Votes: 16 57.1%
  • NAY

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sorry if this has been done before but.....

With all the fuss over the Leon Knight "elbow" yesterday, this is the sort of incident that video replays should be used for. The incident with Leon was so obviously crucial to the game.

If he had been deliberately elbowed then a penalty and the keeper being sent off would have changed the game. It would not have held up the game for any longer than it already was while Leon was being treated, and the right decision would have been made.

I don't believe it could be used for every dodgy offside decision, but for game changing incidents such as this, or if a ball has crossed the goal line or not, then I can't see any reason for it not to be introduced.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes.

If play has stopped, then there is absolutly no good reason why we cant have a video replay. The main opposition to Video is that it would affect the flow of the game. But for goalline did it/didnt it cross issues, penalties (once given) and such this isnt an issue.

Since the authorities cant seem to maintain any sort of consistancy with the current arrangments, i believe it is inevitable that we will get video replays. FA/UEFA/FIFA need to take the inititive and set suitable parameters for them now, before you get some break away league dictating it - an incorrect penalty desicion in a champions league game can be worth millions.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I tink you should be limited to say, three challenges of a decision in a match, Otherwise we'll see games taking three hours to play.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Not quite sure, as there would allways be debate's weather or not to watch ceratin parts of the game as you can't do it for the whole 90 minutes, but where as knights elbow that would have deffiently changed the game yesterday and whould have helped us if the ref saw the video fottage at the time

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was watching a copy of 'European Cumbath 26' today, and it definitely benefitted from the use of a video replay

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I think it will be a good thing it works well in rugby and doesn't seem to interupt play.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Yes - but only if the play has been stopped and it will no dleay the game too much. However if the decision is key then a slight delay, as long as it makes the decision correct would not bother me. I feel howevrer care needs to be taken as some refs might use it all the time and make a game last for ages. They need to make some dodgy decisions, otherwise what will we talk about ???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Only for certain decisions like if the ball crossed the goal line or not and stuff like that otherwise the game will be ruined.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Maybe they should discuss it with the rugby boys as in the world cup final they had timeout for a decision and didn't affect the game.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm in favour of it...it's time the game moved forward. It works for both codes of rugby and doesn't seem to get abused, nor does it seem to affect the flow of the games or add excessive amounts of time to the length of a game.

Managers not to have a say in which incidents get replays-should be down to the observer present at the game and for specific potential game changing incidents: penalties, disputed goals, off the ball clashes. The game itself would benefit from it with there being less cheating.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think in Rugby it's only for Tries. American football used to have video replays in the NFL for every incident, they had to scrap it because it held up the game too much. Not sure if they kept it for touchdowns.

Basically I say NAY if its to check on every little incident. Ok Refs get it wrong occasionally and miss things, that's life. I'd probably still say no even if it was just for goal decisions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bwian said:
I'm in favour of it...it's time the game moved forward. It works for both codes of rugby and doesn't seem to get abused, nor does it seem to affect the flow of the games or add excessive amounts of time to the length of a game.
There was a hell of a row after the challenge cup final this year when the video replay ref was accused of getting some vital decisions wrong.

I'm not in favour at all. They've had replays in cricket for some years and it hasn't stopped the arguments about wrongful decisions. Cricket is at a pace where it can tolerate a few interruptions, football isn't.

I think it all evens itself out in the long run - you'll get a few bad decisions and then get a few good ones. It's not worth mucking around with the game to sort it out.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
NAY!

two reasons!

Who will pay for all this technology to be installed, large screen for fans, cameras in every angle. With all our clubs strapped for cash or nearly going to the wall, the great thing about football is the same rules apply for the premiership as the day for waterhall on a sunday morning!

These incedents are which make football great, that's why we're discussing them 2 days later, if the Video referee said it happened and the crowd saw the replay, we would go fair enough and forget it.... Look at sunderland kid who got his leg broke last night, play on said the ref - horrendous tackle IMHO, but ref thinks he won the ball, how many replays do we want to see before the ref says his 3rd stud touched the ball before shattering his opponents shin, "PLAY ON" oh can't w've stopped for ten minutes, ok drop ball...oh stop need to see if the ball hit the ground before you kicked it...aaarghhhh.....

but maybe I'm wrong, but I like football the way it is...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolute Nay. It may not have held up the Rugby World Cup final but they had try decisions on video replay constantly during the Super 12 this season Down Under. It does hold up the game if you refer every decision and the cynic in me says it's a spurious ruse to allow the TV Networks to try and sell more beer and cars.

Plus dodgy refs are as much part of the fun of football as dodgy pies and winning 1-0 in the last minute with an arse rebound having spent the game camped in your own half.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Nay - For reasons others have said. I think it'll cause more arguments as opposing sides will still 'interpret' incidents for their own ends. Also part of the game is about having the same rules for all levels, something that you wouldn't be able to do if this ruling was bought in. Effectively creating a two tier system.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Has anyone else watched the Seagulls World video of Sunday? I thought the Knight was making a meal of things but having watched it again there is a clear elbow in the face from Carlise....

Still don't think video replys should be used during the games but yellow and red cards should be overturned if there is clear evidence after the game and not just in the premiership like it is now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here