Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think everyone is right.

Increase in drug use is an issue
Lockdown causing changes in behavious is an issue
Scrotes in society/broken society is an issue
Misbehaving players/managers is an issue
Lawbreaking goverment is an issue
Vieira was within his rights to do it
Vieira shouldn't have done it (seriously, the fact he didn't react until the fan had turned away could cost him, if those pushing charges are so inclined)
Fans shouldn't be on the pitch
Fans will always celebrate "success" when it's been such a stress to get there
Everton fans should be embarassed they're celebrating premier league survival like that (and probably will in the cold light of day)

EDIT to add to possible causes:
general cost savings and lack of stewarding/policing numbers?
football being an outlet for life stresses, the current cost of living is causing a lot more stress and leading to more explosions. Without proper riots, football gives that outlet?

Yep, all of this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really tricky this…….definitely sympathy for Viera, particularly after the Billy Sharp assault so recently, but he hadn’t been physically harmed as far as the clip shows, so lashing out like he did will probably get him in a whole heap of trouble.

Fans shouldn’t have been on the pitch but entirely predictable they were going to be, and no way in the world a few minimum-wage stewards were going to stop them (and shouldn’t have been expected to).

Can’t see how this gets stopped without serious sanctions against both clubs and individuals

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m really not buying into the cocaine thing for being involved in all incidents we’ve seen. I think it’s general bellendary , alcohol and lack of respect / fear of repercussions

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’m really not buying into the cocaine thing for being involved in all incidents we’ve seen. I think it’s general bellendary , alcohol and lack of respect / fear of repercussions

Doubt Vieira was coked up but the guy who assaulted Sharp had a bag of it in his pocket.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Really tricky this…….definitely sympathy for Viera, particularly after the Billy Sharp assault so recently, but he hadn’t been physically harmed as far as the clip shows, so lashing out like he did will probably get him in a whole heap of trouble.

Fans shouldn’t have been on the pitch but entirely predictable they were going to be, and no way in the world a few minimum-wage stewards were going to stop them (and shouldn’t have been expected to).

Can’t see how this gets stopped without serious sanctions against both clubs and individuals

It's also tricky in terms of the law as well. Under the law, Vieira should be accused of assault (even though many of us support what he did), but I'm not entirely sure the Everton fan, annoying as he was, actually committed a crime. Maybe there's a gap in the law around phone usage in a mocking, intrusive manner? Or perhaps that is covered by some other law?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is where I struggle. With prison in a number of cases you're addressing the outcomes not the source. I believe there was a report that 50% of those in prison have come through the care system and 60% have suffered through trauma and/or neglect.
I'm ok with addressing the outcome but you also need to correspondingly put things in place to prevent the source.

Sadly, this fits the current class narrative and politics in this country where those without are continually compromised and kept down so those who have can sneer and be 'tough on crime'

I agree (and confess to large amounts of knee-jerk sneering myself). And as far as being tough to address the outcome as you put it, we already have the biggest prison population (per capita) in Europe.

The irony, also, is that those who who make the most noise about crime and punishment for certain actions are cheerful law breakers in other contexts themselves, for example the geriatric football hooligan who used to post regularly on NSC (but now lives in the pit).

I'm very much a vicar and not a bookie (to invoke Alan Watkins) but it's quite clear that societal issues are part of the problem. The numerical difference between our British criminality and that elsewhere, the excess if you like, could be due to the inferior genes of the British working class, or it could be environmental: the toleration and even encouragement of certain behavious that can flourish in the various echo chambers in which so many people live. Somewhere there will be the sharing of videos of 'suppoters' mocking players of other teams, from recent pitch invasions, with thousands of 'likes'. Only the slow march of education, matching the wider intolerance of such tomfoolery, will change anything.

Meanwhile, here on MAGFC (middle aged gentle folk's chat) the bafflement and outrage echos in its own smaller chamber.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's also tricky in terms of the law as well. Under the law, Vieira should be accused of assault (even though many of us support what he did), but I'm not entirely sure the Everton fan, annoying as he was, actually committed a crime. Maybe there's a gap in the law around phone usage in a mocking, intrusive manner? Or perhaps that is covered by some other law?

He committed a crime, just by being on the pitch.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

The fan has committed a crime by being on the pitch.
If his behaviour is threatening or abusive, that's a crime a well.
I imagine Veira could also use the defence that Everton failed to keep him safe, especially following the night befores action

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Probably on the pitch to try to protect his players. Didn't see him remonstrate with the guy with kid on his shoulders. I wouldn't take my kids to football at that age but each to his own.

The guy with the child and 2 more were shielding Vierra -- proper men !

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
With so much money in the Premier League perhaps a bit less should go on player salaries and a bit more on clubs paying for policing and protecting said players and managers? Everton should have had protocol in place for an entirely predictable crowd invasion with stewards near key personnel before the whistle blown. All a bit more obvious after the event but perhaps less focus on £100k a week for rather indifferent football players in the future?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Four things I can see from this

I'm not condoning what Viera did, but I know that in the past I have reacted similarly to similar levels of provocation. I accept we may all have different levels of 'dickhead in your face' acceptance levels before we react and some may be far better than others, but everyone has their limit and unfortunately I really can't see an obvious solution to stop this happening again.

In my experience, the coke problem has got a lot worse at football over the last few years and although we have a couple of young lads next to us who are often off their heads, they've never been anything other than friendly and good fun. However, I do believe that, as with most drugs (alcohol included) if you are a **** at heart they will only make you worse and this episode is proof of that. And a stupid **** to decide Viera was a good one to pick on :facepalm:

Without proven evidence (and I haven't read any yet) I really don't know whether lockdown has had a big effect on this, but I think it would be foolish to claim it hasn't in the absence of such evidence.

Alas going forward, whenever economic times are bad and young adults have very little opportunities to improve their lives, all incidences of violence increase hugely. With what is coming in the next couple of years at least, I suggest people try to keep their heads down and stay safe and try to raise our 'dickhead in your face' acceptance levels :(

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Much as I applaudedCantona for kicking Matthew whatsisface I applaud Vieira for fending this twant off. But I fear in the cold light of day it's assault (albeit as a result of provocation) and Pat could be in trouble. Maybe the softness of his kick will be his saving grace (it should) but as we've seen in this day and age with Will Smith...could be a 'cancel' ahead. Same I guess for McBurnie who has previous

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The only acceptable outcome of this would be a 20 point deduction for Palace next season and a lifetime ban from English football for Viera in my considered opinion. A £50 fine for the Everton fan too of course.

This season surely. Take the 20 points right now.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Supporters Entering the field of play is a offence , so yes he’s committed a offence.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Much as I like the club, I have to say that Everton have to take a huge share of the blame. After what happened at Huddersfield and Nottingham, a post-match pitch invasion in the event of an Everton win was entirely predictable. Given that, since the pandemic, the visiting team dressing room is in the corner where the away fans sit and that Vieira would have to cross the pitch or go round two sides of the ground to get there, there should have been proper security for him and his staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here