Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Villa offer to trial return of terraces

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Piece in yesterdays Torygraph...could be interesting

Aston Villa offer to trial standing areas

Aston Villa have become the first Premier League club to publicly back a new campaign for trials of standing areas for fans in top-flight and Championship matches.
The campaign has been launched by the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) and with Birmingham MP Roger Godsiff. Aston Villa and Peterborough have both given their support to calls for the Government to allow "small-scale trials of safe standing areas" and have volunteered to host a trial.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We have had a number of good discussions and meetings with the FSF over the past 12 months and fully support their campaign to allow small-scale trials of safe standing areas at grounds.

"Whenever we have discussed the topic with our fans we've found almost unanimous support for such a trial, and the concept of giving fans the choice to decide to either sit or stand at a game.

"We believe Villa Park could be a potential venue for such a trial, and would like the opportunity to progress the plans further with the wider support of the football community in this country."

Godsiff has also submitted an early day motion to Parliament which "urges the Government to accept the case for introducing, on a trial basis, limited standing areas".

The trials would need a change in the Football Spectators Act 1989, brought in after the Hillsborough disaster.
Peter Daykin, Safe Standing Coordinator at the FSF, said: "For two decades since the Taylor Report, the overwhelming majority of football supporters have favoured a choice of standing and sitting at football, and fans continue to stand throughout all levels of the game today, even in the Premier League and Championship where it is against ground regulations and facilities are designed for sitting.

"Standing was outlawed on grounds of safety, and yet successive governments have agreed that standing is safe - it's hard not to when it is done perfectly safely every week at rugby grounds, lower league football grounds and in top football leagues all around the world."

Last year the Hillsborough Family Support Group opposed any move to bring back standing areas. HFSG spokesman Margaret Aspinall said then: "The Hillsborough Family Support Group are totally against any form of standing whatsoever. We are absolutely against it and always will be. Our football clubs should remain all-seater stadiums.

"People always say they have standing areas in Germany, but we don't play any part over what happens in that country - we just believe there's no such thing as safe standing in this country. We will not be encouraging the government to change the law." The Premier League and successive governments have until now also opposed any change

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Good news IMO.

It would mean that people have a proper and safe choice as to whether to sit or stand and enjoy the game as they prefer without winding up stewards or other fans.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Having standing areas in stadiums would improve safety. Every ground in the country has fans standing in seated areas every saturday, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The North & South ends have shallow rakes and have been widley criticized by away fans as too low,perhaps the powers that be were ITK,who knows Falmer could have a capacity 5 years from now of 42,000 with no major structural work required..

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes ,I'm for choice,and used to love terracing.Better atmosphere.Cheaper,then,too.

Now I'm an old fart,though officially not a twat,I have to sit because of failing health.So if people want to stand,good.

Please don't stand in front of me when I have to sit down is all.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Safe terracing should be allowed. Start to get entry level costs to football down.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I guess not everyone will want to stand but I think a trial of safe standing would be a good idea - albeit under very strictly controlled conditions. Somewhere like the Holte End at Villa Park would make sense - a big enough terrace to make the trial meaningful.

I can understand the Hillsborough Families finding the suggestion highly emotive but would point them towards the huge improvements in safety at sports grounds over the last 20 years plus the thousands who currently stand in defiance of all seater arrangements at many grounds up and down the country, including at Anfield. Ok they will argue that seating should be enforced by stewards but many fans would prefer to stand and I suspect that many fans would like to see one stand at each ground given over to safe seating so fans then have a choice. There would need to be strict control eg one ticket per standing space, as with seats.

Since the Hillsborough and Bradford disasters all stadia have safety certificates, there is more sophisticated management of crowds and emergency exits are much better defined. Maybe one or two marginal grounds might struggle to comply. Places like Fratton Park might even benefit from having standing areas where they had to squeeze in seating. Mind you Fratton Park would really be better off being bulldozed.

Surely it would make sense to test a proper safe standing terrace with the individual spaces for each spectator like in Germany rather than wait for a problem to occur because punters are standing in seated areas not designed for that?

Although cost should not be a factor in ensuring safety I'm not sure that any more fans would be accomodated on a standing terrace given the scale of the steel work that is installed to create each standing space so there may not be any cost benefits to the Clubs or fans?

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Pretty sure this was announced around the time we played Peterborough away last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here