Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

View of a Reading fan

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I work with a guy who's a Reading fan who congratulated us on getting promotion, but commented:

Crap game to watch on television for the non-aligned footie fan.

Neither team would survive Div 1 based on Sunday's performance without some serious squad strengthening.

He's probably right. I was so involved in the tension and atmosphere on Sunday that I couldn't remember what the quality of the game was like. I asked my son who couldn't remember either. But we both knew that it wasn't a classic!

And he's right about needing to strengthen the team!

Great game, great atmosphere, wonderful day and everything on Sunday ......... BUT

If you compare the way we are playing now with the quality of football we played when we got promoted two years ago there is an enormous gulf. We currently have nothing to match the silky skills of Bobby and Paul Brooker (on a good day), nor (and I find it amazing that I'm saying this) do we have anyone who can pass the ball out of defence like Paul Watson did. That (two years ago) was one amazing team playing some great football. This team .... well they got promoted and we have a good defence ....

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
After two successive championships we were expecting to hold our own in Div 1 two years ago.

Dick made one of his (few - calm down FG) errors in appointing Martin Hinshelwood after PT jumped ship.

I think most of us will have our eyes open this season. I expect us to have a hard season and I hope we stay up. We have a good chance if we hold on to Mark McGhee and he is allowed to strengthen in a couple of areas. I would be delighted if we end up in the three positions ABOVE the relegation area.

Just need the new stadium now.

For the moment just bask in the glory of Sunday. It was not a classic to the neutral but it was a "dream final" in my eyes!:thumbsup: :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Buzza said:
For the moment just bask in the glory of Sunday. It was not a classic to the neutral but it was a "dream final" in my eyes!:thumbsup: :)

I've had these thoughts since we won.

Don't care if the game was terrible to watch..

Don't care if Brizzle are pissed off...

Don't care if Swindon fans are still bitter...

Don't care if Swindon players are still bitter...

Don't care what anybody says or thinks about our gameplan/game on Sunday...

All that counts in my eyes is that our team showed that they have a mental toughness that Swindon and Brizzle would love to have had when they played us. They didn't-we finish the season happy as fcuk!

We're going up people and the rest just don't matter!

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
There will be a scrap at the bottom which we will be part of. There will also be Rotherham, Gillingham, Derby, QPR, Coventry and Millwall in my opinion. We must be thinking about beating the likes of these teams if we want to stay up. Results against the other teams in the bottom four was what cost us and we can't make that same mistake again.

However, how different will the situation look if we get the Falmer go-ahead? I could see some serious backers coming forward with money to help us maintain our position in Div 1. McGhee will be able to keep us in the Division if he is given some funds.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
goldstone said:
I work with a guy who's a Reading fan who congratulated us on getting promotion, but commented:

Crap game to watch on television for the non-aligned footie fan.

Neither team would survive Div 1 based on Sunday's performance without some serious squad strengthening.

He's probably right. I was so involved in the tension and atmosphere on Sunday that I couldn't remember what the quality of the game was like. I asked my son who couldn't remember either. But we both knew that it wasn't a classic!

And he's right about needing to strengthen the team!

Great game, great atmosphere, wonderful day and everything on Sunday ......... BUT

If you compare the way we are playing now with the quality of football we played when we got promoted two years ago there is an enormous gulf. We currently have nothing to match the silky skills of Bobby and Paul Brooker (on a good day), nor (and I find it amazing that I'm saying this) do we have anyone who can pass the ball out of defence like Paul Watson did. That (two years ago) was one amazing team playing some great football. This team .... well they got promoted and we have a good defence ....
Nice to see you have just realised we need strenghening??? about 6 players:clap:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
chips and gravy said:
There will be a scrap at the bottom which we will be part of. There will also be Rotherham, Gillingham, Derby, QPR, Coventry and Millwall in my opinion. We must be thinking about beating the likes of these teams if we want to stay up. Results against the other teams in the bottom four was what cost us and we can't make that same mistake again.

However, how different will the situation look if we get the Falmer go-ahead? I could see some serious backers coming forward with money to help us maintain our position in Div 1. McGhee will be able to keep us in the Division if he is given some funds.

II'd add Burnley and Watford to that list. And take off QPR - I''ll think they'll be OK.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The key difference here is that we go up with a fundamentally sound defence. We were found out down the flanks last time - particularly with Watto having a mare of a season.

If we keep Harding, Virgo and ElAbd then McGhee can build from the back - I'm pretty sure he will have noticed he needs to!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
CP 0 3 BHA said:
The key difference here is that we go up with a fundamentally sound defence. We were found out down the flanks last time - particularly with Watto having a mare of a season.

If we keep Harding, Virgo and ElAbd then McGhee can build from the back - I'm pretty sure he will have noticed he needs to!

I agree. Virgo and El Abd are making a much better job of it.

Reid has first division experience and is better in the centre of midfield.

We have all summer for MM to sort stuff out and he has enough contacts to play the loan system at its best. There will be free transfers as well, I am sure of it.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I am convinced MM will keep us in Div1 this time round, at least we will not spend half the summer without a manager this time and have plenty of time to prepare, at last a bit of stability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here