Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente open to a return to the Albion

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
After how Vicente slammed Gus in that interview in The Argus, is a new manager going to want to have a player who has previous of slagging managers off to the press on their team ?

If he does rejoin - pay as you play deal only. Would rather we dont pay him 15k a week for him to just sit around and be injured.
I would have him here as part of the coaching team, he can pick up the Tarricco type role, registered to play, but spending his time imparting his knowledge and experience to the players. He would also help attract other flairistas to the Amex.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"The Dagger" is my favourite ever Albion player. Once I had seen what he could do with a football, every time he got it after that my heart jumped with excitement and anticipation of his brilliance. He didn't "deliver" every time but plenty enough to keep me wanting more.

On the above basis I would be quite pleased if we could somehow get him back for next season.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
In my years of following the Albion, there have only ever been 3 players that give you that buzz of excitement when they're on the pitch and you just want them to have the ball all the time.

One of therm is Vicente.

Along with Wardy, & Bobby.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If the Board get him on what they think are decent and fair terms, I would welcome Vicente back without a moment's hesitation.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
most gifted player we've had in a Brighton shirt in years, if you can't appreciate his technique you know absolutely f*ck all about playing the game.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
In his first season when he was fit, he was quite simply the most skillful flare player I have ever seen in 40 odd years of watching Brighton & Hove Albion.

Last season? Was it a season too far? He was a shadow of the player we saw the previous season. Was time catching up with him or was his head not right due to his apparent falling out with Poyet? Who knows?

There is also the issue that playing Vicente can sometimes upset the balance of the team.

I would take a chance on bringing him back if the circumstances allowed it. The problem being, it was the 'club' who released him. We assume that decision was made by David Burke. 'If' he were invited back, it would have to be strictly on our terms, ie, pay as you play. Chuck in some decent performance related incentives for him. The club can't afford the luxury of a quality sicknote who is only fit for one third of the season.

I still suspect he could offer something. When things aren't going to plan, he can be the dream substitution to change things on the field when he is at his best.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
5 years ago a player of Vicente's standard would have been impossible at the club. He's good enough for any team in this league full stop. My feeling is that he wont be with us this season and its just Argus spin..

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No! No! No!

Just not able to rely on his fitness, superb player tho' he is.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yes! Yes! Yes!

He has said he was fit since January, so maybe we can rely on his fitness, as he is a superb player. :thumbsup:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
In terms of stature in the game, he's like the Iberian equivalent of Roy Keane.

I bet there was some excited fans when he agreed to manage Sunderland, but we all know that world class players do not always make great managers. I think he'd be a risk.

The same Roy Keane that took Sunderland from 2nd bottom in The Championship to the title in the same season?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Went Vicente was let go there was no outcry on NSC, only a shrug of the shoulders as the inevitable had happened. Now that we've been starved of good news for 5 weeks most people seem to be seizing on his possible return as a good thing. However, given the fact 18 staff members have been sacked this week and Barber continue to bang on about cost cutting I would have thought our best bet would be to bring in a manager with his own ideas about how best to use the comparatively restricted budget that Gus was so pissed off about.

Bringing back a £20K a week sicknote who didn't figure at all last season seems one hell of a risky move to me. If it was to happen you'd have to believe it could only work with a manager like Oscar at the helm.

I read today that Stephen Ireland is going to be released by Villa. You'd expect him to be in that "Hull/Palace /Cardiff/Championship Top 6" bracket of players and, at 26, he'd be capable of tearing up this division provided his head was right. Probably out of our league but not a million miles away.

Last edited:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I presume he was released because he was on a healthy wage (not 20k+ as some are saying, that's ludicrous), but didn't feature much to justify being retained. If he wants to be here and we can offer him PAYP or something more modest with performance-related bonuses, anyone who wouldn't want that is MENTAL. Full stop. He is the one player in our squad that there's a genuine buzz from the crowd when he gets it, the best player I've ever seen in an albion shirt. I'd love this to happen.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Bringing back a £20K a week sicknote who didn't figure at all last season seems one hell of a risky move to me. If it was to happen you'd have to believe it could only work with a manager like Oscar at the helm.

Poyet has said before that Vicente's wages were very low. With that in mind, I would be surprised if he was on £20k a week.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
All these people saying he was released, his contract ended, that is different to being released. As Poyet refused to deal with players out of contract, presumably it came down to someone else and they may or may not have said to Vicente, would you be happy to stay on another year. Going by the Argus article, maybe they did and he said yes but only under a different manager. Who knows :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here