Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video game banned...

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Manhunt 1 was a quality game... shame really as I'd have liked to have got my hands on this.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Manhunt 1 was a quality game... shame really as I'd have liked to have got my hands on this.

Chances of being caught importing it: Virtually nil. Even if you are, they'll just keep it.

There'll be region 2, English, PAL copies of it available for all consoles on the net as soon as its released.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How can it be any worse than the GTA games.

GTA has humour, morals (misguided maybe, but morals none the less), and variation in missions: steal a car, blow up some russian terrorists, get a tattoo, fly a plane, steal some drugs, kill some hoods, rescue immigrants. Manhunt is much more dark and sinster, their main objection being that there is no respite from relentless killing and the context of that killing. To be honest it doesnt sound like a particularly interesting game.

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
They have gone way too far by including the Jamie Buldger footage.
I can see both sides of the argument for banning these sorts of games, comparing them to films however is no comparison. In a game you are completely involved and control the characters actions. I can see how people who play these games get completely entranced in the experience. I can remember years back when I first got my Playstation 1 with Resident Evil, I played it for 18 hours straight only stopping to go to the loo or get food - opening my bedroom door was just like the door opening sequence from the game (albeit a bit quicker!! - for those that have played it you'll know what I mean!!)

Other games to have been banned, then recoded and re-released - The Getaway.....

They have gone way too far by including the Jamie Buldger footage.
I can see both sides of the argument for banning these sorts of games, comparing them to films however is no comparison. In a game you are completely involved and control the characters actions. I can see how people who play these games get completely entranced in the experience. I can remember years back when I first got my Playstation 1 with Resident Evil, I played it for 18 hours straight only stopping to go to the loo or get food - opening my bedroom door was just like the door opening sequence from the game (albeit a bit quicker!! - for those that have played it you'll know what I mean!!)

Other games to have been banned, then recoded and re-released - The Getaway.....

But did playing Resident Evil make you want to pick up a gun/axe/whatever was at hand and go and attack people? While I'm no expert on mental illness, it seems to me that these games are merely used as something to blame when someone with a mental illness is not picked up by the system and goes on some crazy spree. I can't understand why people think that playing a computer game will make any normal person go and act in a similar fashion in the real world.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't agree with the banning but there is a vast difference in watching a torture scene in a film and acting out a torture film in a game

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I can see how people who play these games get completely entranced in the experience. I can remember years back when I first got my Playstation 1 with Resident Evil, I played it for 18 hours straight only stopping to go to the loo or get food - opening my bedroom door was just like the door opening sequence from the game (albeit a bit quicker!! - for those that have played it you'll know what I mean!!)

That says more about the health of your hat-rack than anything else though.

Normal level-headed people like myself can play a violent game like man-hunt for a normal amount of time and not start having visions about being in the game and ramming crowbars into the tops of people s heads.

A few do-gooders have to go and try to ruin it for everyone. It'll get released eventually and all a ban will do is stir up interest to a fever pitch giving the game cult status and make people want it more.

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
It didn't make me wanna re-act out the game at all! All I was trying to say was I guess a lack of sleep and being transfixed by something for 18 hours straight affected me in a way of "oh this is like in the game...."
I suppose had there have been a zombie on the other side of the door then I would have had to leapt back into my room and grabbed my sword from under the bed and killed the thing!! Oh wait my mum did used to look a bit rough in the morning.... maybe it was her!! :lolol:

Seriously though if you already have undiagnosed mental problems I am sure playing these sort of games does not help! If you add into the equation that most of these sponging bums are smoking pot too.... (well I guess that is a whole other can of worms!!) Point is there is no way a game can singularly be blamed for someone going on a killing spree, although it could be a major contributing factor.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I quite like Manhunt 1 although it lacked depth and was a bit repetative

Agreed. It was very atmospheric though and had me jumping out of my skin on more than one occasion :lolol:

My heart was thumping as I hid in the shadows and you could hear the footsteps and taunts of your assailants coming from somewhere.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I agree. The only thing I would say when comparing it to sick films is that with a game it is you committing the violence rather than sitting watching a film.

However, I am totally of the opinion that it is certificated and therefore only adults should be playing it anyway.

Personally I'll be gutted if it doesn't come out as even though it was sick the first one was a superb game and incredibly atmospheric even though I don't normally like those stealth-type games like Metal Gear and Hitman.

That said I reckon it's a clever publicity stunt and they'll make a few tweaks to get it through the censors and it'll fly off the shelves after all that great free publicity.
The interactivity thing is true, but then on the other hand films are live action, real people.

Completely agree with the rest of what you said (except about not liking Metal Gear ;)).

By the way Manhunt 2 doesn't have footage of Jamie Bulger, that is a different game, and totally wrong.

ANGER OVER BULGER IMAGES ON VIDEO GAME
By Kim Pilling, PA
A computer game which appears to show a CCTV image of murdered toddler James Bulger being abducted has been withdrawn from sale.
His mother, Denise Fergus, complained to the manufacturers of Law and Order:
Double or Nothing about the game which she criticised as ``sick``.
The photograph features as a background image on a noticeboard for the game which is based on the US TV series of the same name which is broadcast in the UK.
It has a striking similarity with the footage captured at the New Strand Shopping Centre in Bootle, Merseyside, which was the last sighting of the two-year-old before he was led to his death by his killers Robert Thompson and Jon Venables.
Ms Fergus, 37, wrote to Global Software demanding that the offending image be removed.
She complained the game dehumanised the memory of her son and that he was being treated as if he was public property.
She had only become recently aware of the game, which was first published in 2003.
The California-based developer of Law and Order: Double of Nothing, Legacy Interactive, is reported to have apologised for any distress caused and said the photograph would be removed from future copies.
The game has been withdrawn from sale by its UK distributor Global Software.
Chris Johnson, a spokesman for Ms Fergus, told BBC Radio Merseyside: ``It is something she feels strongly about, that images of James should not be used and abused in this way as if he is some kind of public property.
``It is as if it dehumanises James and it seems like his death enters into some kind of myth or legend.
``To her it is very real and an ever-present emotion that she lives with every day of her life.'' Thompson and Venables, both aged 10 at the time, lured James away from his mother while she was shopping in 1993.
They walked him to a railway line and battered him to death with bricks and an iron bar, then left his body on the track to be cut in half.
After being convicted of murder, the pair spent eight years in youth custody before being released in 2001 with new identities.

Hoggy

Controversial!
Sep 28, 2006
BN1
they need to make these games unplayable for under 18's so that others can enjoy them! by requiring a valid driver's license or passport code so that they cannot play, if they then get an over 18's passport/license, then that individual should be held responsible as well!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
they need to make these games unplayable for under 18's so that others can enjoy them! by requiring a valid driver's license or passport code so that they cannot play, if they then get an over 18's passport/license, then that individual should be held responsible as well!

Would require giving a private organisation access to the driving licence and passport databases - even in the modern world of massive data leaks that ain't gonna happen!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Ooooh I hope for your sake MYOB doesn't pick up on that :jester:

Manhunt 2 should be banned purely on the grounds that the first one was a piss poor abomination of a game unworthy of Rockstar.

Oh, I saw it, I just have better things to do with my time than deal with twats on NSC. Dealing with twat customers, for instance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here