Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Victor Chandler has closed the book - decision has been made ....

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Fffffffffffffffffffffffff

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
sorry - never had the chance to do that before!

I humbly apologise to Mr Wedgee!!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Just like when they took the odds off last night?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Maybe VC don't have a 24 hour monitor on such things? Imagine the heavy betting in the wee small hours if people 'in the know' betted large.. VC would lose a potload.

If they suspend overnight, they can then resume when they are bright and sparkly eyed in the morning, knowing they haven't been fleeced. That's my guess anyhoo...

Maybe VC don't have a 24 hour monitor on such things? Imagine the heavy betting in the wee small hours if people 'in the know' betted large.. VC would lose a potload.

If they suspend overnight, they can then resume when they are bright and sparkly eyed in the morning, knowing they haven't been fleeced. That's my guess anyhoo...

You're not suggesting that someone at the Albion who is "in the know" might be tempted to place bets?

Shurely shome mishtake.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
All online bookies monitor their markets 24/7.

It would be impossible to have a large bet without clearance from them first.

Large in Brightons market would be around £100 or so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt there some concern about Arry having a bet on getting the job at Southamton when he had already agreed it or was it when he went back to Pompey. Either way he allegedly won loads of wonga.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Last night VC had Jim at 5/4 fav from 8-1 and ince was out to 3-1 so if money talks??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How do bookies arrive at the odds? Is it just a case of number of bets made/money placed and offsetting the same or do they have some sort of mason like inside track on EVERYTHING?

I guess what I'm asking is, is Gannon now the favourite simply because of the amount of money heaped on him??

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Last night VC had Jim at 5/4 fav from 8-1 and ince was out to 3-1 so if money talks??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had £500 to waste, I'd put it on Ince now just to see if and how it affected the prices.

Would be interesting to see Ince become the favourite and the subsequent frenzy on here (and in the Argus) - all because of a bet from someone who has no idea who's in line from the job!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
How do bookies arrive at the odds? Is it just a case of number of bets made/money placed and offsetting the same or do they have some sort of mason like inside track on EVERYTHING?

I guess what I'm asking is, is Gannon now the favourite simply because of the amount of money heaped on him??

In answer to your second question, yes, that's most likely the case.

The bookies odds compiler starts the market by assessing information in the public domain and any inside intelligence that might be available. As people bet against the odds then the pricing fluctuates as the bookie attempts to keep a green (profit) position. Unusual betting activity will be flagged and may lead to a temporary suspension of the market while the information and any intelligence is assessed. The market then may be re-opened with adjusted odds or may stay closed.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Jim Gannon 4/5
Aidy Boothroyd 7/2
Paul Ince 5/1
Steve Cotterill 9/1
Dean White 9/1
Andy Hessanthaler 12/1
Brian Horton 12/1
Dean Saunders 12/1
Alex Inglethorpe 14/1
Lawrie Sanchez 14/1
Nicky Forster 14/1
Glenn Roeder 14/1
Gary Stevens 16/1
Andy Scott 16/1
Iain Dowie 16/1
Martin Keown 20/1
Alan Curbishley 20/1
Ian Holloway 20/1
John Gregory 20/1
Peter Taylor 20/1
Martin Ling 20/1
Dean Wilkins 20/1
Paul Jewell 20/1
Andy Ritchie 22/1
Gary McAllister 22/1
Terry Connor 22/1
Charlie Oatway 25/1
John Ward 25/1
Steve Staunton 25/1
John Hughes 25/1
Alan Pardew 25/1
Russell Slade 28/1
David O`Leary 33/1
Paul Buckle 33/1
Tony Adams 33/1
Denis Wise 33/1
Billy McEwan 33/1
Ossie Ardiles 40/1
Liam Brady 40/1
Steve Claridge 50/1
Joe Kinnear 50/1

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Wasnt there some concern about Arry having a bet on getting the job at Southamton when he had already agreed it or was it when he went back to Pompey. Either way he allegedly won loads of wonga.

Arry categorically said that he wasn't going to go back to Pompey. This was the cue for big money prices being laid on betfair and other exchanges which were duly gambled on to make him the short priced favourite. Funnily enough he changed his mind and got the job.

Don't know who is getting the job but if my conversation down the Gym last night is to be believed it is definately NOT Ince.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here