Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vince Cable has his finger on the button apparently... (Merged)

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
So Vince is carrying a nuke in his briefcase.
Apparently one word from him and his resignation from the Cabinet could bring the Coalition down. I think David Cameron will see this as one of his problems in Cabinet on the way out. You can’t say one thing in public and something else privately and be part of collective responsibility. His leak that the Government is looking at cancelling winter fuel payments is likely to be a bit of a hot potato though given that we are presently going through one of the worst cold snaps ever and the effect this would have on our senior citizens would be extremely adverse.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If this had been the News of the World, everyone would have been up in arms about 'honeytrap journalism'. It's a great story, but it's incredible how the Telegraph have basically aped the Screws, and yet somehow it is deemed more respectable for them.

As Pavilionaire says, the agenda is obvious from the Telegraph, they want a Tory majority. Cameron may be privately delighted, but I do wonder if there was another election tomorrow whether the Conservatives would do better. They could easily do worse. A lot of Labour/Libdem waverers are never going to vote for Clegg's lot again, and they'll vote Labour next time.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Straight swop here i reckon Cable out & Laws in. As to next years local election where A/V will be voted on before the tuiton fees shambles i felt the Lib/Dems would win a change to the voting system,can't see that happening now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Loving this.

More to come apparently....

Can I be first to coin the phrase "vinnie-leaks"

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
This true and it may be that those seen as being outside the coalition have better chances. I can certainly see Simon Hughes surviving in Bermondsey and I bet Charlie Kennedy stays on but I don't fancy Nick Clegg or Danny Alexander's chances - unless they change seats.

Not sure - Clegg represents the poshest part of Sheffield (yes, there is a bit; Crookes, Fulwood, Dore, Totley, all in the same area), which used to be staunchly Tory. I can't see that area falling to Labour and the type of professional living in that area is not likely to go back to the Tories. Alexander apparently has a large personal vote in Inverness, but I can see quite a lot of Lib Dems in marginals falling; Eastbourne's Labour support in Hampden Park may re-emerge, also in places such as Cheltenham, Taunton, etc. Lib Dem success in these areas is largely based on squeezing Labour support down to virtually nothing: Ed will tell you that Labour was once strong in Lewes for example (didn't Labour get 37% of the vote in Newhaven in the County Council election of 1985?). Northern and university-dominated seats they have won from Labour like Manchester Withington, Bristol West and Cardiff Central and Norwich South will probably go back to them. Of course, being a smaller party, splits show far more in the Lib Dems than in the other two. For example, Milliband and Johnson can't even agree on a policy for tuition fees and many Tories do not agree with Ken Clarke, but hardly anyone notices.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
This bloke has absolutely 0 credibility, how many people on here were lording him as the peoples hero, how wrong they were, spineless ****!!

I would hardly call him spineless for taking on Murdoch. Stupid, maybe, because its a fight he cannot win. Interesting that the decison regards Murdochs takeover of BSkyB now rests with a tory and not a Lib dem

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
More secretly recorded back stabbing from other Lib Dem MPs expected tomorrow.

Now officially libby-leaks.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Telegraph has f***ed up ethically if you ask me. Posing as constituents at a surgery is very questionable, especially as they probably prevented actual constituents from meeting with the MP over real problems

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure - Clegg represents the poshest part of Sheffield (yes, there is a bit; Crookes, Fulwood, Dore, Totley, all in the same area), which used to be staunchly Tory. I can't see that area falling to Labour and the type of professional living in that area is not likely to go back to the Tories. Alexander apparently has a large personal vote in Inverness, but I can see quite a lot of Lib Dems in marginals falling; Eastbourne's Labour support in Hampden Park may re-emerge, also in places such as Cheltenham, Taunton, etc. Lib Dem success in these areas is largely based on squeezing Labour support down to virtually nothing: Ed will tell you that Labour was once strong in Lewes for example (didn't Labour get 37% of the vote in Newhaven in the County Council election of 1985?). Northern and university-dominated seats they have won from Labour like Manchester Withington, Bristol West and Cardiff Central and Norwich South will probably go back to them. Of course, being a smaller party, splits show far more in the Lib Dems than in the other two. For example, Milliband and Johnson can't even agree on a policy for tuition fees and many Tories do not agree with Ken Clarke, but hardly anyone notices.

Maybe. But my point is that if you're an anti-Tory voter, then why vote Lib Dem which supports the Tory government. The reason I think that Hughes would be safe is that he picks up the anti-Labour vote in Bermondsey (he also gets a lot of people who would vote Labour but vote for Hughes because he's an excellent, hard-working MP). In Tory marginals, I'm not sure that's the case - there'll be people who won't vote LibDem again because of the coalition. That's my guess though, I think the next election will be fascinating.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Silly man. Calling a spade a spade there is no way ever, ever, EVER that you would have a Lib Dem party running this country. EVER.

It will always be Tory, Labour or a mix with some Lib Dems thrown in to make up the numbers like now.

Their only real chance of power (albeit limited), whats that we fans sing? 1-0 and you f***ed it up...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm trying to work out which party you mean by the Liars party?

probably all of them!

Well, this can't be down to the coalition as they haven't increased spending. Down to 'New' Labour, or should I say 'same old' Labour.

I assume you are joking?

I do wonder if Clegg now wishes he had gone the other way ,would have suited many replace Brown and the softer approach whereas now come the next election desolation for him and his party

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I do wonder if Clegg now wishes he had gone the other way ,would have suited many replace Brown and the softer approach whereas now come the next election desolation for him and his party

Would have depended on the SNP and Labour getting on with each other. As anyone who lives in Scotland could tell you, they hate each other's guts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here