Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Views on the town of reading!

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
What do you honestly think of reading

Just thinking and i have spent 16 years in reading and 14 years roughly in brighton,where of course born and bred,looking at it i have lived in whitehawk,moulscoombe and central brighton.

In reading i have lived in whitley for many years,tilehurst and now again the oxford road,so yeah pretty rough areas indeed:lolol:

My opion seriously is that reading is a bloody good town and and compact and although enjoy the rivalry i have many good friends here etc.The best thing here is that its modern and tidy in which makes it a good place to live and also the benefits of good paid jobs and easy motorway access.

It does baffle me sometimes when i hear many people going on about a plastic town although it is a commuter town.Is it so bad to move with the times and to be honest when i look back to say 10 year ago plus it was a shite hole and very boring and now its amazing how good a place it has become bar zero decent night clubs.

I love brighton as a place to as its thriving day in day out and has a great night life etc.Also my relatives also like reading when they visit.
I think its time brighton started to modernise and move on with the times as it rearly does need it fast.:drink: :drink: :drink: :)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Went to a couple of Reading Rock festivals there. Caversham is quite nice but other than that it's not the sort of place that springs to mind when planning a day out.:lolol: :lolol:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
True there isn't much to do here bar drinking:lolol:
Certainly not a day trip place,but pretty good shopping wise:rolleyes:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Bobby's Gull said:
Still think of it as an absolute shithole.
Why????

Places like wycombe rearly do irritate me as its a shambles of a place and full of shit,now thats a shite hole and slough:D

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
i was born in reading general, but we moved from yateley (where we lived at the time) when i was 1 so i the only memory i have of reading is the madjeski stadium recently, which is very nice.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
I have also noticed as deliver in wycombe and slough all the time and there is no crumpet whats so ever in wycombe from what i have seen unreal,in maybe 100 trips just seen a few worth bopping.:lolol:

I have come to the conclusion that places with a high amount of foreigners are dumps although hush it may sound.???

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
berkshire seagull said:

I think its time brighton started to modernise and move on with the times as it rearly does need it fast.:drink: :drink: :drink: :)

I don't understand what you mean by this.

what, in brighton, needs to be modernised in order to keep up with reading?

or were you referring to brighton fan's views on reading as opposed to the town of brighton itself?

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Re: Re: Views on the town of reading!

the full harris said:
I don't understand what you mean by this.

what, in brighton, needs to be modernised in order to keep up with reading?

or were you referring to brighton fan's views on reading as opposed to the town of brighton itself?
The point i was making is that all places need to move with the times and build new places etc,just think brighton has to many derelict buildings and seems pretty tatty looking if you catch my drift.

Although it has kept its tradition well just don't think much money is spent on the modernise side of things or is this just a city keeping its tradition mmmmmm.:smokin:

Oct 25, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Views on the town of reading!

berkshire seagull said:
The point i was making is that all places need to move with the times and build new places etc,just think brighton has to many derelict buildings and seems pretty tatty looking if you catch my drift.

Although it has kept its tradition well just don't think much money is spent on the modernise side of things or is this just a city keeping its tradition mmmmmm.:smokin:
i personally love brighton, up by where i live its nice and LEAFY, i live opposite a massive park that i wake up to every morning,
anyway,

yes parts of brighton are tatty. parts of london are tatty, parts of manchester are tatty, parts of birmingham are tatty, it's not like brighton is unique there.
most 'modern' buildings look pretty vile, i was in central reading on the way back from cardiff and its nothing special, a few decent bars but its not unique in the slightest.

in my eyes, i would only improve parts of the north laine area(which they are doing) and central brighton would be very nice(and get rid of all the slags down west street)

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Re: Re: Re: Re: Views on the town of reading!

tommy boy 86 said:
i personally love brighton, up by where i live its nice and LEAFY, i live opposite a massive park that i wake up to every morning,
anyway,

yes parts of brighton are tatty. parts of london are tatty, parts of manchester are tatty, parts of birmingham are tatty, it's not like brighton is unique there.
most 'modern' buildings look pretty vile, i was in central reading on the way back from cardiff and its nothing special, a few decent bars but its not unique in the slightest.

in my eyes, i would only improve parts of the north laine area(which they are doing) and central brighton would be very nice(and get rid of all the slags down west street)
Yes fair point and the clonclusion is simple reading like others simular is an industrial area as of which is why reading has changed this way.:drink:

Yes there is only a few decent pubs the rest are shite and it doesn't have one proper big night club.I thought cardiff was pretty good and surprised.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Bobby's Gull said:
No offence but I'd rather live in the gutter than there. I wish that place was part of Kent.

it is not as bad as people make out, but, as bobby's gull's post has shown, people make it out to be dreadfull.

Lived in Reading for 6 years now (1 year previously in bracknell - yuck!).

Have to say I only live here because I work on the Thames Valley Park estate at the end of the A329M so Reading is most convenient.

Have lived in Earley, Bath Road and now Coley Avenue (right by Castle Hill) and have to say (as a home owner here it's not a bad area...nice and close to the town bars and shops and close to work (albeit cross town traffic nighmare occasionally).

Have to say in the time I've lived in Reading it has improved no end and Brighton could learn a lot from what Reading have done to improve the town (on top of allowing a nice new stadium).

There are many bars and pubs around for all walks of life (trendy to traditional), lots of places for food, but IMHO not enough in the way of clubs. It seems late nights have a distinct lack of large cheesey nightclubs ala Event2, however the town is awash with great independant clubs...Fez, Po na na and the infamouse Puyrple Turtle late night bar.

Both towns have plusses and minuses and I have some great mates around here....however give me Brighton any day. I know when I leave my work I wiull eventually return to the promised lands in Sussex. :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
berkshire seagull said:
What do you honestly think of reading

Just thinking and i have spent 16 years in reading and 14 years roughly in brighton,where of course born and bred,looking at it i have lived in whitehawk,moulscoombe and central brighton.

Hmmm....lived in Moulsecoomb but didn't learn how to spell it. If I couldn't spell the name of the place that I'd lived in, I'd keep rather quiet about it rather than publicise the fact.

As for Reading, I'm spending the next weekend sampling the delights of the town as I shall be at WOMAD. I can't say I'm wild about the place, far too many modern developments for my liking and a town built for cars rather than for people.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
the full harris said:
it is not as bad as people make out, but, as bobby's gull's post has shown, people make it out to be dreadfull.

i was born and raised there and when i come back i have seen that the council are trying to make an effort to change the face of Hastings.

trouble is where do they hide all the work dogers and methadone useres?

Anyway readings great place to be modern towns have there place they are good to find your way round clean and have a good vibe about them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here