Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente to play up front (ARGUS)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gus Poyet is considering a new role for Vicente in the Championship.

The Albion boss started his Spanish star in a new central attacking berth in Michel Kuipers ’ testimonial last night.

Vicente converted a penalty as the Seagulls were held to a 1-1 draw by top-flight Reading.

Poyet is still searching for a new striker and has Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins out injured.

He said: “We are trying to get the best from Vicente.

“Until we get the target man, the one who is going to play between the two centre-halves, we are looking for options.

“It doesn’t mean we are always going to play like this but I think he is dangerous in there.”

Poyet added: “We got what we wanted from the game in terms of fitness and a few players had 90 minutes.

“That is what we are looking for.

“The understanding is there for periods.

“We have to maintain it for 90 minutes but that will come.

“I am sure we are better today than we were before the game.”

Wayne Bridge again missed out with Frankie related groin injury but Poyet said he has a 99% chance of playing against Crawley on Friday.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He played there against Chelsea as well. When he came off Barnes went to play up top, but Toby didn't cover the wide position overly well so we seemed to lacking there

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think, well I hope, that once we get another striker - or CMS is fit again, that Dicker will be dropped and CMS will go up front with Vicente just behind.

Me too. Surprised Barnes doesn't seem to get much of a mention when it comes to up front options yet clearly he's highly regarded by Gus

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Need a better midfielder than Dicker if he is going to try this out...

That's odd I thought last night Dicker was superb (and I'm one of his critics), given the extra time afforded him playing with Crofts he controlled midfield.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Me too. Surprised Barnes doesn't seem to get much of a mention when it comes to up front options yet clearly he's highly regarded by Gus

Think Gus just values his defensive work too much to put him as the lone striker for the whole match. The front three have rotated at times during the Chelsea/Reading games so he has spells up there, but because he is so good at the defensive part of our game, he seems to have to fit in around another striker rather than being that striker himself

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Think Gus just values his defensive work too much to put him as the lone striker for the whole match. The front three have rotated at times during the Chelsea/Reading games so he has spells up there, but because he is so good at the defensive part of our game, he seems to have to fit in around another striker rather than being that striker himself

Fair point.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That's odd I thought last night Dicker was superb (and I'm one of his critics), given the extra time afforded him playing with Crofts he controlled midfield.

I heard that the game was pretty pedestrian and very little was created. If that's right it's difficult to see how Dicker could have been superb

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

agree with this, thought the 3 in the middle (Brid, Crofts and Dicker) looked very comfortable last night for large parts and signs were very promising for the season.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

The phase of play near the end of the game summed him up for me, he mis-placed a styraight forward enough pass when we were on the attack, tried to get back to rectify it and was just too slow and had to lunge in and bring the man down with a yellow card for his troubles.

The inclusion of Crofts has meant that Dicker doesn't have too many defensive responsibilities anymore which was never his strong point. So he should be free to play the link up football without any pressure. Personally would have preferred Harley or Sparrow to be playing ahead of him as they offer much more of a goal threat/incisive through balls. Crofts did about 10 times the amount of work that Dicker did last night and on Saturday in my view.

As above though, once CMS is fit or a new striker joins, I hope that means we'll go to a front 4 with Barnes plus one of KLL/Buckley/Noone out wide and Vicente just behind.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I heard that the game was pretty pedestrian and very little was created. If that's right it's difficult to see how Dicker could have been superb

broke up play well, showed some very nice moves and turns and in terms of creativity was very good.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
of course, its obvious really

Sometimes it's hard to see the wood for the trees, so I though it would be a helpful reminder to Gus that the easiest solution to not having enough strikers would be to buy another one, instead of knocking square pegs into rounds holes like.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought he looked good up front against Chelsea and a front 3 of Vicente,Buckley and Barnes is a great combination and allows us to have three proper midfielders and get Vicente free from defensive work and closer to where he's most dangerous.

Dicker look's happier in with 3 in midfield, though i'd have Harley or Vincelot in there instead of him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here