Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente, is he the BEST player that has ever played for us?

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I have been watching the Albion since early 1970s and I think he could be the best

However warning one swallow does not make spring as such its to short a period to compaire against other players for example if you took a couple of Noones performances earler in the season you could make a case that he was the best albion player of all time, good as Noone is I think he is not the best player of all time as we have seen him play many games many more games than Vicente as such Noone has had good days and not so good days Vicente has played fantastically but his aperances are so few its not a fair comparison he needs to play all or most of the games to the end of the season before we can make this type of statement.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So it's Vicente, Gotsmanov or Lawrenson then? In terms of trophies, the only comparable difference seems to be that Vicente once won Spanish player of the year.

Did Gotsmanov ever play in a European cup semi final, incidentally. I know Lawrenson won the European cup.

Comparisons with Ward are laughable in terms of pure talent. Ward was great for us but a long way from World Class.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
25 years a season ticket holder (not the longest on here by any means, I know) and he's the best player I've ever seen in a Brighton shirt. If that shot at the end of his run, dogged by four players, had been a foot lower, we'd have needed a new net. Hell, we'd have needed to rebuild the bloody ground again, such would have been the noise.

I'm 40 years old - I'm way, way past the age where I'd put a player's name on my own shirt, and have never done so in any case. But just seeing that bloke in a Brighton shirt, even if it's only for this season, makes me want to get his bloody name tattooed on my own back, let alone my shirt. :love:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So it's Vicente, Gotsmanov or Lawrenson then? In terms of trophies, the only comparable difference seems to be that Vicente once won Spanish player of the year.

Did Gotsmanov ever play in a European cup semi final, incidentally. I know Lawrenson won the European cup.

Comparisons with Ward are laughable in terms of pure talent. Ward was great for us but a long way from World Class.

The question was is Vicente the best player to play for US ? I answered that question. Ward did the same week in week out that Vicente did for us last night, ie leave 2nd division players on their arse. The comparison is justified.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Weren't some of you saying this about Razak a couple of weeks back? Take a chill pill guys, he's started the last two games for us. He was outstanding today, without any shadow of a doubt, and when he hit the bar I immediately said I had not seen anything like that from a player in the stripes since Lawrenson scored the most memorable goal at the Goldstone v Wolves. He oozes class, it is there to be seen, but a 'legend' after a handful of games? Don't think so. But he is the biggest shining star in a very shiny Brighton universe right now.

As others have said - 'legend' - maybe bit premature to have attained that status. Best player ever to have played for us - yes definitely.
For me the only comparable is Lawrenson and Vicente really IS better.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

They are not laughable. Lawro said street playing in the best Liverpool sides that Wardy was the most skilful player he'd ever played with. High praise. Watching Vicente leaving players for dead emulated the excitement i felt as a kid watching Ward. Someone said that Wardy didn't do it in a high league but didn't he get 18 or 19 one season in the first division when we were struggling. That's pretty good.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Players like him, come along once in a generation at the Albion (well up til now - who knows inthe future??).

The fact we are going back 22 years to Gotsmanov, and then another 10 years to Lawrenson just shows how rare this is.

he has been superb for us so far when he has played - he seems to be getting better. If he does this til the end of the season he could well make legendary status (if not already)

To all fans (the young and old), watch him, observe him, covet him and cherish him. We dont know how long we have of him.

I'm as cynical as the next man, but last night I just found myself literally bowing down to him. Perhaps we should all do this at Forest and then again at the next home game.

We are NOT worthy.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The question was is Vicente the best player to play for US ? I answered that question. Ward did the same week in week out that Vicente did for us last night, ie leave 2nd division players on their arse. The comparison is justified.

They are not laughable. Lawro said street playing in the best Liverpool sides that Wardy was the most skilful player he'd ever played with. High praise. Watching Vicente leaving players for dead emulated the excitement i felt as a kid watching Ward. Someone said that Wardy didn't do it in a high league but didn't he get 18 or 19 one season in the first division when we were struggling. That's pretty good.

It's a game of opinion I guess. It just felt that Ward is a club legend for his efforts getting us promoted as opposed to his pure ability. Admittedly, I didn't see enough of him to be 100% sure of this. Anyhow, all I will say is that I'm PRAYING that Vicente stays with us next season, whatever division we are in. And ironically, we should tell Vicente to listen to one of the other all time greats, Mark Lawrenson. "I defy anyone not to enjoy life in Brighton"

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Despite players like Ward, Case and Zamora, who will always be regarded as Brighton legends and rightly so.....Vicente is a different class for different reasons......How when he has the ball, time seems to stand still around him and how he makes it look so easy to do what he wants with the ball.

Exactly. It's like those scenes in Crouching Tiger or The Matrix when time slows down. But somehow Vicente is still going at normal speed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's no Mike Trusson.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Gotsmanov, anyone? He was special - way too good for his teammates, as I recall it, spraying passes around that no-one was smart enough to anticipate.

Absolutely THIS, I've not been this excited by a player since Sergei graced the Goldstone... and this is bearing in mind that we've had several seasons of a certain Bobby Zamora in the meantime who is rightfully regarded as one of our best ever players.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If Wardy had been around now he'd have been a mega star. Another poster said that Vicente is the only player since Wardy to create the same buzz of excitement every time he gets the ball (he is). That's how good Wardy was. BUT read the post by the Valencia fan on the Vicente Signs thread; this guy really was one of the BEST players in the WORLD in the early naughties and he's only 30 and he plays for us! If he wasn't so fragile he would still be playing for Spain with Xavi, Iniesta, Silva... and he'd probably be a (the) star in that side too.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I agree that, certainly in my 25 years going to the Albion, only Gotsmanov comes close to Vicente in terms of quality.

That said, if LuaLua were to play like he did last night all the time he would be vying for that spot too. He and Vicente were utterly unstoppable last night.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
He's magnificent. Interesting comment about time slowing down, I've commented on this to fellow fans at the ground. He seems to 'think' himself time and space on the ball. He rarely passes backwards, its all positive, he's either threading a ball in for a winger or forward, or he's skipping between defenders like they are stood still.

Its pretty clear he's in a different class to the other 21 players on the pitch.

An absolute joy to watch - worth the admission fee on his own last night.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's a game of opinion I guess. It just felt that Ward is a club legend for his efforts getting us promoted as opposed to his pure ability. Admittedly, I didn't see enough of him to be 100% sure of this. Anyhow, all I will say is that I'm PRAYING that Vicente stays with us next season, whatever division we are in. And ironically, we should tell Vicente to listen to one of the other all time greats, Mark Lawrenson. "I defy anyone not to enjoy life in Brighton"

First time around Ward was magic. But he never did it in the same way at the top level. Vicente has been there and got the t-shirt. Peter Ward is in his shadow - and there is no disgrace in that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here