Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

View from the Wednesday fans

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Theres some incredible arrogence on there about the size of the clubs and out away support.

On away support, then look up our average support last year, it was just under 2000 I think, and about 3rd highest in the league. Not bad considering Shef W think travelling 60 miles for an "away game" an adventure. Brighton will only have 4 away games all season of less than 60 miles.

You do relise that, in a way, this foolish quote actually enhances the quality of our support, and shows your's up for what it is. Poor.

The amount of other clubs close to us is huge. We even share a city with a club that is also bigger than your's. The fact that we get the attendances we do, and travel with the numbers we do, is astonishing really.
"
Your catchment area is huge with little in terms of close rivals. Your away followings are very poor considering the potential fanbase you COULD have. And goes to prove that your fanbase are far from proper football fans. "

Is he for real. Sheffiled coming to Brighton is one of their longest journeys of the season. We use Sheffield station as a changing point for about half a dozen games! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hop on a train at mid day for half your away games, and still have time for an hour or two in the pub before the game starts. There's some decent comments on one of the threads, and a lot of bitterness on the other.

When are "big clubs" like Sheffield, going to realise that the reason our support has been so low over the past 20 years, is because our capicity has been so low. 9th or 10th highest season ticket sales in the country, with a waiting list, would suggest we are not a small club. Christ, these "big clubs" with a history, really need to live in the present and not in the distance past.

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
It's got to be sustained. If we're still selling that many season tickets in 10 years time then we can show that it's not down to the new stadium effect. It also takes time to increase the away attendances if you take them as a percentage of the home gate.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Some pissed up Wednesday fans pushed their way to the front of the R bus queue thinking it was the queue for the buses to Brighton. Quite amusing. They were saying how we taught them a footballing lesson though and said it could have been 6 or 7.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I was talking to "WatfordOwl" in the downs hotel before we travelled over the hill to the game last night.

He was a decent bloke and had come down with his missus. We had a good chat about all things football and he had a very open and honest opinion on his team and how they play before the game and his summation is pretty accurate.

Makes a change to meet a decent away fan who wasnt so narrow minded and blinkered towards his own club.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Some pissed up Wednesday fans pushed their way to the front of the R bus queue thinking it was the queue for the buses to Brighton. Quite amusing. They were saying how we taught them a footballing lesson though and said it could have been 6 or 7.

I shall be referring to these Weds fans comments when i return to work on Monday ....happy days !

SWFC_FAN

Banned
Aug 4, 2012
Most Wednesdayites are fair minded and not as arrogant as alot of football fans think we are. Every club has their fair share of morons and dullards but that is normally only a minority, except in the case of Sheffield United! haha.

The MASSIVE thing which seems to wind alot of you and other supporters up is merely a tongue in cheek joke. It started when alot of Wednesday players would call us 'a massive club' in interviews etc and it caught on from there. We'd often excuse anything we did for being massive for a bit of laugh, it annoyed the Sheffield United fans so we just carried it on even further. We know we're not massive, we are a big club in heritage and history but at this momnet we are an average Championship side finding our feet again, it's not arrogance it's just a bit of fun!

That Brighton thread on Owlstalk is just a bit of banter guys, just like thread you have on us, Brighton fans came on our message board giving us some stick so we gave em a bit back, friendly banter, not bitterness or arrogance. Brighton are a good football club, with a nice new stadium on the way up, you're not 'tinpot' most Wednesday fans will agree with my viewpoint. You outclassed us last night and with much more quality and creativity throughout the side.

All football clubs have its idiots and they seem to overshadow the normal majority. Good luck for the season and i look forward to teaching you a lesson in football when we next meet! haha. UTO

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Most Wednesdayites are fair minded and not as arrogant as alot of football fans think we are. Every club has their fair share of morons and dullards but that is normally only a minority, except in the case of Sheffield United! haha.

The MASSIVE thing which seems to wind alot of you and other supporters up is merely a tongue in cheek joke. It started when alot of Wednesday players would call us 'a massive club' in interviews etc and it caught on from there. We'd often excuse anything we did for being massive for a bit of laugh, it annoyed the Sheffield United fans so we just carried it on even further. We know we're not massive, we are a big club in heritage and history but at this momnet we are an average Championship side finding our feet again, it's not arrogance it's just a bit of fun!

That Brighton thread on Owlstalk is just a bit of banter guys, just like thread you have on us, Brighton fans came on our message board giving us some stick so we gave em a bit back, friendly banter, not bitterness or arrogance. Brighton are a good football club, with a nice new stadium on the way up, you're not 'tinpot' most Wednesday fans will agree with my viewpoint. You outclassed us last night and with much more quality and creativity throughout the side.

All football clubs have its idiots and they seem to overshadow the normal majority. Good luck for the season and i look forward to teaching you a lesson in football when we next meet! haha. UTO

fair comments fella . still i cant wait for the bragging rights at 6am on monday ! ha ha

Hatman1234

Aug 24, 2011
In a crater in the sea.
Jebus! Who cares what they're saying about us! I don't know why people troll through rival teams forums looking for a Brighton related story! Totally boring!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

That has to be the most reasonable balanced post from an away fan ever....Wednesday were not the worst we've seen and I'm sure they'll survive in this division.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Trouble is, a lot of them actually do think they're massive.

TerryT

Jun 14, 2011

Good post mate

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
Sheffield Wednesday supporters were responsible for giving us the amusing sight of Palace fans fleeing on their hands and knees. I like them and I like their City.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This caught my eye from ReadingOwl...

Their counter attacks very very worrying too (when we lost possession) - they weren't subtle. They got the ball forward, sometimes with just a hoof, nothing fancy, and we just couldn't cope.
I just want to mention to this guy to take up a sport he knows about, because football has clearly passed him by.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
This caught my eye from ReadingOwl...

I just want to mention to this guy to take up a sport he knows about, because football has clearly passed him by.
The same poster who also slates the Amex

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Hillsborough and it 'massive' is so much more attractive.

I suppose any seat that is pitch level(roughly) and in the corner would have an horrendous view, the Amex being no different.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I suppose any seat that is pitch level(roughly) and in the corner would have an horrendous view, the Amex being no different.

They are away fans, they should have the worst view available.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
On away support, then look up our average support last year, it was just under 2000 I think, and about 3rd highest in the league. Not bad considering Shef W think travelling 60 miles for an "away game" an adventure. Brighton will only have 2 away games all season of less than 60 miles.

Fixed. Bristol is about 150 miles away, Watford is a little over 80.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here