Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vincelot

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Great player who really has been underrated! Always wanted the ball and then pushed forward with it! Neat little purchase!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If you see a proper purge to 24-25 bodies, he's a must-have, because of the flexibility. How many different positions did Paul Reid play by the time he left?

Exactly! Not playing in his natural position played 10x better than Painter, good at coming forward. Many on here were saying we should release him, league 1 player etc. I hope they can now see that he is a great utility player who can play almost anywhere very competently.

Agree.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I thought he looked good when going forward last night but a bit weak when defending especially in terms of positioning.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I think he is solid player and can hold his own in the championship. Can play in many different positions across the pitch, he is defiantly one to keep for next season. Needs some more playing time!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that he will be kept as Mr Versatility provided he accepts that he may not be in the team every week and doesn't go running to Gus to go out on loan.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I thought he looked good when going forward last night but a bit weak when defending especially in terms of positioning.
Yes decent when attacking but not who you want at left back when we are under pressure playing away if we have play-off expectations next season. He has been inconsistent this year, the good followed by the ordinary. That said and given his goalscoring potential and versatility I am happy with him in the squad.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
I have always liked him. Can play anywhere in defence, and in the centre of midfield.
On the back of my away shirt too :bowdown:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings

So very Calderon like then, and seemingly the sort of roving full-back Gus wanted this season. If we're strong enough across the middle then the apparent weakness you describe isn't necessarily a problem. Especially with mobile centre-halfs like El-Abd shutting down gaps left by full-backs in support of an attack. Central players like Dicker and Sparrow (surprisingly given his championship experience) just don't seem to have been strong enough this season.

Painter at full-back has simply been too slow, seems to need a League One amount of time to find a shirt when in possession, and when without he ends up wrestling with the man bearing down on him due to lack of pace. The reason Vincelot looks a better option is that he has the upper body strength to hold off markers and complete a pass quickly when it's on, and hold onto the ball when it's not. An attribute missing all over the park of late from a few key Albion players. Having spoken to Romain on our table at the kit sponsors dinner it was clear that he was gutted not to have played a fuller part this season. Hope he stays on.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Was a tremendous performance to slot straight into the team after not playing for so long and look so comfortable. Class act.

He is always going to suffer the "utility man" curse though in that he'll struggle to hold down a regular position because he can be moved across anywhere

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He did himself justice last night that's for sure. He pulled off a bit of control late in the second by the dugout which was stunning. Versatile player.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
So very Calderon like then, and seemingly the sort of roving full-back Gus wanted this season. If we're strong enough across the middle then the apparent weakness you describe isn't necessarily a problem. Especially with mobile centre-halfs like El-Abd shutting down gaps left by full-backs in support of an attack. Central players like Dicker and Sparrow (surprisingly given his championship experience) just don't seem to have been strong enough this season.

Some good points there. El-Ald did cover him well last night and Vincelot then almost became the CB as Adam covered the wing.
As for not being strong enough that's something we certainly lack. A big unit like Nosworthy last night or a physical presence in the middle is certainly missing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here