Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Victoria to Brighton train

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've a couple of American friends coming over shortly and I'm organising travel from London for them.
To make is easy I don't want a train change. It's for Saturday 29th June.
I've organised trips to Marseille, Amsterdam, Rome & Athens and all were a lot easier than Victoria to London.
Why is it so difficult? Seems cheaper to arrive in Lewes, or 1st class to Brighton at 10:05
£35 for a single is extreme.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Why not a direct train from London Bridge - Thameslink is usually a bit cheaper.

I know its not always possible but in ordder to make train travel in this country vaguely paletable. you need to book in advance and/or have a rail card

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Always use Thamelink these days. It's cheaper, the trains are longer (they never sneak a 4 carriage service on at peak for example), and London Bridge, Farringdon and St Pancras are all at least as connected as Victoria is for TfL services. Plus the rear most First Class is always declassified, so you can get nice seats and a table for no extra money.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Always use Thamelink these days. It's cheaper, the trains are longer (they never sneak a 4 carriage service on at peak for example), and London Bridge, Farringdon and St Pancras are all at least as connected as Victoria is for TfL services. Plus the rear most First Class is always declassified, so you can get nice seats and a table for no extra money.
Shhhhh don't tell everyone about that last part, you will ruin it for everybody!!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My only problem with Thameslink is the sore arse I get whenever I go on there. I much preferred the old fabric bucket seats rather than these in the cavernous tubes they have now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The train geek answer is that Southern don't run London to Brighton anymore, at least not on Sundays, it's only Gatwick Express (which is more expensive and only every half hour), they used to run the London to Littlehampton / Hastings trains as one London to Haywards Heath then split them, but I believe that with the works going on at Gatwick (and a desire to run both as 8 coach trains) that has affected the paths so they run them as two separate trains the whole way now, with the Southern Brighton train paying the price.

Only options from Brighton to London are now GatEx or Thameslink, and only one of them goes to Victoria.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I find bafflingly it is cheaper to buy a travelcard starting at Brighton than a single from Victoria. God knows how that works.
Train operators about 18 months ago were trying their damnedest to get London Travelcards off the market, and when you see that you can see why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here