Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video highlights: Crystal Palace v Brighton - Five Penalties in a Game (1989)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was also there, and my memory is that the ref was a class A cock. And rightly so. We're SUPPOSED to be biased.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and having now watched it back - he's STILL a prick.

Granted at least 2 of the pens were definite, but the first was for nothing, and the handball was harsh. More to the point though, he's one of those refs that make you DEMAND that you hate them, by clearly loving being centre of attention. "Look at ME, look at ME. Look at the way I FLOURISH my yellow cards, with a DRAMATIC flick of the wrist" And he has UTTERLY shit hair. And clearly all his FAMILY hated him. Or they would have told him how shit his HAIR looked. The TWAT.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside, Curbishley and Trusson must be the slowest CM partnership in the history of world football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Granted at least 2 of the pens were definite, but the first was for nothing, and the handball was harsh. More to the point though, he's one of those refs that make you DEMAND that you hate them, by clearly loving being centre of attention. "Look at ME, look at ME. Look at the way I FLOURISH my yellow cards, with a DRAMATIC flick of the wrist" And he has UTTERLY shit hair. And clearly all his FAMILY hated him. Or they would have told him how shit his HAIR looked. The TWAT.
Plus the way he KNOWS he's made a controversial decision by pointing to the spot and then running 100m in 11 seconds TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

Wanker.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I think the full video is about an hour long, if anyone wants a copy, PM me and I will send them out to you. (if there are loads of requests please be patient, I will get round to it), and all I ask in return is:-
1, £1 sponsorship on the address below
2, Meet us in The Hydrant, this Sunday night. (this one is a bit optional).

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Was at the game and had forgotten that Curbs fluffed that easy chance to make it 2-2.

Grrrr :tantrum:

I reckon Kelvin had a bad day at the office :lolol:

Remember waiting outside Selhurst and being called "scum" by a fat Palace fan. :down:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Granted at least 2 of the pens were definite, but the first was for nothing...

I think you're wearing your Albion glasses there. We'd still be moaning about that now if Gary O'Reilly had grabbed Nelson like that. I thought that was the most blatant of the lot.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
As a young lad on the away terrace I remember a bloke tripping up and falling over at half time with some loon shouting out penalty, to much hilarity.

Remember following Kelvin Morton in football mag 'Match stats' after that game and pretty much every game he reffed had at least 1 penalty and notable sending offs. This in the days when refs were not brandishing cards willy-nilly. The bloke was an arse.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

:thumbsup:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
As a young lad on the away terrace I remember a bloke tripping up and falling over at half time with some loon shouting out penalty, to much hilarity.

Remember following Kelvin Morton in football mag 'Match stats' after that game and pretty much every game he reffed had at least 1 penalty and notable sending offs. This in the days when refs were not brandishing cards willy-nilly. The bloke was an arse.
my point exactly, this game was unfortunately not a one off for that idiot......

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Wasn't this also the game where a Palace fan nearby (over to our right at the near end of the main stand) goaded us from the top of the stairs for what seemed like hours before a copper emerged behind him, stood there drinking in the moment and then nabbing him to much mirth from us Seagulls.

:smile:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I knew Kelvin Morton pretty well at one stage - his son was in the class I taught in Culford Prep School, just outside Bury St Edmunds.

After finishing refereeing in the mid 1990s, Kelvin became a referee's assessor and travelled to Premiership games across the country. I went with him as a guest to Leicester v Derby in the late '90s when a young Paul Durkin was officiating - on the way there, I had the chance while travelling to ask him about the Palace v Brighton 5 penalty game.

He'd had the chance to consider about every penalty decision in that game - it was certainly one of the more eventful ones in his career. He went through all of the five penalties giving the reasons why he gave them at the time. It wasn't a case of formulating a supporting case after the event - Kelvin was a decent, honest bloke. He gave them as he saw them.

Were they all correct? For me, no - the first was harsh. But he did show the Albion some mercy by allowing Wilkins to stay on the field after a shockingly late tackle.

Not expecting this to help Albion fans get closure on this (highly unlikely as it was Palace after all), but I felt it was worth posting just because I knew the guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here