesmanship from both sides.

Sky - "we want double!"
Virgin - "we sold you our stuff for less than before!"
Sky - "tough shit. we want double"
Virgin - "fine. sod off then"
Sky - "we'll scare all your customers by saying we are going to pull the channels"
Virgin - "fine. see if i care. we don't need your poxy channels anyway."

Sky announce they are pulling the channels.
Virgin annouce that they don't need the Sky channels, and that Sky are meanies who took their ball home and refused to play.

Then around 9:30 tonight, both realise they will be worse off, so come to an agreement.

Or something like that. :jester:

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
I'm watching the 7.00 Simpsons right now, I do hope its not the last time ..

ps OFF COURSE Ive seen it before !!!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Is there a summary anywhere of what exactly is happening? I missed the story last week

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
basically as of tonight for all ntl/virgin media customers they wont have Sky One/Sky Two/Sky Three, Sky Sports news or Sky News anymore due to Sky being ****s etc

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
They have untill midnight tonight

Deadline looms for Virgin-BSkyB

Virgin Media has accused BSkyB of "bullying" and "arrogance"
The deadline is approaching for Virgin Media and BSkyB to resolve their acrimonious row over TV rights.
The broadcasters have until midnight on Wednesday to reach a deal which would allow cable company Virgin Media to continue showing basic Sky channels.

If the sides fail to reach agreement, Virgin Media customers will lose access to BSkyB channels, including Sky One.

Virgin Media has accused BSkyB of raising its prices too much, but BSkyB has said the higher fees are justified.

Talks between the sides broke down last week, with Virgin Media - which was formed from the merger of cable TV firm NTL and Virgin Mobile - accusing BSkyB of "bullying" and "arrogance".

Virgin Media said it was prepared to drop the Sky Basics TV package, which also includes Sky News, Sky Travel and Sky Sports News, if agreement on a new contract to replace its current one could not be reached.

Sky One includes popular series such as 24 and Lost, as well as new episodes of The Simpsons.

'Equitable solution'

With less than 12 hours before our existing agreement expires, Virgin Media has declined to re-enter talks

BSkyB spokesman

Q&A: Virgin and Sky spat

Virgin Media earlier called for BSkyB bosses to enter into arbitration talks with it in an effort to settle the dispute.

"We are sorry that Sky once again rejected our offer of binding independent arbitration to find a fair and equitable solution that works for consumers," a spokesman for the firm said.

However, a BSkyB spokesman countered: "With less than 12 hours before our existing agreement expires, Virgin Media has declined to re-enter talks and is now seeking to reopen existing agreements."

HAVE YOUR SAY
I thought this squabble between two billionaires wouldn't affect me, but how wrong I was

Ben Anderson, Cambridge

Send us your comments

The latest war of words between the two firms came as Virgin Media revealed that 37,000 customers had left the company during the final three months of 2006, before the firm's rebranding.

However, Virgin Media said revenues had remained ahead of expectations at £1.08bn ($2.1bn), from £916.1m a year ago on a pro-forma basis.

On Monday, the government ordered media regulator Ofcom to investigate BSkyB's controversial purchase of a 17.9% stake in ITV.

BSkyB's decision to buy into ITV was seen by some as an attempt to block a bid for the firm from its then rival NTL.

The government said it had asked the watchdog to advise on whether November's share deal was against the public interest.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Wouldn't fancy taking calls on this in the Virgin call centre! I once had to field calls from irate PENSIONERS becuase Turner Classic Movies was pulled from ntl.

"Oooh, but I like my old films! You should give me extra money every month now!"

yak yak yak

seagull-lad

Feb 2, 2006
Worthing
virgin customers dont get sky 2 or 3 anyway, so not much loss.

virgin has also just got the on demand rights for lost - so at least one problem resolved :)

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
seagull-lad said:
virgin customers dont get sky 2 or 3 anyway, so not much loss.

virgin has also just got the on demand rights for lost - so at least one problem resolved :)

We do have Sky 2.

Im not intrested in Lost (may rent it out to see what the fuss is about though)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
seven stands said:
you can get sky three, sky sports news and sky news on freeview anyway

thats going too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here